View Full Version : Elvis Presley Color TV

etype2
11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
This is a screenshot off my television. Looks to be an RCA CTC-5? Still there today at the Graceland mansion.

http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1409.jpg

benman94
11-23-2016, 07:47 AM
RCA CTC-5 Super chassis, I believe that cabinet is the Westcott. :thumbsdn:
You'd think Elvis would have sprung for something a little nicer than a Super chassis five; just the step up to the Deluxe line would have been worth the extra dough.

David Roper
11-23-2016, 12:48 PM
ISTR that set was a gift from Elvis' record label. :king:

benman94
11-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Well shame on General Sarnoff for sending Elvis the color television equivalent of a Pontiac Aztec.

nasadowsk
11-23-2016, 08:36 PM
He probably could afford a better TV. I never understood Graceland. It's actually pretty small, and it's on a pretty major commercial road/area. He liked it though *shrug*

orthophonic
11-27-2016, 10:51 AM
When Elvis bought Graceland, it was a rural area with woods around it.

wa2ise
11-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Elvis or his wife probably picked it out for the cabinet ("That one looks nice and should look good next to the yellow curtains"), and if he lived in a strong signal area, it probably worked well enough.

Tom9589
11-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Elvis didn't marry until 1967, long after this TV was manufactured.

nasadowsk
11-27-2016, 08:02 PM
When Elvis bought Graceland, it was a rural area with woods around it.

Ok, THAT explains it. It sure isn't rural anymore....

Jon A.
11-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Knowing Elvis it probably doesn't have its original CRT or safety glass. :rolleyes:

Adam
11-27-2016, 10:41 PM
Elvis' actual TV room had 3 RCA table models in it. I think they were CTC-38s.

dieseljeep
11-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Elvis' actual TV room had 3 RCA table models in it. I think they were CTC-38s.

IIRC, they were CTC-31s. Another el-cheapo!:scratch2:

orthophonic
11-28-2016, 10:21 AM
The CTC 5 was a gift from RCA after he signed with them, it can be seen in the living room of the first house he bought before he bought and moved to Graceland.

RCA gave him A RCA TV/Stereo Combo in 1961 or so with a gold plaque commemorating his record sales, that combo is also still at Graceland, I believe
they display it in the trophy room.

Much later, Elvis had a RCA 2000 in his bedroom, that was probably a gift also
but I have no confirmation on that.

julianburke
11-30-2016, 08:10 AM
These were all gifts to him from RCA. Elvis did not know the difference of models of TV's. In 1957 that CTC5 regardless of how low end it was was certainly a very nice gift and what difference would it make anyway? It was stored up in his attic and was rather recently brought back down for appearance. He also had the little 7" B&W TV that was red in color from 1957-all comps from RCA. I'm sure there were many RCA comps over the years.
All he had to do was ask RCA for whatever his wants were and they were delivered.

slatton86
12-14-2016, 07:39 AM
I took the tour when I was about 10 years old. I remember being blown away by the basement. The mirrored staircase, the bar, and three RCA sets. I also remember being intrigued by a TV near the beginning of the tour. I don't remember anything about it now except wood cabinet, but I made sure I touched it with my knuckle as I went by for some reason.

dieseljeep
12-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Well shame on General Sarnoff for sending Elvis the color television equivalent of a Pontiac Aztec.
I worked on the low-end table model CTC5, the set they advertised for $495.
It was a low hours set and looked pretty good.
The Pontiac Aztec was a poor seller but most people that owned them were happy with them. It wasn't anything like the Vega. :thumbsdn:

benman94
12-14-2016, 11:07 AM
My grandmother had one years ago. She actually liked the styling of it, and it rode well, but that thing was a total lemon mechanically. Fix one problem with it and three more would pop up...

dieseljeep
12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
My grandmother had one years ago. She actually liked the styling of it, and it rode well, but that thing was a total lemon mechanically. Fix one problem with it and three more would pop up...

Kind of like Electronic M, Tom Carlson's, wondercar. You wonder what's going to go wrong next. :sigh:
I never kept it a secret, that I was never crazy about GM products. I only owned one in 52 years and that was one too many. :scratch2:

Electronic M
12-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Kind of like Electronic M, Tom Carlson's, wondercar. You wonder what's going to go wrong next. :sigh:
I never kept it a secret, that I was never crazy about GM products. I only owned one in 52 years and that was one too many. :scratch2:

You Mean the GMC Envoy, right? I expected it to be a beater for the rather low price I paid...Though I'll admit there were a handful of things I wish I'd flushed out before buying it. I'd have preferred a Honda but nothing old enough to be in my budget could tow worth a crap.

I know someone with a 205K Suburban that has been about as good as their Hondas and is still going strong....I'd still like to kick mom's ass for demanding I not get one simply because she don't like how they look. My winter car was supposed to be pure utilitarian if looks were going to be part of my considerations for a utility vehicle I'd have bought a 100K 90's Buick Roadmaster woody wagon...Granted she hates those too. There are times I think she purposely likes what I hate and hates what I like (while demanding say in decisions that are NOT hers to make) to piss me off. I've gotta start saving up to move out before her pickiness and intrusions into my affairs drives me up a wall. :sigh:

Steve K
12-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Hmm, I don't think it's your mother's ass that needs the kicking.

Electronic M
12-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Hmm, I don't think it's your mother's ass that needs the kicking.

:finger: If I'm buying something with MY MONEY then it is LEGALLY MY choice AND MINE ALONE what I buy. Her perpetual unsolicited HARASSMENT to try and get me to buy a car that is best for her KOOKY/stuck up/random sensibilities INSTEAD of the car BEST FOR ME is downright BS. She has been pestering me (by that I mean she would say something highly inflammatory and a shouting match would gradually insue) for months EVEN WHEN I was unemployed and we BOTH fully knew that I could not afford anything, and such arguments were purely hypothetical....She was demanding I buy a NEW or NEWER car before I even had any interest in another car....And wanted it to be a dinky modern car without a damn bit of utility/value to me...As soon as I became amenable to eventually owning a newer vehicle on the condition that it be a model USEFUL to me she agreed for maybe a day then immediately started trying to force me to buy something I did not want.

If she were buying it for me or chipping into the purchase price I'd be fine with her having a substantial amount say (granted if it was not a reasonable compromise I'd reject her purchase aid)....But when I'm buying something with MY MONEY ALONE, AS A FREE AMERICAN ADULT I damn well EXPECT not to be TOLD how to spend my discretionary income, ESPECIALLY when I'm being responsible with it.

And let me ask YOU something: If you were out of space, broke and or disliked roundys and I told you "You have to buy this aircraft carrier roundy combo or I'll ban you from VK" HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?....Well that is the type of shit I've had to put up with for nearly a year...

SpaceAge
12-14-2016, 04:31 PM
:lurk:

etype2
12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Elvis video wall.

https://goo.gl/images/Ee8Qe7