View Full Version : Why is it?

uncleputz
07-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Why are Magnavox tube TV sets not seen very often? Were they crappy sets that got junked early? Were not very many of them built? I realize that Magnavox was more into audio than TV, but it seems to be like a relatively small amount of them have survived. Would any of you knowledgeable folks care to comment?

Electronic M
07-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Audiophools dig their audio systems, and chop up consoles for the amps especially the bigger unsellable TV-stereo consoles.

truetone36
07-16-2016, 09:16 PM
I've found one in the past 30 years, I got it a while back but I haven't brought it home yet.

old_tv_nut
07-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Magnavox pushed large furniture sets strongly, making more profit per set, but perhaps reducing their market share. They also had a reputation for eating flyback transformers, which could be a reason why many were eventually trashed. Plus of course there is the simple statistic of brand preference, with RCA and later Zenith in combination with RCA having the vast majority of sales. During their heyday, Zenith and RCA each held about 25% of the (US) market.

uncleputz
07-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Tom, I am trying to locate and buy one of "the bigger unsellable TV-stereo consoles." I hope they don't chop them up until I find one.....

jstout66
07-17-2016, 09:24 AM
I'd have to concur with old tv nut.... We had a few on our house call route. They made beautiful cabinets, which is why the lady of the house would keep pushing for repairs. They just weren't that reliable.... ate flybacks more than RCA.. always seemed to have ODD issues that were a bitch to repair.. weren't service friendl... and in the tube sets.. had a so so picture. Kind of like Motorola.

zeno
07-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Maggies were a cabinet set. They had the nicest ones. When
shoppers came in the hubby wanted RCA or Zenith & wife
wanted Maggy. We were lucky not to have a Maggy dealer
near by. Maggies tended to have more problems & not quite
as servicable. So they got junked earlier. An RCA or Zenith
were easy to keep going & we had tons of parts for them.
Add to that market share, Maggy had much less than 10% IIRC.
Zeniths with its steel hand wired chassis could be nearly
immortal so they are seen most. RCA's kept going but heat
would take its toll.

73 Zeno:smoke:

uncleputz
07-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for the information.

Electronic M
07-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Tom, I am trying to locate and buy one of "the bigger unsellable TV-stereo consoles." I hope they don't chop them up until I find one.....

Good luck. The audiophools can get more for the amp (and get it faster) than for a whole console so many have met that fate and more will as time marches on.

Save them while/if you can. I plan to get a roundy combo as soon as I find one that hits my criteria. One day I may collect them, but for now I can fit one and will make that my limit.

Electronic M
07-18-2016, 05:42 PM
I forget the screen size but there was a monochrome Maggie stereo combo at the Volo Auto Museum's antique mall for the crazy price of ~$500 last year...At that price it may still be there.

uncleputz
07-19-2016, 08:40 AM
There is bound to be one still existing somewhere. There are several Astro-Sonic models and also the smaller tube models. The ones I am interested in sold for almost Concert Grand money when they were new. It took me almost a year to find my Concert Grand, and I've been maybe four or five months looking for a Stereo Theater. One will turn up eventually. I am going to start with one, and try to quit after just one. Of course, I could always buy one of the smaller ones to tide me over until a bigger one came along.....

dtvmcdonald
07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
My family's first two TVs were Maggies. The first one, about 1951, had a vertical
linearity problem that never got fixed after several tries.

The second one from about 1953 for many years, had a really excellent picture.
To this day I still remember the focus and interlace: actual black between
the lines the focus was so good, and exceedingly stable interlace.

Also, super bandwidth ... the color dot crawl (remember, from mid 1954 all
local programming from the Ft. Worth station was color) was astounding,
I never saw as perfect dot crawl until I got my TRK12.

I also NEVER will forget the Easter egg under it, left for months, that the TV
repairman broke.

dieseljeep
07-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I'd have to concur with old tv nut.... We had a few on our house call route. They made beautiful cabinets, which is why the lady of the house would keep pushing for repairs. They just weren't that reliable.... ate flybacks more than RCA.. always seemed to have ODD issues that were a bitch to repair.. weren't service friendl... and in the tube sets.. had a so so picture. Kind of like Motorola.
I was in the repair business, part time for around 25 years. Granted, I didn't do the volume of work, the full timers did, but I only remember replacing one flyback, in one set. They always had other PITA problems, especially the tuners.
One customer, that thought, they had a prestige make, I mentioned that the set used the same tuner as the Muntz. :D

consoleguy67
07-19-2016, 01:20 PM
I had a Magnavox color roundie stereo theatre that had a great picture. It had a Sylvania picture tube in it.

Kamakiri
07-19-2016, 01:49 PM
I just helped OS X pick this monster up. Picture tube's dead, but it's all there. MASSIVE horns in this thing too.

miniman82
07-19-2016, 07:17 PM
I have a square maggotbox, but it's going to be gutted at some point. I mainly got it for the cabinet, something else will live there at some point.

consoleguy67
07-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Hey Tim,
Did that set come out of Jersey?

technicolor
07-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Hey Tim,
Did that set come out of Jersey?

Miniman is working on that chassis as we speak. Set has a rebuilt channelmaster crt in it now.

DaveWM
07-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Nice solid set. Some thing funny about the CRT setup IIRC, covered in the manual, also prob has that silly sepia switch on the back.

consoleguy67
07-20-2016, 06:03 AM
That was my set.

sampson159
07-20-2016, 10:25 AM
saw more than a few of those aircraft carriers in my day.had 3 in my living room at one time.cost me a marriage.she had to move them to clean.5-3 125 lbs and could lift and carry like a forklift!very fine cabinets with marginal electronics at best.flybacks like crazy!get a zenith unit.much better and still a fine cabinet

zeno
07-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Nice solid set. Some thing funny about the CRT setup IIRC, covered in the manual, also prob has that silly sepia switch on the back.

Sepia switch A.K.A. the brownalator switch. Yuk, turn it off.

old_tv_nut
07-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Sepia switch A.K.A. the brownalator switch. Yuk, turn it off.

"Brownalator" :D Perfect name for it!

With it turned on, the color was perfect, if the picture was a tan cowboy on a brown horse riding into the sunset.

dieseljeep
07-21-2016, 12:19 PM
"Brownalator" :D Perfect name for it!

With it turned on, the color was perfect, if the picture was a tan cowboy on a brown horse riding into the sunset.
Their advertising claimed that the sepia switch, added a warm tone to B/W pictures, which could easier on the eyes. :boring:

Electronic M
07-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Got an Airline with that switch set to off. Admiral used a knob on the front to control grayscale...It can be usefull.

sparks_elec
07-24-2016, 12:04 AM
My first and only tube tv I ever found was a Magnavox. Found it in a back room of an antique store, paid 100 for it not working. Found out almost all of the mylar caps were shorted, lots of resistors open or 50% out of tolerance and the convergence way out (sombody turned all the knobs and messed with the rings). Spent at least two weeks and 50 to 60 parts to get it working. For being built in 1970 that's an awful lot of parts bad. The picture is just passable (but has a good strong picture tube). Hard to work on and bottom of the line chassis. I'd gladly trade it for any tube Zenith from the late 60's.

KentTeffeteller
08-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Other thing which hurt Maggie survival long term was the company being stingy with service literature and limiting parts distribution to Magnavox Home Entertainment Centers. Parts had to be bought there if specific to the set at retail prices. And yes, Magnavox sets loved flybacks and had lots of difficult service issues.

Eric H
08-21-2016, 11:29 PM
I don't think Magnavox was anywhere near RCA and Zenith in terms of sales, from what I remember they didn't perform as well as those sets either.

zeno
08-22-2016, 08:01 AM
I don't think Magnavox was anywhere near RCA and Zenith in terms of sales, from what I remember they didn't perform as well as those sets either.
Zenith & RCA split 40%-50% of the TV market depending how you
count them. Zenith always just beat RCA. IIRC GE & Sears were
next. After that Maggy, Admiral & Sylvania then the rest. Some were
under 1%. Some like PB, SC & WG were regional hits.
Maggies were cabinet sets. Even when they used plastic it looked good.
The wife wanted the Maggy & the hubby wanted a Zenith or RCA.
IIRC you had to be a big store or an exclusive Maggy dealer to
get a franchise.
We had a parts account so no problem. Bad thing was no local
distributor like almost every one had.
Never cared for there tube sets. Always seemed to need a little
extra. Couldnt keep the tuners clean. FBT's seemed to be par
with Zenith & RCA. Pixs could be good but never quite top notch.

LFOD !

dieseljeep
08-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Other thing which hurt Maggie survival long term was the company being stingy with service literature and limiting parts distribution to Magnavox Home Entertainment Centers. Parts had to be bought there if specific to the set at retail prices. And yes, Magnavox sets loved flybacks and had lots of difficult service issues.

Magnavox took over the TV sales for Boston Store, Gimbels and Marshall Field. They referred to them as "Magnavox Home Entertainment Salons".
There was also an Imperial Magnavox Home Entertainment Center in Milwaukee. They advertised heavily and sold a lot of product.
I would buy some of my parts there and I did receive about a 20% or so discount.

holmesuser01
08-22-2016, 06:30 PM
I also serviced Magnavox.

YES, they were hard to get manuals from.

As soon as it was all official, I started getting packages of Maggie literature, advertising stuff, offers for inexpensive things to hang in the shop. I didn't hang it all. I've still got a couple of my little electric signs...

Parts were easy AFTER I joined the company. I believe I too got about a 20% discount on parts... Certain parts, like deflection tubes, could be bought at some nice prices about twice a year.

When looking for flybacks for older tube color chassis, they would often be out of stock for months until they got enough orders to have some made. They didn't last any longer than the OEM's did.

My favorite thing about working with them was going to the Training Center outside Knoxville, TN right after it opened. Learned lots of tricks, and several times, brought home a pick-up load of tubes that had been discovered in a crate... (They were building the SS chassis by this time.) When Philips took over, I started pulling away.

Lots of people that I had worked with there for years were suddenly gone. No real warning, either.

DavGoodlin
08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
I worked for one then another Magnavox dealer (1980-82, 84-86) right when the modular sets - T809 chassis 19" sets, most of which had knob tuners - and T815 consoles most with touch-tune keyboard tuners remotes were coming in for their first repairs. Lots of cold module pin solder joints on the main board, lots of failed PS switching modules p/n 703744-1,2...... ad infinitum, the critical safety caps p/n 250663-x. These knob tuners were still a PITA after the tube sets of the 60s, had to put the wiping pads on the shield to wipe the turrets w/tuner lube or it's snow-city a month later, even on cable - just cant forget this as I did sooo many.

These made Mag's earlier "vertical chassis" modular T995 look better in comparison and I had a touch-tune version as my main set for 18 years after replacing the 25VCZP22, with a "magnachrome rebuilt". By 1984, Mag had taken a "NAP" pun intended, and we stopped selling them after support got poor with sound problems in sets that had MTS. Could have been sensitive to the local cable system's channel conversion of MTS signals too but the RCA's and GE's were not behaving that way.

I ended up with the guts and CRTs to many of the 1966-68 color combo sets because there was an old fella (non-tech) in our shop that could install an RCA Colortrak 2000 monitor and it looked like it was made for it. The customer retained their beloved Astrosonic console HiFi and got a decent cable-ready remote TV.

Telecolor 3007
02-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Wait a minute, he took and old tv set, put it into a new case and then put in the old case a new tv?