View Full Version : Found a 72 Zenith Chromacolor Hybrid @ Goodwill

Eric H
06-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Don't find one of these everyday, especially not at Goodwill. It's a 4 tube hybrid. Cabinet is in very good shape, inside it looks pretty dirty. Price was $6.99.

They haven't had a working power strip in months so I just assumed it worked, or at least came on, otherwise it would have hit the E-waste bin.

Once home it powered up very quickly, screen filled out and is bright with good gray scale.

One issue, with no signal it has colored confetti on the screen, hooked up to a DVD player it has a good picture but no color at all, it doesn't even flash color if you tune it slightly off center so something's dead.

When I was putting it up on the counter at GW the Warranty card fell off from somewhere, it's dated Nov 9th 1972, not sure if that makes it a 72 model or a 73? I redacted the owners address but it's a town in the local mountains.

TUD1
06-01-2016, 08:28 PM
AWESOME SCORE!!! I would LOVE to find a set like that! I've been wanting a Zenith Hybrid table set for a LONG time!

Eric H
06-01-2016, 08:45 PM
I found a repair receipt in the same holder as the warranty card.
It was from 1981, set had sound but no picture. Replaced Horizontal output tube and clean controls, adjust high voltage.

Cost was $48, and that included $17 for the tube.

Adam
06-01-2016, 09:54 PM
The set that really got me started with collecting TVs was one of those I curb picked on bulk trash day back in the spring of 2000.

The 'D' in the model number refers to a '73 model.

sampson159
06-01-2016, 10:12 PM
those were the best 19 inch sets made.we had these on our sales floor against the latest solid state and customers would always purchase these.heavy as hell,built like tanks!

zeno
06-02-2016, 08:40 AM
For no color.
Turn off chromatic.
Clean chromatic switch.
Pull both color modules, clean & reseat IC's.
Clean the normal-align switch on TOP of chassis.
If still no joy try to adj the ACC control on
the 9-27 board. The APC causes color bars.
If that dont do it 95% its the 9-27 or the IC
that comes with it.

Hybrids were made from B through F line a long
5 yr run. Came in 19, 23 & 25. The D4030 was top
of line except 2 wood pedistal set & a remote. Sold piles
of them. Only thing was RCA has a SS 19" so
lost a lot of sales to them. We were in the electronic
capitol ( Rt. 128 Ma.) at the time & they demanded
transistors !

73 Zeno:smoke:

radiotvnut
06-02-2016, 11:39 AM
That's a great find and your were lucky that it was out on the floor, since most thrift stores put anything this old in the dumpster. I used to find a lot of these back in the '90's; but, probably have not seen a decent one in 16-17 years. You'd think that as many of these that were sold, there would still be a good many of them around; but, that does not seem to be the case.

TVTim
06-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Nice find. I hope Zeno's instructions help you out.

davet753
06-02-2016, 08:47 PM
I'd love to have that set. My grandparents had that model, albeit one year older. In over 20 years of use, it had one service call (to replace the horizontal output tube). The only other issue was sometimes the chroma would go out and it would switch to black-and-white...a slight tap on the cabinet would get the color back on.

I never got around to tracking down the loose connection :)

Eric H
06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Well duh, the set has color, i had my r.f. modulator hooked up to the DVD player using the green component connector, there's no color output on that jack.

Switched it to the yellow composite connector and it works.

It seems to work well, it's a little too contrasty but that might be the modulator I'm using, there are also a couple of minor jail bars on the left side, maybe a tired Damper tube or something.
The CRT seems to be very strong, it's dusty inside but it seems to be the light fluffy kind, I don't think the owner smoked.

Anyhow, that's where it's at. I don't really have room for this set, I just bought it to keep it from getting tossed if no one bought it.

If anyone wants it and can arrange for it to be picked up from me in So Cal I would be happy to give it to you.

davet753
06-02-2016, 09:59 PM
If I were within driving distance, I'd snatch that up in a flash. Like someone else said, a few years ago those were plentiful, but that's no longer the case.

OvenMaster
06-02-2016, 11:32 PM
That was the first color TV my parents ever bought. Gloriously beautiful picture, but something went up in smoke and killed the picture within the first year of ownership. The dealer refused to honor the warranty so we let the finance company repossess it with no credit repercussions.

zeno
06-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Nice strong set.
For jail bars check the HV control if it has one.
Right side on R of chassis near H output. Usually has a soldered
on cover. Give it a bump, they got bad spots just
like the V size. If not probably one of the tubes $$.

Captainclock
06-07-2016, 10:04 PM
If that TV would of came into the Goodwill store I work at it would of went into the "Salvage Bin" aka the e-waste bin, it wouldn't of been on the floor like that. I'm still surprised that there are some Goodwill's still selling CRT Televisions in their stores even though the company put into place a nationwide policy banning the sale of CRT Televisions... :scratch2:

Eric H
06-07-2016, 10:13 PM
the date on the tag was about two weeks before I got it so it had been on the floor for a while. They probably were trying to sell it so they didn't have to pay to recycle it.
The $6.98 price tells me they were desperate to get rid of it.

This Goodwill always has some CRT sets out for sale, mostly newer BPC stuff, i guess if there's still some demand they'll keep taking them.

This is a hybrid set so the sound comes on immediately, if it was full tubes they might have turned it on for ten seconds, heard nothing, decided it didn't work and junked it.

TUD1
06-07-2016, 11:08 PM
At a thrift near me, there is a 1996 Zenith console for $3.00. It's been there for a while.

Captainclock
06-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that's because most people won't even bother to touch a CRT Televistion anymore whether its vintage or modern. What's funny is that the Goodwill I work at says they won't take CRT TVs (and they don't if someone donates one, it immediately goes to the salvage bin, no questions asked, even if the unit works) and they say that they do take Flatpanels though which is rather odd though because every single flatpanel TV I've seen donated to the store has wound up in the salvage bin (although its mostly because most of the flat panels they get are non-functioning units, although one time they did get a Magnavox 1080i FP from about 2009 that was still sealed in its original box never opened and they put it on the floor for sale for over $200 and it did sell after only being on the floor for 2 days, surprisingly enough...)

Electronic M
06-08-2016, 06:47 PM
The $6.98 price tells me they were desperate to get rid of it.

Out here when they still took CRT sets $0.49-0.99 was the going rate, and $3-10 was the "we think this is special" rate. I wish I could find one of those sets out here.

At a thrift near me, there is a 1996 Zenith console for $3.00. It's been there for a while.
If it ain't beat to hell, especially if it is color or space command, grab it.

TUD1
06-08-2016, 08:16 PM
If it was about 30 years older I'd get it, but I have virtually no space for anymore console sets. Especially with this new Admiral roundie on the way.

drh4683
06-27-2016, 01:09 PM
That's a great find, Eric! As others have said, extremely rare and unusual to spot one of those in the resale shops today. The D4030W is probably my all time favorite Zenith. That particular model was about everywhere around here. My grandparents also bought one new and I ended up getting it from them when they moved from their home in Chicago back in 1991. I wish I still had their old set, but fortunately I've found others to have in my collection since then.

I'm curious if yours still has the model tags on back? I'd be curious what the RUN number is and also the assembly plant code. The plant code was usually stamped in black or red ink, usually right over the model/chassis label and would have digits that start with either a 6 or a 9 like "912L430". I'm trying to document these sets and get a better understanding which plants the various models were made.

MRX37
06-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Same here if I were in driving distance...

Still got the CCII that Strawman gave me years ago.

Eric H
06-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Doug, here's a picture of the stickers, located on the left rear side of the back.

drh4683
06-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Doug, here's a picture of the stickers, located on the left rear side of the back.

Thanks Eric! Your set, both chassis and final assembly were built at the Springfield, MO plant, 33rd week of 1972.

Eric H
06-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Cool to know, I was in sixth grade then.

A bit more history on this set.

I looked up the owner, he was born in 1896 and died in 1993, his wife was born in 1905 and died in 2000.
The set was somewhere between 2000 and 2016, possibly in the possession of one of their children, the Son lives here in town so my guess would be he was the one that dropped it off at Goodwill.

BigDavesTV
06-28-2016, 09:15 AM
What a great find, and some history to boot! Like many others, if the set were near me, I would enjoy it! Congratulations!

DavGoodlin
06-30-2016, 02:02 PM
I got one just like that from my neighbor, in 2009 after the DT transition. Since 1978, it was NOT repaired, and lived at a hunting cabin upstate and stayed on 12-WBNG, the only channel receivable. All it needed was vertical height adjusted!

I gave them a Magnavox 19" BPC with converter box and new HB antenna and mast amp in exchange.
Yes, they still get only one channel there. It just takes a much better antenna to do it.

When I saw these and the CCII hit the curb during college in the 80's, I always picked them up. The CRTs were always good or easily awoken. I sold them for $100-125.

I think the first one in 1971 was a chassis 4B25C19 and the last was a 19DC22, before CCII in 1974. Thanks for the build info Doug!

zeno
06-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes the 4B was the first. It is well covered in the paper / cassette
service set that comes up on Ebay often. Last hybrid was the F4001
IIRC. Stripped with a pukey color cabinet. Just getting rid of
old parts I would guess.
They came in a lot of major varieties such as series or par
filament & many differences in the HV & HV reg. No two seemed
the same. I did one FBT job & it was a huge kit with tripler & even
a chunk of steal chassis !
In the late 70's Zenith was putting out rebuilt Chromacolor CRT's
for the 19" for $50 no dud. We rebuilt them & sold them from
$200-$275 depending on model. Guaranty was 90 days P&L
2 Yrs CRT & CRT labor, better than most brand new sets. We did
a few a week for quite a while & they sold well. Had to fix a
few but never a bad new CRT. Oh the memories.......

I got one just like that from my neighbor, in 2009 after the DT transition. Since 1978, it was NOT repaired, and lived at a hunting cabin upstate and stayed on 12-WBNG, the only channel receivable. All it needed was vertical height adjusted!

I gave them a Magnavox 19" BPC with converter box and new HB antenna and mast amp in exchange.
Yes, they still get only one channel there. It just takes a much better antenna to do it.

When I saw these and the CCII hit the curb during college in the 80's, I always picked them up. The CRTs were always good or easily awoken. I sold them for $100-125.

I think the first one in 1971 was a chassis 4B25C19 and the last was a 19DC22, before CCII in 1974. Thanks for the build info Doug!