View Full Version : The last Black and White TV sets.

centralradio
08-10-2016, 12:26 AM
This thread was inspired by crt89's The last dial-tune TV sets thread.

My question is when the last black and white TV was made.More likely name brand sets from Panasonic,Sony,Sharp ,ETC..This excludes security monitors which some are probably still in use today.I have some of those china CRT sets from mid 2000's here.If you want to add B&W LCD sets go ahead.They paved the way to to todays flat screens.I'll say the 1980's to 1990's probably was the last two decades for good sets.

jr_tech
08-10-2016, 02:03 AM
Some discussion on an earlier thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251282
It would be fun to have a clear case b/w prison set.

jr

centralradio
08-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Some discussion on an earlier thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=251282
It would be fun to have a clear case b/w prison set.

jr

Oops .Thanks . I was not sure.I should used the search feature first.No since cluttering up the board with multiple threads on the same topic.Mods can merge this or delete it.Thanks.

I curb found a color clear case prison set last year and it still works.

radiotvnut
08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
From my research and own experience:

1. 22" B&W's were made in both console and table model sets until about 1981, with Zenith and Sylvania being the last ones. I read somewhere that the discontinuation of 22" CRT's was the reason that they stopped making these sets; however, by '81, I can't imagine too many people wanting a B&W console. I suspect that the few that were sold were to senior citizens who didn't like change.

2. 19" B&W's stayed around until the mid '80's and it's interesting to note that in the early '80's, Zenith made a 19" B&W with a random access digital tuner and red LED readout.

3. 12" B&W's stayed around until the late '90's; but, the last semi-decent ones were made in the mid '80's. Those last gasp models from the '90's cost $39 when new and they were very cheaply made.

4. 5" portables were available up until the DTV transition of 2009. In fact, I remember going in a dollar store, a few weeks before the switch, and they had a whole pile of them for under $10.

Marco-nix
08-11-2016, 01:23 PM
I have 2 sets B&W 5' .. one is a set with an option for the cable . so I can plug my 5 inch tv on my cable provider and I can watch my favorite programs with a high quality image..

MRX37
08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
That prison TV is interesting. For 2006 I wondered why they'd even bother with Black and White, then I thought, well black and white TV's are both cheaper to produce and less electronically complex. Less circuitry means less chance of hiding contraband.

andy
08-11-2016, 04:17 PM

dieseljeep
08-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I think it was probably more to do with some elderly politician being outraged that prisoners get to have color TVs. There was probably a state or local law only allowing them to have B&W sets. I'm sure I've heard of similar TVs that were actually color sets with the color disabled.

As I understood, the inmates or their families had to pay for the TV sets or other electronics and they had to be purchased from the prison store.
AFAIK, there was no items to be purchased from outside sources. Of course, the prices were a little high. I understand, they did have basic cable.

radiotvnut
08-12-2016, 11:15 AM
A while back, there was a clear-cased KTV 12" B&W prison TV, with electronic tuning and OSD. Of course, they wanted a ludicrous price for it.

centralradio
08-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm shocked they were still selling B/W TV's at the prison store.I could not imagine how much the color set I have here cost when it was new.I remember Radio Shack had their clear see thru telephone and other stuff over the years.I dont remember if they had any see thru TV's there.

wa2ise
08-12-2016, 03:54 PM
... however, by '81, I can't imagine too many people wanting a B&W console. I suspect that the few that were sold were to senior citizens who didn't like change.

I remember reading somewhere, around the early 80's, that B&W TV sets were better for watching B&W movies from your VCR. And that they recommenced that vintage B&W movie fans buy a B&W set. Even Crazy Eddie http://www.wa2ise.com/wav/crazyeddie.gif had a few, about 19 inches screens.