View Full Version : VINTAGE 1940s MOTOROLA GOLD FACADE MINIATURE ANTIQUE MID CENTURY OLD TELEVISION

oldtvsandtoy
06-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Ok this is just nuts. $610 for a non working 1940s MOTOROLA with a wrong knob. What are these people smoking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940s-MOTOROLA-GOLD-FACADE-MINIATURE-ANTIQUE-MID-CENTURY-OLD-TELEVISION-/131826304503?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&nma=true&si=iNmYHpC8MgozoeRlzyhOgKkGThs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

bandersen
06-04-2016, 11:36 AM
That seller is infamous for shill bidding. Wait a few months and it will be relisted.

decojoe67
06-04-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't get that the situations still exists with that seller on eBay. It's such a blatant con game.

Electronic M
06-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Even complete (the center knob is wrong) and working this set is at least 3x overpriced.

timmy
06-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Ebayers expect to get rich overnight.

reichsrundfu
06-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I know this fellow and he's actually a very nice guy. But I do note that alot of his stuff closes at top edge prices. Bottom line is a schill bid isn't going anywhere unless there is someone who is willing to bid whatever more for something.

Ok so easy: bid what it is worth & what you're willing to pay for it and let it play out. Those of us here can tackle any electronic issue that may exist, so if you're on top of your game you can't lose. You can be outbid, but you won't lose! You'll never get burned.

George

MIPS
06-04-2016, 02:21 PM
I know this fellow and he's actually a very nice guy. But I do note that alot of his stuff closes at top edge prices. Bottom line is a schill bid isn't going anywhere unless there is someone who is willing to bid whatever more for something.

Ok so easy: bid what it is worth & what you're willing to pay for it and let it play out. Those of us here can tackle any electronic issue that may exist, so if you're on top of your game you can't lose. You can be outbid, but you won't lose! You'll never get burned.

George

That doesn't work when someone bids high from the start and plays the auction like its vegas. ("I don't got $1500 to burn but eventually people will stop bidding around $700, right? Right?")

...or like they're sniping suspect terrorists in the middle east.

oldtvsandtoy
06-04-2016, 02:45 PM
If you read the feedback he leaves a lot of his buyers are liars

oldtvsandtoy
06-04-2016, 02:46 PM

George
Who ever bid $610 got burnt

baursam
06-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Now he has a working 621TS starting bid at 2495. Am curious to see what happens with this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142012389795

timmy
06-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Well we know better then to bid up to 600 bucks for Alittle set that don't work but on the flip side the guy made a killing on those unsuspecting bidders and now if his luck don't run out he will do it again, lol,lol..... We will see... :smoke:

decojoe67
06-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Bottom line is that any seller that uses any type of deceitful practices is bad business. There is no justifications for it. I see this seller with lots of great items, but, as an serious avid collector who would have likely done many transactions with him by now, have not and will not bid on anything he offers.

Kamakiri
06-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Welp, he's the one who will have to foot the bill for the fees when they close at those prices, so he can knock himself out if he wants. We all know what the real market values are.

Eric H
06-04-2016, 08:29 PM
$610 for the most common 1940's set, in unrestored, untested condition, with a probable broken fine tuning shaft is completely ridiculous.
It's a $125 set tops and only that because the cabinet is pretty nice.

truetone36
06-04-2016, 09:02 PM
I bought mine from a local guy for $75.

kvflyer
06-05-2016, 02:32 PM
I have five of these, one is a blonde. My total investment is not even $610! I smell fish...

decojoe67
06-05-2016, 04:11 PM
I have five of these, one is a blonde. My total investment is not even $610! I smell fish...
If you follow this seller you know he could get "bids" of $610 for a smelly fish!

broadcaster
06-05-2016, 04:27 PM
The guy is a fraud. BEWARE!!

Samuel1981
06-07-2016, 02:28 PM
May karma rob him of all his earthly possessions for swindling the innocent.

timmy
06-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Well it don't stop at the one selling you have to look at who is bidding maybe they are desperate people, who knows, lol,lol, they don't.

decojoe67
06-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Well it don't stop at the one selling you have to look at who is bidding maybe they are desperate people, who knows, lol,lol, they don't.
If you follow the seller you'll see the same pattern repeating itself. Whatever is going on, as mentioned before, you "smell a fish". It's always best to walk away when that happens! :)

dieseljeep
06-08-2016, 09:41 AM
The guy is a fraud. BEWARE!!

Seems to be as bad as the pool-table man. :thumbsdn:

timmy
06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
We'll eventually his luck will run out. And yes I won't be taken by what's happening there with that seller but there are a certain amount of people that are paying what he wants so until these people smarten up he will continue to rip off. And yes the pool table guy , wow see those prices, lol,lol.... :scratch2:

oldtvsandtoy
06-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Seems to be as bad as the pool-table man. :thumbsdn:

Yes vintageaudiophilia (Don Seller) is another one trys to sell sets 10x what they are worth.

decojoe67
06-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Yes vintageaudiophilia (Don Seller) is another one trys to sell sets 10x what they are worth.
What's sad is that a collector like myself will often be willing to pay high retail for a nice set, and would likely be doing business with him, but I won't let myself be totally ripped-off. Not for any set.

reichsrundfu
06-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

When I woke up this morning it was still the United States of America. Yes the auction closed at a rediculous amount for such a pedestrian set, but there is no law preventing some dumb schmuck for over paying on something. Especially an auction.

I would never pay up that amount on that crappy tv but then you know what: I either bid it to the maximum I want to pay for it, or I don't bid. Done. Point being in an auction environment you put something up and let the market decide its actual value at that moment. If the winning bidder isn't asking questions before bidding then shame on him (or her). We all live in the same universe ( and I personally have been outbid on hundreds of things just since January 1) simply because I know better. I take my shots and walk away no regrets, one way or another.

Now... Who really wanted this TV and was pissed off somebody with deeper pockets, or lower mental fortitude, outbid you?????

George

Electronic M
06-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Hey guys,

When I woke up this morning it was still the United States of America. Yes the auction closed at a rediculous amount for such a pedestrian set, but there is no law preventing some dumb schmuck for over paying on something. Especially an auction.

I would never pay up that amount on that crappy tv but then you know what: I either bid it to the maximum I want to pay for it, or I don't bid. Done. Point being in an auction environment you put something up and let the market decide its actual value at that moment. If the winning bidder isn't asking questions before bidding then shame on him (or her). We all live in the same universe ( and I personally have been outbid on hundreds of things just since January 1) simply because I know better. I take my shots and walk away no regrets, one way or another.

Now... Who really wanted this TV and was pissed off somebody with deeper pockets, or lower mental fortitude, outbid you?????

George

The idiots that buy (assuming they are not shills) get to live with being fleeced, but for the rest of us we get to put up with every idiot who has a dirt common low value set using ebay and more specifically this numb nuts (and his merry band of shills and idiots) as a price guide and thinking their beat up $10-60 set is worth ~$1000....He is silently robbing us all through market forces whether we realize it or not.

SwizzyMan
06-08-2016, 06:17 PM
There's a sucker born every minute.

baursam
06-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Now he has a working 621TS starting bid at 2495. Am curious to see what happens with this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142012389795

Looks like a last minute bid by one of his friends saved the day. I guess it's possible but based on his history, it seems unlikely

dieseljeep
06-21-2016, 09:47 AM
The idiots that buy (assuming they are not shills) get to live with being fleeced, but for the rest of us we get to put up with every idiot who has a dirt common low value set using ebay and more specifically this numb nuts (and his merry band of shills and idiots) as a price guide and thinking their beat up $10-60 set is worth ~$1000....He is silently robbing us all through market forces whether we realize it or not.

I left the swap meet, before you got there.
I bought a Motorola portable type 7" gold faced set. A TS4J, built in January, 1949. It's the most complete set of the model, I've ran across. The carrying handle is a little ratty, but all the proper knobs, set-top antenna and base, back cover and a spring-hinged auxillary control cover on the back, as well.
I never knew, the control cover existed, as they all seemed to be missing.
It seems, the last time, this set was repaired, was in the early 50's, so it needs total restoration.
It does have the glass ballast tube, which is good. :thmbsp:

Electronic M
06-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Nice find!

There was a GE locomotive that went for $20 in the donation auction....Unfortunately I missed that part of the auction (on the plus side everything I got from the auction was free) otherwise I'd probably have bought it.

init4fun
06-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Hey guys,

George

Gee , YOU sure seem to have a vested interest in protecting the SCUMBAG radios 1067 here , HMMmm, Maybe you ARE radios 1067 trying to squash a bit of bad press ? Your SCUMBAG friend (or you yourself if you ARE the SCUMBAG) are doing the hobby GREAT HARM by making folks think these common as dirt sets are somehow the ticket to Ebay riches !

And to those with no clue how this scam works ;

SCUMBAG seller lists item for a kinda high price . Someone who wants it bids . SCUMBAG , using shill accounts , bids it up higher . Back and fourth the bidding goes and if it's the real buyer who ends up on top when the auction ends then SCUMBAG has just reeled in another rip off sale . But if shill bidder comes out on top , a "did not pay" claim is filed , no sale means no paying of sales commission , and SCUMBAG relists the item to troll for another person to rip off . Shill accounts cost NOTHING so there is nothing to loose for the SCUMBAG to have as many shill accounts as needed to dupe the unsuspecting buyer into thinking the item really must be worth what others are bidding on it .

Sound about right here , Radios 1067 ? ... Oops , I mean "George" :rolleyes:

baursam
06-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Eric/Tim, time to close this thread perhaps?

init4fun
06-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Eric/Tim, time to close this thread perhaps?

Sorry the conversation took such a pedestrian turn , BUT , when I see someone taunting the "mental fortitude" of my fellow VKers I reserve the right to speak out about such a nasty insult .

Or maybe you have no problem with your "mental fortitude" being called into question and think no comment should have been made ?

init4fun
06-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Looks like a last minute bid by one of his friends saved the day. I guess it's possible but based on his history, it seems unlikely

So , baursam , It's ok for you to make your veiled insults to radios1067 by implying that it's "unlikely" his sale was legitimate , but when someone comes along and describes what's actually happening , in plain and frank language , you have a problem with that ? Let me tell you something , there are plenty of people here in the states that DO NOT subscribe to this phony political correctness of not confronting insults right there right then ! When I see something that ain't right , i'm calling it out , and if the choice of language offends , remember that if it's not vulgar but merely starkly harsh , it ain't intended to start a word war , It's just meant to get the point across without all the doublespeak . I'll say it again , the man's selling tactics are pure scumbag scammer methods , with no attempt at the politically correct hiding of what I'm saying . The man is doing a disservice to the entire hobby and you have a problem with the way I call his tactics out ?

PS , spread out those TVs in your avatar a bit more , in the pile you have them they don't look like a collector's display , more like a hoarder's stash . Some healthy distance will allow each to be appreciated in it's own right , without being overwhelmed by the others . They look like some nice sets and shouldn't be crowded like that .....

Eric H
06-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Closed for further review.