View Full Version : Gadget to Slide Chassis in and Out of Cabinet

fixmeplease
09-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Im working on a 1953 Westinghouse 21" Cabinet TV and got it working. Some more caps to change, etc., but this chassis is too heavy to be pulling in and out. I know Ive seen a post on it but couldnt find it. What's a good item to use to slide it in and out, and preferrably to sit it on something (when slid out) and work under it if need be. Some type of runner but Im sure a few of you have suggestions of things youve made. Thanks in advance!

dieseljeep
09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Im working on a 1953 Westinghouse 21" Cabinet TV and got it working. Some more caps to change, etc., but this chassis is too heavy to be pulling in and out. I know Ive seen a post on it but couldnt find it. What's a good item to use to slide it in and out, and preferrably to sit it on something (when slid out) and work under it if need be. Some type of runner but Im sure a few of you have suggestions of things youve made. Thanks in advance!
Is the CRT, chassis mounted? To move heavier items, I made a raised platform that fits on a four wheel dolly, the type that's sold at Harbor Freight and the platform has a Formica top. The heavy items, slide real easy on Formica. Of coarse, if the platform is too low, it's going to make chassis restoration difficult.
If the CRT is chassis mounted, I just finish the entire restoration before replacing the chassis in the cabinet.

fixmeplease
09-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Yes the CRT is chassis mounted. I do plan on finishing it outside of the cabinet, but I guess I am thinking of future years for repairs as its heavy, maybe 65 pounds and awkward. I like the formica and cart idea. Anything is an improvement of lifting it out. Thanks!

ohohyodafarted
09-18-2016, 12:16 AM

I know a collector who uses a hydraulic cart like this one from Harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

Adjustable height from 9.5" to 28.5" Slide chassis out of cabinet onto cart, pump cart up to work bench height and slide chassis onto bench.

fixmeplease
09-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Thats what I need! Thanks! I'll watch for a auto shop auction as they will have something similar to that and cheaper.

I put the chassis in yesterday. The biggest problem was the wood base in the cabinet was plywood and it had to be pushed in against the grain,(they werent thinking when they cut it and installed it) so I laid strips of tin down and slid it in, then pulled the tin out. I cut an old tv stand down to the right height to sit the chassis on to slide it into the cabinet, but if it comes out again I will have a stand that adjusts so no lifting.

Not the prettiest tv but it has a very nice picture.

jr_tech
09-18-2016, 12:14 PM
I put the chassis in yesterday. The biggest problem was the wood base in the cabinet was plywood and it had to be pushed in against the grain,(they werent thinking when they cut it and installed it) so I laid strips of tin down and slid it in, then pulled the tin out.

I would be tempted to have a couple narrow strips of formica cut to the right length to accommodate the sliding of the chassis, and glue them permanently in place. :scratch2:

Nice picture!

jr

fixmeplease
09-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Probably a good idea too. Thanks!

dieseljeep
09-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I know a collector who uses a hydraulic cart like this one from Harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

Adjustable height from 9.5" to 28.5" Slide chassis out of cabinet onto cart, pump cart up to work bench height and slide chassis onto bench.

The last time, I went to H-F, I looked at the hydraulic lift cart and it was really tempting. It's still in the planning stage.
I prefer my benches to be at least 32 to 36 inches of the floor an I have to check to see if it goes that high.
Everyone seems to knock H-F, as it's all Chinese made imports, but it's good value for the money. :thmbsp:

WISCOJIM
09-19-2016, 12:49 PM
The harbor freight 1,000 lb cart is the way to go. http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

But at $260 I'd wait for a sale or coupon deal.

dieseljeep
09-21-2016, 10:44 AM
The harbor freight 1,000 lb cart is the way to go. http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

But at $260 I'd wait for a sale or coupon deal.

I'm doing that very same thing.
Either that, or dropping a hint to family for H-F gift cards for Christmas, for a good amount of the selling price. :thmbsp: