View Full Version : Picked up the Hoffman 613

Eric H
09-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Picked up this set that was offered last week or so.

Its in decent shape but is missing the dial scale for the radio, I have one from a junked set, if I can find it.

Stopped at the Market Broiler for some Sea Food and will head home as soon as I'm done.

Pictures later.

Eric H
09-17-2016, 09:55 PM
And some pictures.

These Hoffman's were made in Los Angeles so it's probably not surprising that I've had seven of them over the years.

I had the radio dial from a set i parted out a couple of years ago, now I can't find it, I may have tossed it thinking I'd never need one of those again. :dammit:

The CRT was flat at first but came up strong at an elevated voltage and seemed to stay there afterwards at a normal heater voltage, cutoff was good too.

I tried powering the set up, the interlock connector is broken and a cord was wired in directly but was cut off flush, I managed to fish out the ends and hook it up with alligator clips but the set is completely dead, it draws no current at all, possibly the sketchy cord is the problem, or the function switch may be dirty.

Eric H
09-18-2016, 12:55 PM
I found the dial scale and bezel last night!

bandersen
09-18-2016, 01:14 PM
:thmbsp: Been there too many times. Seems like I spend as much time looking for parts as actually working on sets.

I have a couple Hoffmas in my storage loacker. I got the Mahogany from a fellow VK member in MI and the blonde in a package deal in WI. I think you helped me out with knobs for the blonde.

They appear to be very solidly built sets and I'm looking forward to working on them.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8441/29476087890_a5a3c71d69.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LUGDZU)

Eric H
09-18-2016, 07:01 PM
They must have made a million of these things! and they are well built.

Anyway, I pulled the chassis tonight to find out why it wouldn't power up, it was simply a bad fuse underneath the chassis, not sure if it's factory or added but it looked fairly high amps and it was corroded or overheated rather than actually blown, jumped it and a wirewound resistor to the 6BG6 and brought it up on the variac.

The tubes light, nothing smoked, it drew about an amp and had a little scratching in the speaker when the volume was turned, but nothing else, no oscillator noise, either horizontal or vertical, just dead quiet.

Vacuumed out the dirt and dead spiders (and one live one) and buttoned it back up, lost a small knob in the process, may have sucked it into the Vac cleaner but couldn't feel it in the bag, maybe the Cat took off with it, oh well, I probably have a spare.

I guess the green screen cover didn't dim the picture enough because someone put a fairly dark tinted piece of plastic between the CRT and the glass, they must have run it with the brightness cranked to be able to see it!

Rechecked the CRT to see if it's still checking good, and it is, very good.

There were also a couple of Pre-War era Halsam brand Checker pieces inside the cabinet under the screen area, some kid probably dropped them in through the missing dial glass.