View Full Version : The problem with collecting TV's...

TUD1
08-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Is that sometimes you can't decide which one to watch! I pulled out my 1976 Zenith CCII 13" today, and after some discrepencies with the luminance and vertical modules, I finally got a nice picture out of it. I've added it to my Zenith museum, which consists of my 1937 Zenith 5S127, my Royal 2000, the 1973 Chromacolor, and the 1959 green radio. I had to move the 1959 early American style radio, even though it sounds amazing, there was no more room for it in the Zenith museum.

Kamakiri
08-12-2016, 06:33 AM
I dunno...I would have guessed that the biggest problem is space :D

Even when I started limiting myself to 1940s 10 and 12" sets, and XL-100s.....that didn't last ;)

MRX37
08-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Ah that picture takes me back...

Hope you can afford the light bill...

TUD1
08-12-2016, 07:37 AM
I dunno...I would have guessed that the biggest problem is space :D

Even when I started limiting myself to 1940s 10 and 12" sets, and XL-100s.....that didn't last ;)

Yeah, I suppose that's the worst problem. I ran out of space very quickly doing this. And I still have to accomodate my Admiral Combo!

vts1134
08-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I dunno...I would have guessed that the biggest problem is space :D...

+1...and friends starting to resent you because you've asked them for the 100th time to help heave a television into your basement.

Electronic M
08-12-2016, 08:45 AM
You do develop favorites though. In my room I tend to use my '71 and '61 Zenith color sets...Used to be the '71 and a '64 Slivertone CTC-15 clone. Other TV areas have other favorites. I usually run 2 so that if one starts acting up I can keep watching

Kamakiri
08-12-2016, 09:52 AM
+1...and friends starting to resent you because you've asked them for the 100th time to help heave a television into your basement.

This is why it's important to network with local collectors....you heave theirs and they heave yours! :)

Jon A.
08-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Ah, the XL-100, my first 70s color set, and still not fixed (vertical issue).

I have to heave my own sets. I brought a total beater console home on a dolly over 7.69 Km (thanks MapQuest) or about 4 1/2 miles. Much of that trip was along a highway shoulder. I usually take 19" sets home on buses.

Once I got my 1973 Zenith going reliably I became a little tired of looking at it. An aught 6" 20" Toshiba sits on top of it and is used daily. I prefer my slightly beaten 1979 Sylvania console. I like the cabinet and the picture was beautiful when it worked. Once I put in a new tripler... its third at least... I tried to replace a too-short wire on the focus pot and a solder pad came off and now I can't find another pot, argh.

maxhifi
08-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Ah, the XL-100, my first 70s color set, and still not fixed (vertical issue).

I have to heave my own sets. I brought a total beater console home on a dolly over 7.69 Km (thanks MapQuest) or about 4 1/2 miles. Much of that trip was along a highway shoulder. I usually take 19" sets home on buses.

Wow! That's dedication!

TUD1
10-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Well, Videokarma, mark your calenders. I swore I'd never do it, but today, I have officially started stacking consoles. My CTC-40 seems more than cabable of holding up my 1971 Zenith 20BC50. I tested it out by putting my 300 pound self it on, and it didn't even creak.

Electronic M
10-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Well, Videokarma, mark your calenders. I swore I'd never do it, but today, I have officially started stacking consoles. My CTC-40 seems more than cabable of holding up my 1971 Zenith 20BC50. I tested it out by putting my 300 pound self it on, and it didn't even creak.

I see your stack and raise you 2 console stacks...One of which has 100+lbs of Concord EIAJ VTR and 19" Zenith space command monochrome metal table sitting on top. :D:thmbsp:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0429.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN0429.jpg.html)

fixmeplease
10-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Now I know what my future looks like lol

RCAZenith
10-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Out of curiosity - how many of y'all are married? I know my wife would never go for that much clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WISCOJIM
10-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Out of curiosity - how many of y'all are married? I know my wife would never go for that much clutter.

You could also ask how many of these guys are still living with their parents? And how do their parents like this kind of clutter?

vts1134
10-18-2016, 09:30 AM

I'm married, but I finished my basement in order to have space for my sets. One vintage television in the living room, the rest in the basement. My wife still doesn't like them... Oh and I SWORE I would never stack televisions on top of each other, alas I've broken my own promise for now while I figure out how to display them :scratch2:.

TUD1
10-18-2016, 10:06 AM
My mother told me my TV collection was "awful."

Zenith26kc20
10-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Live in girlfriend. Her favorite is my RCA KCS166 portable. My favorite is a pair, a Zenith 25MC33 and a Motorola TS-4J. Just a few of 47 televisions!!!!!
TOO MANY!!!

dieseljeep
10-18-2016, 10:30 AM

She really meant, "Awfully Good".
What does she think of your vacuum cleaner and toilet collection? :scratch2:

Electronic M
10-18-2016, 11:52 AM

You could also ask how many of these guys are still living with their parents? And how do their parents like this kind of clutter?

Sad, but accurate. I haven't had a girlfriend since I was 12. Life has since kept me either away from half-decent gals my age, or too busy/broke to bother with a GF....It doesn't help that after my last one, the gals (and people in general) I met when I moved to central Fl were such COLOSSAL jerks that I'm barely a fraction as outgoing and friendly as I was then...Hell during/after Fl I sorta had a general categorical loathing of all humanity for a while...

My folks don't mind my collection as long as I don't damage the house, and adhere to certain spatial limitations (heck they are glad that it's kept me from getting into trouble/addiction, and primed me for the engineering degree I have)...There are clutter complaints sometimes too, but they know that when I hit or approach my limit I re-evaluate my collection and sell off the bottom 5-25% percent of things by how much I like each item...Right now they can't much complain about clutter since they are re-flooring the ground floor, and don't have a single room neater than mine...

What does really get under my skin is that I plan to have another car or two (a utility TV/car hauler/winter commute vehicle, and another classic or 2), and Mom is obsessively picky over what she will 'allow' in 'her' driveway. She hates some body styles I love, and wants me to buy some I hate (she's even tried to hustle me into buying a car she liked), and is obsessive about every aspect of condition....On top of that she is even picky about the damn color...And I will even have to show her the same damn car in a different color to get her to NOT categorically hate a make and model if the first one I show her is in a color she doesn't like... I'm an American dag nab it!...I should be able to spend MY money on whatever the hell I want, and not get a bunch of crap over it, or be TOLD how to spend my money. :thumbsdn:

wa2ise
10-18-2016, 02:32 PM
I see your stack and raise you 2 console stacks...
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0429.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN0429.jpg.html)

They do breed like rabbits... :thmbsp:

Electronic M
10-18-2016, 03:08 PM
And that was about 4-5 years ago...I've probably more than doubled console count since then (especially is you count table sets w/stands), and have several stacks...Not all in one place like the picture though.

WISCOJIM
10-18-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm an American dag nab it!...I should be able to spend MY money on whatever the hell I want, and not get a bunch of crap over it, or be TOLD how to spend my money. :thumbsdn:I could suggest a place where you could spend your money...

BTW, I've got a couple of 17" Predicta CRTs picked out for you to choose from.

Electronic M
10-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I could suggest a place where you could spend your money...

BTW, I've got a couple of 17" Predicta CRTs picked out for you to choose from.

Sweet! I should be able to go forward on it's restoration once I have a CRT.

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm married, but I finished my basement in order to have space for my sets. One vintage television in the living room, the rest in the basement. My wife still doesn't like them... Oh and I SWORE I would never stack televisions on top of each other, alas I've broken my own promise for now while I figure out how to display them :scratch2:.

Haha. My wife was bothered by it at first, but for awhile
We even put a 1987 Zenith in the bedroom
When we loaned a BPC bedroom set to her sister.

It doesent bother her. I am looking at getting more 70s/80s sets in the future, though.

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 07:28 AM

I had my father throw out two of my old sets at college - a 15" GE color set from '84 and an 80s 13" Emerson b&w... neither ones were real classics, but I hated how he did that. Oh well...

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Live in girlfriend. Her favorite is my RCA KCS166 portable. My favorite is a pair, a Zenith 25MC33 and a Motorola TS-4J. Just a few of 47 televisions!!!!!

TOO MANY!!!

You are one of the lucky ones... my parents hated the tv collecting as much as my wife does now. The wife is coming around, though.

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 07:31 AM
Sad, but accurate. I haven't had a girlfriend since I was 12. Life has since kept me either away from half-decent gals my age, or too busy/broke to bother with a GF....It doesn't help that after my last one, the gals (and people in general) I met when I moved to central Fl were such COLOSSAL jerks that I'm barely a fraction as outgoing and friendly as I was then...Hell during/after Fl I sorta had a general categorical loathing of all humanity for a while...

My folks don't mind my collection as long as I don't damage the house, and adhere to certain spatial limitations (heck they are glad that it's kept me from getting into trouble/addiction, and primed me for the engineering degree I have)...There are clutter complaints sometimes too, but they know that when I hit or approach my limit I re-evaluate my collection and sell off the bottom 5-25% percent of things by how much I like each item...Right now they can't much complain about clutter since they are re-flooring the ground floor, and don't have a single room neater than mine...

What does really get under my skin is that I plan to have another car or two (a utility TV/car hauler/winter commute vehicle, and another classic or 2), and Mom is obsessively picky over what she will 'allow' in 'her' driveway. She hates some body styles I love, and wants me to buy some I hate (she's even tried to hustle me into buying a car she liked), and is obsessive about every aspect of condition....On top of that she is even picky about the damn color...And I will even have to show her the same damn car in a different color to get her to NOT categorically hate a make and model if the first one I show her is in a color she doesn't like... I'm an American dag nab it!...I should be able to spend MY money on whatever the hell I want, and not get a bunch of crap over it, or be TOLD how to spend my money. :thumbsdn:

Electronic M, the best thing you can do is take that engineering degree and move out. I got my mechanical engineering technology degree in 4 years and I was able to have my career started at 21.

Electronic M
10-19-2016, 08:27 AM
I already have a career recently started, but I'm broke (relative to getting a house) and have a lot of student loan debt. I want to pay down my loans some, and save before I get a place of my own (I hate the idea of having a loan or debt of any kind). I'm not going to rent, it's more expensive than where I'm at (for less space), a TOTAL waste of money, and I can't turn my HiFi gear up to 11 like I need to sometimes.

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 01:46 PM
I already have a career recently started, but I'm broke (relative to getting a house) and have a lot of student loan debt. I want to pay down my loans some, and save before I get a place of my own (I hate the idea of having a loan or debt of any kind). I'm not going to rent, it's more expensive than where I'm at (for less space), a TOTAL waste of money, and I can't turn my HiFi gear up to 11 like I need to sometimes.

I make a good living (for a 25 year old in rural GA anyhow), but after the bills I am broke haha. Debt is a part of life. Use it wisely. I am a homeowner with a wife and a 3 year old on a single (but good) income and I have more debt than I'd like to admit.

centralradio
10-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Room is the problem here.I got TVs stored everywhere except the bathroom.

Electronic M
10-19-2016, 03:56 PM
I make a good living (for a 25 year old in rural GA anyhow), but after the bills I am broke haha. Debt is a part of life. Use it wisely. I am a homeowner with a wife and a 3 year old on a single (but good) income and I have more debt than I'd like to admit.

My folks lived like that when I was young, always barely scraping by. Not long after we finally were out Dad lost his job in step with the housing bubble and they lost their shirts to NOT let it become a credit ruining for-closure.

I rather argue with the folks weekly for the next 5 years than live like they did in the early years, or repeat the IMHO stupidity of not owning their property outright or trying to live outside of means.

Credit IMO should be saved for occasions where savings are not sufficient, and purchase can not wait (like medical emergency). To me it is stupid to pay someone to rent you money unless circumstances make it unavoidable.

RCAZenith
10-19-2016, 04:44 PM
My folks lived like that when I was young, always barely scraping by. Not long after we finally were out Dad lost his job in step with the housing bubble and they lost their shirts to NOT let it become a credit ruining for-closure.

I rather argue with the folks weekly for the next 5 years than live like they did in the early years, or repeat the IMHO stupidity of not owning their property outright or trying to live outside of means.

Credit IMO should be saved for occasions where savings are not sufficient, and purchase can not wait (like medical emergency). To me it is stupid to pay someone to rent you money unless circumstances make it unavoidable.

That's not a bad idea. And having bad credit is not a big deal. I've seen mine drop 150 points and go up 100 points all in the course of a few months. As long as it is around 600 you will be just fine.

WISCOJIM
10-19-2016, 07:32 PM
As long as it is around 600 you will be just fine.

600? I haven't been employed for over 14 years, and my current FICO credit score is 790. You may think you'll be fine with a 600, but if you do need a loan, you'll be paying a lot more than I would. Check on used car loans for example. A low number like yours will get you a 12%+ interest rate. A number like mine will get me an interest rate under 3%. Do what you can to achieve and maintain a high score, you never know when circumstances will put you in need of some financial help.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

The average credit score in the United States is currently at an all-time high of 695. Though different scoring models exist, which cause this figure to fluctuate by a few points, most fall between 660 to 720. This coincides with what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau defines as 'prime' - an average score. Approximately 14% of the population has no credit score whatsoever, and is labeled as credit invisible. As a result, these underbanked individuals will have difficulty obtaining new lines of credit.

In the eyes of lenders, credit scores fall into several buckets, which indicate how risky it may be to extend credit to an individual. Outside of playing a role in approvals for a loan or credit, these scores can also impact an individual's lending terms. Perhaps the most important terms among those are interest rates. The higher an individuals credit score, the lower their quoted APR will typically be.

Credit scores typically break down in the following manner:

720 or more: Excellent
660 - 719: Average/Fair
620 - 659: Poor
620 or lower: Bad

TUD1
10-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Moar.

Jon A.
10-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Moar.
Nice sets mate, that Moto is esprcially interesting to me. TS-915 set?

It's not hard for me to decide which one to watch; the nicest one by far is my Electrohome console, which I got up and running recently. The Zenith's cabinet is cheap and kind of ugly, the tuner motor sticks on and it needs a power cord. The Sylvania's cabinet is pretty beat and it needs a focus pot, a good cleaning inside and repair of the slipping power tuner. The rest are 19" sets, only one of which works right. :D

RCAZenith
10-20-2016, 09:15 AM
600? I haven't been employed for over 14 years, and my current FICO credit score is 790. You may think you'll be fine with a 600, but if you do need a loan, you'll be paying a lot more than I would. Check on used car loans for example. A low number like yours will get you a 12%+ interest rate. A number like mine will get me an interest rate under 3%. Do what you can to achieve and maintain a high score, you never know when circumstances will put you in need of some financial help.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

The average credit score in the United States is currently at an all-time high of 695. Though different scoring models exist, which cause this figure to fluctuate by a few points, most fall between 660 to 720. This coincides with what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau defines as 'prime' - an average score. Approximately 14% of the population has no credit score whatsoever, and is labeled as credit invisible. As a result, these underbanked individuals will have difficulty obtaining new lines of credit.

In the eyes of lenders, credit scores fall into several buckets, which indicate how risky it may be to extend credit to an individual. Outside of playing a role in approvals for a loan or credit, these scores can also impact an individual's lending terms. Perhaps the most important terms among those are interest rates. The higher an individuals credit score, the lower their quoted APR will typically be.

Credit scores typically break down in the following manner:

720 or more: Excellent

660 - 719: Average/Fair

620 - 659: Poor

620 or lower: Bad

True. But this is a board about old school tvs. Last word on credit ratings: if you have your mortgage and car payment locked in, it is no longer necessary to worry about your credit. That was my point. I will pay stuff late to keep more cash on hand if I am tight, etc.

TUD1
10-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Another group photo. You might not be able to tell in the picture, but the Admiral roundie is starting to have a focus issue. It didn't really have good focus to start with, but now it's slowly getting softer the more I use it. I tried adjusting the focus control, but that control feels very flaky, like something could snap off or break on every turn.

fixmeplease
10-21-2016, 06:53 AM
I have to make a comment about spouses, parents, girlfriends, etc., not liking your collection. I know a gun collector and reloader with over 100 guns and spends many days a month reloading and shooting. His wife is just happy that she knows where he is, what he is doing, where he is spending his money, and that he is not getting in trouble in a bar or worse somewhere. That is something they should think about and be thankful for.... that doesnt mean you should fill the house though, lol

DavGoodlin
10-21-2016, 08:32 AM
I have to make a comment about spouses, parents, girlfriends, etc., not liking your collection. I know a gun collector and reloader with over 100 guns and spends many days a month reloading and shooting. His wife is just happy that she knows where he is, what he is doing, where he is spending his money, and that he is not getting in trouble in a bar or worse somewhere. That is something they should think about and be thankful for.... that doesnt mean you should fill the house though, lol
You nailed it! Think of all the expensive hobbies like boats, cars, etc. I quit collecting when renting apartments until I bought a modest house in town with my Ex. The ex did not like the radios, TV's and most of my music which was a clue.

When I moved to a farmstead 19 years ago, a detached garage, spacious walk-up attic and dry basement was key (but I was quiet about it). My folks understood during the school years as does my wife now. I just don't broadcast when I bring a set home :boring: but I make it quite obvious when I trade, sell or recycle them.:D

DavGoodlin
10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Another group photo. You might not be able to tell in the picture, but the Admiral roundie is starting to have a focus issue. It didn't really have good focus to start with, but now it's slowly getting softer the more I use it. I tried adjusting the focus control, but that control feels very flaky, like something could snap off or break on every turn.

The Zenith in the lower left is a 25DC56 chassis, no? That is an impressive display!

Jon A.
10-21-2016, 08:45 AM
I just don't broadcast when I bring a set home :boring:
What difference would shutting off your transmitters make?

Sorry, had to. :D

DavGoodlin
10-21-2016, 01:06 PM
What difference would shutting off your transmitters make?

Sorry, had to. :D

How did you know:scratch2:?
I just got two modulators for UHF from ebay and delivery was undetected.

Jon A.
10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
How did you know:scratch2:?
I just got two modulators for UHF from ebay and delivery was undetected.
Lucky guess. :thmbsp: I'm rather surprised you got your first (?) transmitters so recently.

TUD1
10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
The Zenith in the lower left is a 25DC56 chassis, no? That is an impressive display!

Correct.

Bill R
10-21-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm lucky. My wife helps me find them. Right now she has two in the back of her SUV. She even claims some of them. They are all over the house and we are going to take one room and make it a display room.

Jon A.
10-21-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm lucky. My wife helps me find them. Right now she has two in the back of her SUV. She even claims some of them. They are all over the house and we are going to take one room and make it a display room.
Man, you really scored there!

TVTim
10-21-2016, 07:10 PM
This is why I've never gotten a console. I want one, but just don't have the room for one.

Tank
01-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Around 10 years ago when I was young, dumb, and married, my wife made me through out my 25" Zenith console and VR1810 that was my grandmothers. I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of our demise.

Kamakiri
01-28-2017, 07:43 AM
I sold both my CT-100s about a year before my divorce due to financial issues. I feel your pain, but in the end it was a small price to pay :yes:

hi_volt
01-28-2017, 08:12 AM
I've got a bunch of roundie aircraft carriers. Not sure how well stacking those would work......

So far I've managed to display my sets around the house without it looking like a "hoarders" episode...:thmbsp:

Jon A.
01-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Around 10 years ago when I was young, dumb, and married, my wife made me through out my 25" Zenith console and VR1810 that was my grandmothers. I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of our demise.
Not dumb bruh, just misinformed. I used to be envious of those who married young, but now realize that hand I was dealt was for the best. I can't imagine ever finding a good match for an oddball like me, but now I don't feel the need anyway! :banana: Now the snow is whiter on MY side of the fence.

Dude111
01-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Is that sometimes you can't decide which one to watch!Yes CRTs are beautiful.... Thier picture is amazing and 1 not to be overlooked for sure!!

Jon A.
01-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Yes CRTs are beautiful.... Thier picture is amazing and 1 not to be overlooked for sure!!
Yah, it can be pretty awesome for such an old set. I don't have the heart to sideline my Electrohome, even as I get others running properly, so maybe I'll just have multiple units in one room and switch back and forth occasionally. I already have three in the living room, one in quite a few pieces as I rebuild the framework. Fortunately that's almost done.

Popester
10-30-2018, 11:26 PM
The problem with collecting tv's answer is that our human nature will never be satisfied with what we have. Our very nature is to keep building our collection. To that end I started to only collect solid state tv's and only Sony brand set sizes not to extend beyond a 12 inch size. However I have 2 consoles that I could never part with. I consider myself an odd ball as I have never had anything but a picture tube set. I don't like referring to them as CRT as that vernacular was never used back in the day. We called them jugs, picture tubes, very seldomly CRT's. One thing very nice about a tube set is how it heats up a room it's in and makes watching it very cozy with its warmth.

oldtvnut
11-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Man , and here I was thinking I was crazy bring a 1955 Magnavox 21" B/W
and a 1948 Tele-King into a one-room apartment!..Yes, I'm addicted!...but it keeps me out of trouble..sort of.:banana::D

Electronic M
11-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Man , and here I was thinking I was crazy bring a 1955 Magnavox 21" B/W
and a 1948 Tele-King into a one-room apartment!..Yes, I'm addicted!...but it keeps me out of trouble..sort of.:banana::D

A ways back I was crammed into a small room in an apartment and the garage there...I had my bedroom packed wall to wall. Below was my main color TV wall.

Dude111
11-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Some beautiful units there!!!

mr_fixer
12-01-2018, 02:32 AM
The biggest Irony is Irony! I'm 53 and had a dozen and a half of significant others but the collecting of stuff "tv's etc" wasn't the prob. Most were religious differences. Being a agnostic sucks for dating in the south. YMMV.

Dude111
12-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Agnostics and athiests are some of the most open minded people I know! (You can talk to them about anything and they dont poke fun,etc)

Jon A.
12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
The biggest Irony is Irony! I'm 53 and had a dozen and a half of significant others but the collecting of stuff "tv's etc" wasn't the prob. Most were religious differences. Being a agnostic sucks for dating in the south. YMMV.
Agnostics and athiests are some of the most open minded people I know! (You can talk to them about anything and they dont poke fun,etc)
Okay, since no one else is going to say or do anything about this, and that I don't care about being popular, I'm going to speak up.

Just about everyone here knows that discussions about anyone's faith is forbidden here, so it's only fair that I ask that those without any to refrain from mentioning it so casually and/or making it sound like a real hay ride. I may be the only one here who feels this way but nevertheless I think my wishes should be respected. If that's out of the question then I'll just walk away, no big deal. I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway.

Kamakiri
12-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Okay, since no one else is going to say or do anything about this, and that I don't care about being popular, I'm going to speak up.

Just about everyone here knows that discussions about anyone's faith is forbidden here, so it's only fair that I ask that those without any to refrain from mentioning it so casually and/or making it sound like a real hay ride. I may be the only one here who feels this way but nevertheless I think my wishes should be respected. If that's out of the question then I'll just walk away, no big deal. I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway.

You're *half* right.....but you're taking it over the edge.

There's nowhere in the rule books that says you can't state the category of your beliefs. It's when you espouse them onto others is where things go wrong. I'm a Christian (oops) and have no problem or argument with someone who has no set faith or believes what they want to believe.

When we try to change people's views in that regard, especially in a vintage television forum, is where things get stupid.

Hakuna matata :D

PS- "I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway" must be how you judge yourself, because that's not how we judge you or see you. Not sure whether that was intended to give your argument credulity.....but it doesn't compute.

init4fun
12-06-2018, 04:44 PM

There's nowhere in the rule books that says you can't state the category of your beliefs. It's when you espouse them onto others is where things go wrong. I'm a Christian (oops) and have no problem or argument with someone who has no set faith or believes what they want to believe.

When we try to change people's views in that regard, especially in a vintage television forum, is where things get stupid.

PS- "I know my input here is considered to be of little to no value anyway" must be how you judge yourself, because that's not how we judge you or see you. Not sure whether that was intended to give your argument credulity.....but it doesn't compute.

:D Well then , at the risk of getting two threads closed in two days , here goes ;

I have always believed in a higher spirit that holds all living things together and also heavily believe in Karma , as in "live by the sword , die by the sword". I do not believe in any of the organized religion's self appointed divinity , for instance to me the Catholic Pope is no more divine than any other man , the higher spirit having created ALL humans with equal abilities of divinity or debauchery , depending on the character of the soul involved .

And Jon , Your posts here are fine with me , having folks around with my kind of "peek behind the curtain" ethos makes for interesting conversation . I may not always respond to your posts , but there are many times I'm in complete agreement with you .

Kamakiri
12-06-2018, 06:06 PM
:D Well then , at the risk of getting two threads closed in two days , here goes ;

I have always believed in a higher spirit that holds all living things together and also heavily believe in Karma , as in "live by the sword , die by the sword". I do not believe in any of the organized religion's self appointed divinity , for instance to me the Catholic Pope is no more divine than any other man , the higher spirit having created ALL humans with equal abilities of divinity or debauchery , depending on the character of the soul involved .

And Jon , Your posts here are fine with me , having folks around with my kind of "peek behind the curtain" ethos makes for interesting conversation . I may not always respond to your posts , but there are many times I'm in complete agreement with you .

Things only get closed when they either get stupid, potentially stupid, or when they get derailed and go downhill fast. I've been doing this job on many boards for almost 17 years, so I've developed a feel for these things.

We're not there yet, but......

init4fun
12-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Thank you Captain , I appreciate how fair you are in such matters . Politics , religion , and even the origin of insults can indeed go downhill fast and the last thing I'd want to see is someone offended by the off topic chat .

:D God bless Vacuum Tubes :D

old_tv_nut
12-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Back to the problem with collecting TVs - I find that the TVs tend to collect stuff themselves:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4821/46210806391_6a14210e45_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4885/32338652648_959723098b_b.jpg

etype2
12-06-2018, 11:30 PM
That screenshot looks superb in a fairly bright lit room. I used to “DX” channel 5 from Milwaukee in the late 60’s, but WGN channel 9 was the clearest. I watched “Kup’s Show on Saturday night.

You stuff is neat. Collecting micros, no problem. The consoles are another thing.

old_tv_nut
12-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Not a completely untouched photo of the CTC-5. Canon 50d and kit lens. The room was not that bright except for the wall behind, and I carefully arranged the lights not to hit the faceplate or the carpet that reflects in the glass. The CRT image was a bit overexposed and too blue, so I burned it in Lightroom. Also removed (in Photoshop) a white stripe on the left that the file player produced at this zoom setting.

Camera club subject of the month for January is "Antique," so I will title this "Antique Peacock."

The Zenith shot is straight out of my phone, just cropped left and right. The Zenith logo dish is not legit Zenith, but a one-of-a-kind made by a retired colleague from the standards committees.

Jeffhs
12-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Where did you find that screen image? NBC does not use the full-size peacock any longer, having retired it in 1975; however, they still use a much smaller peacock (with the NBC chimes) these days, which it shows just before its color programs in prime time. The small peacock, often in bland, drab black and white (!), is also shown after the network's promotions for the next show and before it goes to the local stations.

The NBC "snake" was also retired in 1975. I have many very fond memories of NBC's original peacock which was shown just before color programs on the network, with an announcer saying "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC."

The NBC television station in Cleveland was owned by NBC from 1948 to 1955 and again from 1965 to 1990. (The station is now owned by Tegna, which has succeeded in running it into the ground, but that's another story.) I mention this because NBC also had regional announcements for local color programs, based on the network's own announcement. There were different versions for each city in which NBC owned a station. In Cleveland, the announcement was "The following program is brought to you in living color (over) WKYC-TV."

BTW, where did Chicago's NBC television station ever get the idea it is "the world's first full color TV station"? I'm sure other TV stations were broadcasting in color long before 1966, the year NBC-TV became the first so-called "full color" television network in the US. Also, I would think New York's WNBC-TV, being NBC's first TV station, should have been the station to take this honor. I don't think Chicago's NBC affiliate signed on the air until some time in the late 1940s-early 1950s, as there were very few, if any, commercial TV stations in the United States before 1947. Cleveland, for example, did not get its first television station until 1947; it was on channel 5 and was originally affiliated with CBS (it is now an ABC affiliate). In '48, channel 3 signed on as an NBC affiliate, and the following year, channel 8 signed on. (The grade-ZZZ UHF stations in Cleveland did not arrive until the mid-'60s through the mid-'80s, with one such station, channel 19, taking the CBS affiliation from channel 8 in the early nineties; from 1986 until about 1994 or so, 19 was an affiliate of that poor excuse for a TV network called FOX.) I believe channel 8 was an independent station at the time (1949), as the ABC television network did not exist until the late '50s or even early sixties.

Jon A.
12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Okay, glad that's been clarified. I'm certainly not one to split hairs; after all it's well known what trying to live by exact words did to Greg Brady. Some things, like the temporal prime directive, are much less of a headache if one just ignores them.

I suppose the main problem I have with collecting TVs is deciding what to do with those I don't watch which right now is all but one. If I had different rooms to put them in and extra DVD players I would do just that. The Hitachi MTS stereo TV/monitor I picked up yesterday would also do well if paired with a vintage computer. CRT PC monitors on the other hand I just can't be satisfied with anymore, I like having the extra clarity of a LCD panel when viewing small items/print at close range.

Thinking outside the cube, that's how I roll.

Electronic M
12-07-2018, 11:45 AM
If you get a BT agile modulator your DVD player can be shared by all your TVs...

dieseljeep
12-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Okay, glad that's been clarified. I'm certainly not one to split hairs; after all it's well known what trying to live by exact words did to Greg Brady. Some things, like the temporal prime directive, are much less of a headache if one just ignores them.

I suppose the main problem I have with collecting TVs is deciding what to do with those I don't watch which right now is all but one. If I had different rooms to put them in and extra DVD players I would do just that. The Hitachi MTS stereo TV/monitor I picked up yesterday would also do well if paired with a vintage computer. CRT PC monitors on the other hand I just can't be satisfied with anymore, I like having the extra clarity of a LCD panel when viewing small items/print at close range.

Thinking outside the cube, that's how I roll.
I don't remember what happened to Greg Brady and BTW, who's Esther and is her sister named Polly.

dieseljeep
12-07-2018, 12:22 PM
If you get a BT agile modulator your DVD player can be shared by all your TVs...

I still have to be hard-wired! I can't watch a picture that isn't almost perfect!

Electronic M
12-07-2018, 12:46 PM
I still have to be hard-wired! I can't watch a picture that isn't almost perfect!

The BT can.look almost perfect... as long as signal strength is good and you can stand any resolution exceeding NTSC specs not making it to the set... If the set don't have a video input a BT is probably the second best thing to an actual analog NTSC tv station.

jr_tech
12-07-2018, 12:48 PM
WMAQ, First full color station:

http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/1968/fadeup2.html

jr

also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMAQ-TV

Jeffhs
12-07-2018, 01:10 PM

How could you stand TV before digital? By today's standards, NTSC analog signals looked terrible compared to DTV. Unless you were in a very strong signal area, the pictures you would receive from local TV stations were far, far from perfect; this was especially true if you were in a fringe area. I remember two situations in which my TV reception was so bad as to be practically unusable: the first was in 1965, when the PBS (then NET) television station in Cleveland signed on the air with a measly 1-megawatt ERP signal, which barely reached the area I was living in at the time (an eastern Cleveland suburb in which TV reception with indoor antennas was not that great); the situation would not change for the better until years later, when the station put in a stronger transmitter, the concern that owned the station put in translators (neither of which I could get at my home at the time), and when my area finally got cable in the early 1980s. The second instance was twenty years later, when a new UHF station signed on in suburban Cleveland on channel 19. The station had a 3-megawatt-plus ERP analog signal at the time, but lightning hit their tower after being on the air just six months. The station was never the same after that, although in many ways, since DTV, the reception is worse, especially in far-suburban and fringe areas, since the station now has a 9.5-kW ERP DTV signal on channel 10. The station's owners stubbornly refuse to put its signal on a UHF channel or to put up a translator for the east lakeshore area (which would improve the coverage area 100 percent or more), but that's another story.

DTV is much better; however, the drawback is you must have a very strong signal, or else you don't get a picture at all. I don't know what your definition of an "almost perfect" DTV picture is, but in digital TV there is no such thing; again, with DTV, the picture either is there or it is not. I am purposely ignoring the case of DTV signals that appear pixelated or otherwise unwatchable (I get this every so often with my own setup, which receives video streams over the Internet, not RF signals; I gave up on OTA DTV over a year ago, since I live in an area that does not get two important Cleveland TV stations without cable, satellite or streaming video, although the other stations come in just fine, using just an indoor antenna).

old_tv_nut
12-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Where did you find that screen image? ...

BTW, where did Chicago's NBC television station ever get the idea it is "the world's first full color TV station"? ...

I don't recall where I found that jpg of the Chicago peacock, but I definitely have it saved for use on the media player.
---

See jr_tech's link to the WMAQ story.

By "full color" they meant all new locally produced material. Of course, they still had some monochrome shows on from the network and some old movies in B&W. But if it came from their studios, it was in color.

It's very hard to find material referencing Tommy Tint. Also, I have seen only one ebay listing, years back, for one of the multicolored desk phones that Illinois Bell/Western Electric made for their offices by assembling parts from several differently colored phone cases. I lost the bid.
---
As a side note, I have often marvelled at how little control NBC kept over the color in various representations of the peacock. Every promotional item is different, most matching the general hues (and some not), but all differing in brightness, saturation, and exact hue. The form was all they really standardized. Even the on-air lead-ins, which were intended to have standard colors, were often distorted by excess contrast and color shifts from multi-generation copying.

Jon A.
12-07-2018, 04:02 PM
I already have some BT mini mods in a rack chassis. I doubt the signal would be very strong but I would hard-wire everything anyway. Giving each set its own space is where things get tricky; I doubt the super would be happy if I were to build more rooms and have a unicomplex of sorts sprouting out the corner of the building.
I don't remember what happened to Greg Brady and BTW, who's Esther and is her sister named Polly.
Mike suspended his driving privileges after he nearly had an accident while reading the back of an album cover, so he borrowed a buddy's car, later reminding Mike that his exact words were to not drive *their* car while trying to let on that he didn't know better. Come on Greg, leave the technicalities to the lawyers. Mike agreed to let Greg live by exact words, but once that was put into action it really steamed Greg's clams and he eventually relented. I'm not big on the series but I like the movies.

By the way, knowing that the humorless Robert Reed hated "lowering" himself to comedy made it even funnier when he was in such scenes, i.e. slipping on a ball thrown by Cousin Oliver, causing him to smash his building model against the kitchen island.

It took me a little while to clue into the Polly Esther crack. The character Esther from the 2009 movie Orphan (pictured) may have had a sister by that name had the movie been made in the 70s. However, I knew someone who said she went to school with a Polly Esther; it's factual as far as I know.

dieseljeep
12-07-2018, 08:09 PM
That screenshot looks superb in a fairly bright lit room. I used to “DX” channel 5 from Milwaukee in the late 60’s, but WGN channel 9 was the clearest. I watched “Kup’s Show on Saturday night.

You stuff is neat. Collecting micros, no problem. The consoles are another thing.
There was never a channel 5 in Milwaukee!
In the late 60's, the only channels were 4-6-10-12-18-24-36. :scratch2:

old_tv_nut
12-07-2018, 08:14 PM
There was never a channel 5 in Milwaukee!
In the late 60's, the only channels were 4-6-10-12-18-24-36. :scratch2:

He means he was DXing Chicago channel 5 from his location in Milwaukee.

dieseljeep
12-08-2018, 09:32 AM
He means he was DXing Chicago channel 5 from his location in Milwaukee.
I thought his location was around Green Bay, rather than Milwaukee, because of the reference to the GB Packers.

WISCOJIM
12-08-2018, 09:37 AM
I thought his location was around Green Bay, rather than Milwaukee, because of the reference to the GB Packers.

The Packers also played in Milwaukee back then.

dieseljeep
12-08-2018, 10:11 AM
The Packers also played in Milwaukee back then.

Well aware of that, living there for the first 56 years of my life. :yes:

init4fun
12-08-2018, 02:09 PM
;) Ok , here's my on topic post ;

For me , The problem with collecting TVs is that each TV takes up pretty close to double the space , the space that the TV takes up , and the space that the spare parts for the TV takes up . For each of my TVs I try to have a spare picture tube , flyback , yoke , really as many of the scary bits as possible well packaged in a spare parts kit , and the spare parts kit has gotta get stored somewhere . I keep the TV side of the collection deliberately small , just a few favorite sets with no consoles taking up floor space that otherwise belongs to the radio collection :D

Electronic M
12-08-2018, 02:26 PM
;) Ok , here's my on topic post ;

For me , The problem with collecting TVs is that each TV takes up pretty close to double the space , the space that the TV takes up , and the space that the spare parts for the TV takes up . For each of my TVs I try to have a spare picture tube , flyback , yoke , really as many of the scary bits as possible well packaged in a spare parts kit , and the spare parts kit has gotta get stored somewhere . I keep the TV side of the collection deliberately small , just a few favorite sets with no consoles taking up floor space that otherwise belongs to the radio collection :D
A good way to reduce that is to collect sets with the same CRT(s), and keep 1 spare tube for ~3-6 sets. The probability of all 6 sets that all use say a 10BP4 or a 21FBP22 needing a replacement during your ownership is very small, but the probability of 1 out of 6 set needing a new CRT from your use is high enough to justify 1 (maybe 2) spare(s).

oldtvnut
02-25-2019, 07:36 PM
There was no channel 5 in Milwaukee...but before 1953, [I think] WTMJ actually was on Channel 3. Here in Oshkosh, there was WOSH-TV channel 48 and WNAM-TV in Nennah. After they went dark, they merged and became WFRV_TV in Green Bay on channel 5.

old_tv_nut
10-30-2023, 06:30 PM
Here's an ad for WNBQ using "Tommy Tint," from the Chicago edition of TV Guide, week of March 25 to 31, 1956. At that point they were saying "First In Color" rather than "all color," which they may have started to use the next year.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53297840227_7357ef097e_z.jpg