View Full Version : Welcome me to the forum!

loops
09-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

I want to introduce myself. I've been interested in electronics since I was young. Now, I repair electronics for fun and to save money. I don't see the point of getting rid of something that can be fixed often times for very low cost.

I don't consider myself an absolute newbie anymore - but I still do have a lot to learn.

In the past I have fixed a Macintosh LC III (motherboard and psu recap, board wash). I have also fixed a couple of tv's - a 90's zenith - which had a vertical collapse issue due to bad joints.

The other tv was a 13" magnavox - early 90's - which had slanted video on the last 1/3 of the screen - and more so when brighter colors were on the screen. The HV ended up being around 14K volts, it's rated at max 23.5K volts - so it was about half what it was supposed to be. This ended up being the fault of open caps.

It always amazes me how much more versatile analog technology is when compared to digital technology. Analog technology will keep going for a long time with huge variances in part specs, while our digital technology - well - not so much.

I recently purchased a Sencore CG 135 - which needs electrical restoration - it is my next project. It needs new caps and new resistors - they all seem way out of specification - about double the intended rating.

I am looking forward to meeting and conversing with you on these forums as I try and learn new things. I'm sure I'll have my questions along the way that hopefully those more seasoned than I might have a thought or two about.

It's great to be here. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your community.

Username1
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Hi !

Well before they all welcome you to the forum.... There will be a secret vote, and they
will also come by yer house and look in the windows to make sure you don't have any
flat screen tvs...... Yikes, the last guy the caught with one hidden in the closet.....
You don-wanna-know what they did with that guy.....

But welcome anyway..... At least till the inquisition gets there.....

PS - my first and only NEW store bought computer was a Mac LCII !

Titan1a
09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the fray. We like both kinds: tubes and semiconductors!

Dude111
09-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Welcome ashore :)

electronjohn
09-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Glad you're here!

Sandy G
09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Just DON'T Shyte in the ice machine you oughta be OK..And always remember-The R-390A series of radios were the finest ever made, period, end of discussion.

loops
09-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Hi !

Well before they all welcome you to the forum.... There will be a secret vote, and they
will also come by yer house and look in the windows to make sure you don't have any
flat screen tvs...... Yikes, the last guy the caught with one hidden in the closet.....

Ah... I was wondering why my dog was barking at the back door last night. I was almost certain that I saw the light from a flashlight in my back yard, but dismissed it as being paranoid... Now I know. :)

Thanks for that... You really made me laugh. :) :)

Nice to meet everyone. I like vacuum tube tv's better honestly. The reason I have mostly 90's era stuff right now is because that is what I keep finding people dumping in my neighborhood on trash night. I'm starting there. Eventually I hope to obtain some earlier models - 50's - 70's as I find them.

jsashton
09-08-2016, 08:38 PM
I have a Hoffman TV... I think it is an "Easy Vision 1949". The cabinet is in very good condition. Inside it is full of tubes... nothing appears to be missing. I don't know if it works. The front panel is missing the vertical "dial" apparently for an AM/FM radio is missing.

If anyone wants it... please let me know... it is free. Free is always good :>)
I am just south of Los Angeles so I can take it to you if you are near by... otherwise.. shipping is on you.

I would HATE to send it to the dump if there is any TV collector who would like (appreciate) it.

johnA@ashtoncolvinDOTcom

PLEASE DO NOT SENT ME ANY MESSAGES TRYING TO SELL ME ANYTHING... I JUST WANT TO GET THIS SET TO SOMEONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT.

I saw one that looks like it on this link... although mine has a cabinet with doors that close over the screen....
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/hoffman.htm
On the link it calls it a 1949 Hoffman Easy Vision Model 612....again, mine has doors that don't show on the one on the link

Electronic M
09-08-2016, 10:06 PM
You really should post a FREE ad in the classifieds section of this forum (so people that want to buy things see it).

Also I recommend not typing your fully correct email, and fixed your email so '.' is replaced by 'DOT' that way automated spam programs are less likely to grab your email and send you crap.