View Full Version : My CTC-40 is acting up!

TUD1
07-27-2016, 10:47 PM
I was just sitting watching MTV on the CTC-40 today, and all of a sudden, I heard a slight crackle from the set. I turned on the TV guide to check the picture, and I was horrified to find a picture with a blue haze. I instantly called up my friend Danny, and he instructed me to get my CRT tester and check for shorts. And unless my B&K 470 is telling me a fib, there are none. What do we think of the blue hazy picture? Before this happened, I made a comment "Gee, this thing looks real good today!" It had excellent color there for a while.

zeno
07-28-2016, 07:38 AM
This is a SS set ?? Possible the CRT arced & killed the blue
output. Swap with the R or G output to test.
Also with the set on LIGHTLY tap the CRT neck & see if it
flashes.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep
07-28-2016, 09:05 AM
This is a SS set ?? Possible the CRT arced & killed the blue
output. Swap with the R or G output to test.
Also with the set on LIGHTLY tap the CRT neck & see if it
flashes.

73 Zeno:smoke:

I only worked on one of those things and that was several years ago. I don't remember if it had modules or plug in transistors.
The OP said it was a CTC40. :scratch2:

jstout66
07-28-2016, 10:10 AM
We only saw a few on our route. My Uncle wasn't fond of them. They rarely broke, but when they did, it was never a simple fix.
The CTC-40 is RCA's first solid state set... no modules.... but does use a flyback with a 3A3 tube, and they were just as hard on flybacks as the 38 and 38 chassis. Most of the repairs we got called for were burnt flys. There weren't many back in the day (I assume they were expensive)

TUD1
07-28-2016, 08:58 PM
I went behind the set and turned the blue G2 down, and the colors cleared right up. I wonder why the blue would just shift like that?

andy
07-29-2016, 01:35 AM

Electronic M
07-29-2016, 06:19 AM
I've had dirty pots make a color fade on me. Nother thing to watch out for in SS sets is intermittents in chroma video out transistors....Had one give me the run-around for a couple years till it got bad enough I found it...Transistor swapping proved it.

TUD1
08-13-2016, 11:13 PM
I finally got around to doing dynamic convergence on the CTC-40.