View Full Version : I'm getting a Zenith 25CC50!

TUD1
09-26-2016, 12:36 PM
I saw this on Atlanta Craigslist last night - a 1972 Zenith Chromacolor 25CC50 just like Doug found last year. My friend in Atlanta will be picking it up most likely on Thursday. Finally getting a Zenith "tin can" set!

Electronic M
09-26-2016, 02:26 PM
That looks real nice! :drool:

Those were hybrid sets, right? Weren't those the last or almost the last with the 60's style metal back?

TUD1
09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Yes. 1973 was the last year for the metal back cover. My set is a 1972, and as such it is Zenith's last (or next to last) hybrid set. After this came the 25DC56 all solid state chassis, which I have in my Zenith console. Before the 25CC50, there was the 20BC50, which I also have in another console.

Jon A.
09-26-2016, 03:13 PM
It's a hybrid all right, and a sweet one at that.

I re-watched a video earlier in which Doug fixes a 25DC56 with a shorted safety cap, one of the dreaded white ones. In that video he said 1973 was the last year for the metal back.

Edit: Whoops, replied too slowly. :)

TUD1
09-26-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm celebrating getting a new Chromacolor by watching my 25DC56.

Jon A.
09-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Right on, I'm watching mine right now. It's used daily. Darn thing's been starting up with no HV lately though. A few light kicks eventually brings it back.

TUD1
09-26-2016, 11:08 PM
If your set is a tube Chromacolor, try using some Deoxit on the tube pins. That and cleaning the tuner and the controls are the first things I do to a set. I firmly believe that just cleaning can make a world of difference on a set's performance. In the meantime, here is a close up of the control panel on my TV. I just love the looks of this set.

Jon A.
09-26-2016, 11:39 PM
No tubes, it's a 25DC56. It likely is an intermittent connection though; right now I'm running it with the back off and will tap around when the problem reappears. The tuner is dirty though.

It certainly is a nice set. As for mine, I prefer the tuner bezel on certain other Chromacolor consoles. The stock bezel comes off easily enough; I wonder if the other kind would fit.

TUD1
09-27-2016, 12:19 AM
If you start poking around in there, DON'T touch the horizontal output transitor. I once got horizontally deflected almost across the room.

Jon A.
09-27-2016, 02:45 AM
Oh yeah, I read about that. I'm sure I'll be horizontally deflected one of these days - I've already been bitten twice by a residual CRT charge. A full wallop is much worse I know.

I've had only one module out, the 9-57 horizontal module. The set started acting up shortly after so that's where I started tapping (with a pencil). Boom, the HV popped back in, then went again. More tapping did the same thing. I've had little success with DeOxit so those pins will need a good manual cleaning. Subbing my spare 9-57s did not improve things.

Mom took a shine to the Zenith once I set it up in the living room on a trial basis. More incentive to keep it performing well.

sampson159
09-27-2016, 07:07 PM
this is the same model set that my friend had in his store.best picture i had ever saw.people came to sit and watch it.i love these zenith sets

TUD1
09-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah, these late 60's, early 70's Zenith's are among my favorite TV's. Built to survive a nuclear war, and one in good working order can produce a stellar picture. I'm certainly looking forward to getting this set.

TUD1
09-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Good news, everybody! The Zenith 25CC50 is safe awaiting repair in Atlanta at my friend's house. It does have a couple boo-boos. The UHF must have taken a hit at some point. The gyro drive shaft is bent, and the knob hits against the plastic, and the plastic itself is broken. There is a nice big chunk missing out of it, and the UHF numbers are all visible. There are also some burnt tube sockets that will have to be replaced. It's pretty clean except for some very light rust inside.

TUD1
09-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Broke plastic.

wa2ise
09-30-2016, 03:19 PM
An aside: Looking at this chassis, you can see that aside from the high voltage cage, a plastic piece I see just under left of the CRT neck, and tuner, the only parts above deck are the tubes. What Zenith did was to have their assemblers (hand crafters) insert the resistors, caps and such into the cone shaped terminals. Things like IF transformer coils and trimpots had presoldered leads added to them so they could be mounted and stuffed as well. Then after all such parts were inserted, they'd take the chassis and send it thru a wave solder machine that would solder all the connections at one time. A bit like what they do for circuit boards. Then they'd add the power transformer and high voltage cage and such.
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192651&d=1475201905

dieseljeep
10-01-2016, 10:56 AM
An aside: Looking at this chassis, you can see that aside from the high voltage cage, a plastic piece I see just under left of the CRT neck, and tuner, the only parts above deck are the tubes. What Zenith did was to have their assemblers (hand crafters) insert the resistors, caps and such into the cone shaped terminals. Things like IF transformer coils and trimpots had presoldered leads added to them so they could be mounted and stuffed as well. Then after all such parts were inserted, they'd take the chassis and send it thru a wave solder machine that would solder all the connections at one time. A bit like what they do for circuit boards. Then they'd add the power transformer and high voltage cage and such.

GE started that practice in the early 50's with their AA5 radios.

Jon A.
10-01-2016, 12:28 PM
No wonder so many sets are known for troublesome solder connections - bad or misadjusted wave solder machines. I pulled the convergence board on my '76 Electrohome console once I saw poking at the left horizontal blue pot caused the most disturbance in a crosshatch pattern. Yup, that's where the cracked solder joint is. Other connections look like problems waiting to happen so I'll redo those as well.

TUD1
10-02-2016, 11:44 PM
The Zenith Chromacolor is working! Sort of. The focus pot doesn't work, and the vertical is messed up. It's a work in progress.

Jon A.
10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Even so, it looks very good. Not surprising for one of these. My Zenith worked right away - except for the power tuning - but still needed work to run reliably. It still had the white safety caps and the screws were missing from the tuner drive tab wheel causing the motor to run non-stop but not change the channel. Goodness knows why those screws were gone.

TUD1
10-09-2016, 10:55 PM
I got the Zenith home today, and I'm watching it in my hallway. I could not muscle it into my bedroom yet. Tomorrow. The cord died in my efforts of getting it in the house. It has a perfect picture though.

TUD1
10-10-2016, 11:18 AM
I have achieved the impossible. It's a good thing tin can sets are rare. I'm already sick of this one. Unfortunately, the cord died, and the only other cord I have that will fit this one is elsewhere. Whenever I find it, I'll have to take the back off again.

Electronic M
10-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Just be glad it is not a roundy that is heavier, and has a bulkier cabinet that is hard to get your arms around...I once, after a move, out of sheer impatience hefted a metal table model roundy from the garage to the stairs, up the stairs, and finally on top of a console single handed. I could have waited for dad to get home form work and help me, but I wanted to watch my roundy immediately. :D :tongue:

TUD1
10-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Just be glad it is not a roundy that is heavier, and has a bulkier cabinet that is hard to get your arms around...I once, after a move, out of sheer impatience hefted a metal table model roundy from the garage to the stairs, up the stairs, and finally on top of a console single handed. I could have waited for dad to get home form work and help me, but I wanted to watch my roundy immediately. :D :tongue:

MY GOD MAN! After moving this thing probably 25 feet, I was absolutely dead. I didn't even have any stairs to climb! To be honest, I really do prefer console TV's. These table sets are just too awkward and heavy. A console was designed to be on the floor, so there is no ungodly lifting. Plus, they're more comfortable to work on if you have enough room.

Electronic M
10-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Well I did work smart and not hard* with the stairs...The stairs were carpeted so I rolled the set onto it's smooth top and pushed it up the stairs using ramp action as a force multiplier. I can carry that set over level ground just fine, but there just ain't the grip points on it to carry it up narrow-ish stairs. The hardest part was lifting it up three feet onto the console.

*Granted my family had just moved ourselves out of a 3-story walk up apartment where most of my sets/consoles were kept all the way up stairs, and I was built like superman then.
A month later me and dad emptied out a ~15x20 storage locker our selves, and carried a dresser bigger and heavier than an aircraft-carrier combo console up the stairs. In years past we could barely lift it (I've seen 3-4 trained movers struggling to move that damn thing), and it was still hard to move for long on level ground but we DID get it turned on it's end, slid up the stairs (I was on the bottom end doing %75 of the work) on it's top, and lifted on back it's end at the top The stairs dead end at the top so that was the only way to get it into the hall...I literally had to stand on the stairs, keep it from sliding down and help upright it onto the top landing all at the same time!...Mom was utterly dumb founded that we were able to pull it off.

I've carried 23" CCII table sets up and down stairs without setting them down single handed, and I considered it easier than some of the consoles I got up the stairs...Sure beats moving that dresser by a country mile.:D

Get good at moving BIG sets and you will have a figure that should attract some galls, and scare off the wiseguys. :D It is the best workout and often the only workout I get.

Jeffhs
10-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I have achieved the impossible. It's a good thing tin can sets are rare. I'm already sick of this one. Unfortunately, the cord died, and the only other cord I have that will fit this one is elsewhere. Whenever I find it, I'll have to take the back off again.

That Zenith 25CC50 is a great set, from what I've heard and read about it. The 25" CRT is probably why your set is so heavy.

Where do you find the room for all those TVs, and still have room to move around? :scratch2:

BTW, how are you getting the same picture on all your TVs? :scratch2: (I remember one of your recent posts in which you showed a picture of several of your sets showing the same program.) My best guess is you are splitting the cable signal among all of them. You can get away with splitting the cable between two sets, but how you are able to split one cable among all of your bedroom TVs is beyond me. The only thing I can come up with is you must be using an OTA antenna on one or more sets. I say this because I noticed you were watching a cable channel on one set by setting the UHF tuner on channel 22. I didn't think most TVs' UHF tuners could receive cable channels very well, if at all.

TUD1
10-10-2016, 07:46 PM
That Zenith 25CC50 is a great set, from what I've heard and read about it. The 25" CRT is probably why your set is so heavy.

Where do you find the room for all those TVs, and still have room to move around? :scratch2:

BTW, how are you getting the same picture on all your TVs? :scratch2: (I remember one of your recent posts in which you showed a picture of several of your sets showing the same program.) My best guess is you are splitting the cable signal among all of them. You can get away with splitting the cable between two sets, but how you are able to split one cable among all of your bedroom TVs is beyond me. The only thing I can come up with is you must be using an OTA antenna on one or more sets. I say this because I noticed you were watching a cable channel on one set by setting the UHF tuner on channel 22. I didn't think most TVs' UHF tuners could receive cable channels very well, if at all.

Two words. Blonder Tongue. I use an AM-40-550 to broadcast on channel 16 UHF so I don't have coax wires running every which way. I have a firm belief that TV's should absolutely not be chained to a cable box or converter or what have you. A couple of my sets are hooked up via coax, but that's because their UHF tuners aren't the best.

Electronic M
10-10-2016, 08:03 PM
That picture reminds me of my video wall in my room in the old apartment. I had that room PACKED...It's contents comfortably filled 2 rooms at the house we moved to...Here is a picture from that apartment.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0429.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN0429.jpg.html)

all sets worked, but I could only run all of them simultaneously for just over warm up time before tripping the puny 15A panel breakers. :D

TUD1
10-10-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm getting darn close to having to stack consoles like that. When my mother saw my new Chromacolor, she was furious. So much so that she refused to even look at when I turned it on. Here is another picture. Of the same room.

Electronic M
10-10-2016, 09:06 PM
It might be time to look for a bigger place of your own, or instituting a 1 in 1 out policy...Battles with parental land lords can get nasty, and it becomes worse if prized sets get caught in the crossfire...A friend of mine who don't even collect TVs is moving out of his parent's place because he got sick of all the shit his folks (his mom has to have some kind of cleaning/minimalism OCD) were giving him over what little he does have.

I know the feeling...I want to collect vintage cars, and have one new-ish one for utility purposes, and the picayune BS requirements Mom wants to force on me have caused many a big fight (and I have not even tried to buy one yet!)...I mean seriously not even the government has the right to tell me how to spend my money in the way they are trying to...It is getting to the point where in a year or 2 I may try/have to move out to get away from this crap.

TUD1
10-10-2016, 10:39 PM
I have 236 days until I move to Wisconsin. I'm gettin' outa this Allybammy craphole. I want to find a decent sized house with a basement in Waupaca county, preferably New London or Clintonville.

WISCOJIM
10-11-2016, 12:03 AM
I have 236 days until I move to Wisconsin. I'm gettin' outa this Allybammy craphole. I want to find a decent sized house with a basement in Waupaca county, preferably New London or Clintonville.Hard to find a decent sized house without a basement up here. Basements are pretty much standard. Not only that, most areas of Waupaca county have few restrictions on outbuildings, so you can have almost unlimited storage up here.

Your biggest problem (other than winter) is that there is a lot of competition for the TVs that come to market. There are probably more TV collectors in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin than any other part of the country.

WISCOJIM
10-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Rookies. https://www.google.com/search?q=stacked+tv+art&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS709US709&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii7dvy79HPAhUE4iYKHUGoCTsQsAQIHQ&biw=1344&bih=748

dieseljeep
10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I have 236 days until I move to Wisconsin. I'm gettin' outa this Allybammy craphole. I want to find a decent sized house with a basement in Waupaca county, preferably New London or Clintonville.

Did you live in this area before? If you're looking to buy, best to start looking at the MLS websites or Zillow and get an idea of what's available and the selling price. That's how, I bought my last three properties. :thmbsp:

TUD1
10-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I've lived in Alabama my whole life, and I'm very sick of it. I found a really nice 3 story house in New London for $59,000.

Jeffhs
10-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I found a really nice 3 story house in New London for $59,000.

That's great, Dave. I'm happy for you. However, I only hope the seller can hold the house for you the next 236 days until you are ready to move. A house selling for $59K probably won't remain on the market very long.

TUD1
10-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I don't expect that particular house to be available when I move. But that just goes to show that houses in that area are pretty cheap.

Kevin Kuehn
10-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Your biggest problem (other than winter) is that there is a lot of competition for the TVs that come to market. There are probably more TV collectors in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin than any other part of the country.

I don't doubt that's a problem down south or to the east, however if you move north/northwest a couple hundred miles, that situation quickly dwindles. Also, judging by the multitude of unclaimed sets typically on Minneapolis/St Paul Craigslist, there's apparently very little collecting competition in that very large metro area. My bigger problem is trying NOT to look at CL, as there's almost always something interesting. :D

TUD1
10-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Checking Craigslist is a chore for me. Every Single Time I check it, I see once nice TV turned into a fish tank, a dog bed, or a bar. It just disgusts me to no end when I see that. Once in a blue moon, something will turn up. Like the Zenith this thread was about, or back in April, I found a CTC-21 combo, that I sorely regret not getting.

dieseljeep
10-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Hard to find a decent sized house without a basement up here. Basements are pretty much standard. Not only that, most areas of Waupaca county have few restrictions on outbuildings, so you can have almost unlimited storage up here.

There's still plenty to go around, especially if he gets to meet people like us.
If he settles near you, there's a source right there. :thmbsp:

WISCOJIM
10-13-2016, 01:09 PM
There's still plenty to go around, especially if he gets to meet people like us.
If he settles near you, there's a source right there. :thmbsp:
I'm readying another group for Craigslist now. I'll post them here in the classifieds first. Probably another week or so, if the weather holds up. Pickup will be here in Appleton, or I can deliver to the Nov. 6th WARCI meet on Milwaukee's south side.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/5826656637.html

jr_tech
10-13-2016, 01:45 PM
I've lived in Alabama my whole life, and I'm very sick of it.
Just curious, I have never been to Alabama, but have seen pictures of some beautiful scenery there...what don't you like about the state?

jr

wa2ise
10-13-2016, 03:57 PM
I've lived in Alabama my whole life, and I'm very sick of it.

Neil Young didn't like Alabama either. :nono:

Electronic M
10-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I don't expect that particular house to be available when I move. But that just goes to show that houses in that area are pretty cheap.

Plan to have your own workshop. The radio clubs here are not 'maker spaces' like some of the ones down south...There is not a dedicated club building and club meets consist of members congregating un-godly early in the morning a few random days a year in a parking lot or hall to swap radios.

TUD1
10-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Just curious, I have never been to Alabama, but have seen pictures of some beautiful scenery there...what don't you like about the state?

jr

Oh, where to begin? Well, it's hot (and humid) from mid February to late November, (I'm talking 80's), Birmingham is an absolute CRAPHOLE, and the scenery is really not very nice, and I've been pretty much all over the state. The people are awful. All with that redneck accent, and 90% are stupid as can be and have no life. In my neighborhood, if you don't have a Jon Dear riding mower, and use it constantly, you're a nobody. Houses are expensive and substandard. For me anyway. Shall I go on? Did I mention that I absolutely HATE the heat. I love cold. Or what passes for cold here.

Jeffhs
10-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Oh, where to begin? Well, it's hot (and humid) from mid February to late November, (I'm talking 80's), Birmingham is an absolute CRAPHOLE, and the scenery is really not very nice, and I've been pretty much all over the state. The people are awful. All with that redneck accent, and 90% are stupid as can be and have no life. In my neighborhood, if you don't have a Jon Dear riding mower, and use it constantly, you're a nobody. Houses are expensive and substandard. For me anyway. Shall I go on? Did I mention that I absolutely HATE the heat. I love cold. Or what passes for cold here.

I just looked up Wisconsin on Wikipedia and found the state does get quite a bit of snow in the winter, as it is a state in the Great Lakes region. If you like snow and cold, you will feel right at home there. Most of the snow comes off Lake Superior (the state has seen as much as 160 inches a year), so you will have a lot of the white stuff during heavy snowstorms.

Why do folks in your neighborhood think you're a "nobody" if you don't have and don't use a John Deere riding lawn mower? :scratch2: Does everyone there have such a mower? Are John Deere mowers considered status symbols in Birmingham?

Unless you are talking about heat plus humidity, as I think you are, temperatures in the 80s aren't bad. It is much worse, however, in Florida, where the temperature plus humidity can go through the roof. I often see on the TV weather forecast (the national one on the networks' world news) where temperatures in Miami, in particular, can go as high as 90 or even 100+. I am not sure about Alabama, but it seems to have the same type of climate.

In any event, I wish you all the best when you move in seven months. You are doing the right thing by moving away from Alabama if living there doesn't agree with you. The only things to watch out for, as I mentioned, are the heavy lake-effect snowstorms off Lake Superior. Every one of the Great Lakes gets this kind of thing in the winter, so if you move near one of them you can expect lots of snow. I am by no means an expert on weather, but I'm sure others here, such as VK member Wiscojim in Wisconsin, can give you a much better idea of what you can expect if you move to that state.

TUD1
10-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that. About the riding mowers, it's kind of a running gag my dad and I have. In my little slice of heaven, the east side of Gardendale, almost every one of the fat, bald, shirtless rednecks has a riding mower, and on a clear day, they will all use it. Every one of them. They have absolutely no use for them, as the yards are half the size of mine, and I can use a push mower to do the whole thing in 20 minutes. Some of the morons will sit on their running lawn mower while eating. It's just really sad. I refuse to use a riding mower just because they're loud and annoying, and I don't want to look like a lazy bum. If I had several acres to mow, sure! And the culture (or lack therof) is disgusting. Most houses around here are either run down shacks, or McMansions that cost a quarter million and are ugly as sin. Whenever I'm anywhere in Wisconsin, I feel like I'm on a different planet. The atmosphere is so much nicer, the weather is better, etc. And all that "southern hospitality" crap is absolute hogwash. Believe me, after nine months of heat, I'm ready for the cold! It stays in the upper 90's and 100's from June to September here. In fact, the high for tomorrow is 90 degrees!

Jon A.
10-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Man, seems Alabama is the Nova Scotia of the US.

Those who live for cold weather, me included, are a rare breed here. We can get just about any kind of crap weather and most will say "At least it's not snow", ugh. So yeah, about 90% of people here are stupid too, for many reasons. Those who actually move to the Atlantic provinces from other parts of the country are either grossly misinformed or crazy.

TUD1
10-14-2016, 12:45 AM
And the part that really boggles my head is that these people are PROUD of their "Southern Heritage." WHAT‽ This place is just abhorent. As I type this, I'm depending on my 1970's Gibson window A/C with a bazillion hours on it. If it fails - so sleeping tonight!

DaveWM
10-14-2016, 04:52 PM
plenty of good folks in bama, I suspect there are good folks and bad folks pretty much anywhere there are folks. Hope you enjoy your new location.