View Full Version : can anyone identify this tv?

cluelessgame
05-19-2016, 12:52 AM
I have a large family, and each year in June we have this big family reunion at this house that belonged to my great-great-grandparents. In this house, there was a grundig-majestic console stereo, and 3 vintage TVs in it: a late-40's/early-50's Bendix, a table-top B&W Motorola (I'm currently restoring and have a thread about in the "tech" forum), and, my favorite, a color Motorola console TV that sat in the den.

These gems were what originally inspired me to get into radio and television restoration. I used to just marvel at these beauties. The color motorola had the typical cataracts issue, but otherwise in good (yet, non-working) condition.

unfortunately, last year my idiot uncle trashed the color Motorola and the stereo.:tears::sigh::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:
It's been almost a year and I'm still fuming over it.
Luckily I had taken the table-top one home a year prior or it would have likely been dumped as well. the Bendix survived because it was hidden in another room.

I plan on tracking down another TV and stereo, and have a pretty good idea what the stereo model was through extensive Google Image searches. The TV on the other hand may be a bit of an issue. stupid me never wrote down the model# (though I had no idea it would be gone) and there's very little of anything remotely close appearing online.

I did manage to find one picture of the correct control panel, on what appears to be the correct set (see picture) but no other information concerning the model. unfortunately, this may be the only picture online of this set period! (here's the link to where I found it http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/knobs,tv/Interesting)
I found another picture of an ad for an older model with about what the cabinet shape and legs looked like (other picture): rectangular, with speaker cloths on either side, but unlike the one in the ad, the control panel was in the top of the right side cloth (as seen in the first pic.)

The CRT was a true rectangular tube (as opposed to the one in the ad pic with the rounded bezel) so it must be a mid-late 60's set (still all-tube).

If anyone has any information on either a model number or chassis number (or better yet, has one and is willing to sell:D) please let me know.

thanks,
-Peter

rca2000
05-19-2016, 01:11 AM
It does not say solid state---so it is likely either a TS-914, or a late TS-908 set..NOT a TS-915 or TS-919 both of those are SS sets.

cluelessgame
05-19-2016, 01:19 AM
yeah, it's definitely all tube (I opened the back)

I just realized I really should have posted this thread in the rectangular screen tube section. is there any way I can delete/move this thread over there?

sorry for the mix up x.x

Tom9589
05-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm looking at Sams 1096. Definitely not a TS-921. The control panel is different than the one you show. The TS-921 is a tube set with a few transistors for the pincushion and AFT circuits.

zeno
05-19-2016, 10:49 AM
You can match up the controls to a year most likely.
You may have find some line folders on e-bay to narrow
down the actual cabinet style & model ##. I got
most of the Zenith ones from 60-70's there.

Who knows, with the cats here you may find one
on the doorstep ! Thats the way most are here.

73 Zeno:smoke: