View Full Version : WANTED: NOS 21AXP22 CRTs

Philco123
05-15-2016, 05:39 PM
It's all about the spares, isn't it ? Top dollar paid for NOS 21AXP22's. Rebuilds need not apply. Must be NOS, preferably in original OEM box. Inquiries to 734-788-5085.

miniman82
05-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Good luck with that, I know where one is but it won't be let go...

What do you need it for, the 5?

Philco123
05-16-2016, 08:48 AM
I would like to have a spare 21AXP22 as an insurance policy in case any of the CRTs in my 5's go south. They are good CRTs...for now, but can go to air at any time.

dieseljeep
05-16-2016, 09:16 AM
:scratch2:I would like to have a spare 21AXP22 as an insurance policy in case any of the CRTs in my 5's go south. They are good CRTs...for now, but can go to air at any time.
Prime NOS can go to air at any time, even never used. Depends on how they're stored. I'd be, just as worried about the flyback. :scratch2:

Philco123
05-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Thankfully, I have spare fly backs for my 5s.

Steve D.
05-16-2016, 12:24 PM
It's all about the spares, isn't it ? Top dollar paid for NOS 21AXP22's. Rebuilds need not apply. Must be NOS, preferably in original OEM box. Inquiries to 734-788-5085.

I wouldn't wait to long for that phone call.

-Steve D.

MIPS
05-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Rebuilds need not apply.

I'll inquire at least with "why?"

Username1
05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

I got 7 of those dam things taking up space in my garage ! All the while my Yugo
is sitting out in the rain !

:)

miniman82
05-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Hell I'll take duds, I got new guns for 'em...

SwizzyMan
05-16-2016, 07:58 PM
I'd take a dud and display it. I'd look at it for hours on end and be satisfied.

Electronic M
05-16-2016, 08:30 PM
I'd take a dud and display it. I'd look at it for hours on end and be satisfied.

If you got a good 21AXP22 I'd gladly trade you my dud leaker AXP for it.

And if anyone wants to sell a rebuild that ain't gassy and has usable emissions, I'm not fussy bout buying it.

miniman82
05-16-2016, 10:00 PM
I have 2 AXP's that aren't up to my standards, but still work with a brightner. Not sure how you'd get them to Wisconsin though, unless you feel like waiting till next ETF.

Electronic M
05-16-2016, 11:42 PM
I have 2 AXP's that aren't up to my standards, but still work with a brightner. Not sure how you'd get them to Wisconsin though, unless you feel like waiting till next ETF.

The next ETF would probably work. I've been meaning to get back to the CTC-4 in the coming months, and I won't be eager to get an AXP till I have a fix or work around for the alignment issues completed.

How do they test at 6.3V and at brightener voltage, and what do you want for one?

matt99
05-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Must...resist...prank calling:nono:

Dave A
05-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Anyone want to take a stab at the market price for an AXP?

rca2000
05-17-2016, 11:08 PM
I would say for a good one--at least $ 500. a NIB one that TESTS good(after all a NOS one can be bad too), $700 or so..

miniman82
05-18-2016, 08:19 AM
NOS/NIB try $1200, that was the last price I was quoted from someone who has one. A tested good one that has been used anywhere up to $600 depending on life test results. I won a tube on eBay recently for $225 that initially tested pretty low, but came up to pretty good after a Sencore cleaning cycle.

benman94
05-18-2016, 12:56 PM
I was offered a NIB 21AXP22 for around a grand, but I've since sold all of my color roundies.

Tom9589
05-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Let's just get into our Way-Back Machine and go to 1956 and head to Chicago. Allied will sell you a new 21AXP22 for $142.10. I wish I had bought a few, but I was only 9 at the time and it would be 6 years before I even started working on TVs and 10 years before we got our first color TV (a Zenith 25" rectangular)

rca2000
05-18-2016, 04:07 PM
"Only" 142 in 1956 dollars.... that is OVER 1200 today..actually from 1240-2000 depending on your way of measurement !!

miniman82
05-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Why do you think people buy Super chassis 5's? They're likely doing the same thing I always do, robbing the CRT and putting a dud in it because no one wants a Super-5. Most of the time you can pick up a complete set for less than a loose jug, there was a free Super-5 in Texarkana just last week for example. If that set had a good tube, that's a decent chunk of change saved on restoring a more valuable set.

Eric H
05-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Why do you think people buy Super chassis 5's? They're likely doing the same thing I always do, robbing the CRT and putting a dud in it because no one wants a Super-5.

I guess that makes them the four door base model sedan of the TV world.

miniman82
05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
More like the Yugo of TV land. I'm sure there are people out there that like them, it's just that the Deluxe chassis was better so that's what you see people collecting. Even that chassis isn't so great with its lack of HV, but at least you get better color demod.

matt99
05-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Most of the time you can pick up a complete set for less than a loose jug, there was a free Super-5 in Texarkana just last week for example.

Just curious, where do you find this stuff? Craigslist? I don't want to ever miss something like this should it pop up near me.

miniman82
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Ancient Chinese secret. :smoke:

Nothing personal, but if I'm looking for something as well why would I tell anyone else? I've been screwed on deals before because unethical people would contact someone I was already on the way to see, not saying you would do that but I'm also not about to make things harder on myself than they already are. Example: I picked up a pair of Philco roundies recently. The guy agreed on a price with me over the phone, I began my 6 hour drive. When I was less than 45 minutes away, the dude calls me back spouting off some ridiculous number that some guy supposedly said he'd pay and that's the amount he NOW WANTED FROM ME.

I about throat punched the mf'er through the phone, but in the end I had to swallow a pill all because someone thought they could put one over on me.

On the flip side if there's something I can't pick up for one reason or another, I'm very good about passing those alerts on to people on the various forums. If you look at my posting history, you'll see what I mean. Collecting is all about the thrill of the hunt for most people, if I started giving away all my secrets there's be nothing left for me to hunt...like a dumb fisherman that tells his buddies about a great fishing hole he always goes to, we've all heard that one.

Best of luck in your personal quest!

Steve D.
05-18-2016, 08:05 PM
I guess that makes them the four door base model sedan of the TV world.

Nick,

Owned several CTC-5 Super chassis sets over the years. I think they get a bad rap. When properly set up they produce fine color images. I've also owned several CTC-5 Deluxe series sets. Takes a discerning eye to tell the difference.
The higher quality cabinets of the Deluxe series is another story.

-Steve D.

Eric H
05-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Nick,

Owned several CTC-5 Super chassis sets over the years. I think they get a bad wrap. When properly set up they produce fine color images. I've also owned several CTC-5 Deluxe series sets. Takes a discerning eye to tell the difference.

-Steve D.

Regardless of how well they can work parts gotta come from somewhere, usually the lesser sets wind up getting cannibalized to fix the better stuff.

Even with B&W sets the big, "undesirable" combo units wind up as parts donors.

rca2000
05-18-2016, 09:25 PM

Nothing personal, but if I'm looking for something as well why would I tell anyone else? I've been screwed on deals before because unethical people would contact someone I was already on the way to see, not saying you would do that but I'm also not about to make things harder on myself than they already are. Example: I picked up a pair of Philco roundies recently. The guy agreed on a price with me over the phone, I began my 6 hour drive. When I was less than 45 minutes away, the dude calls me back spouting off some ridiculous number that some guy supposedly said he'd pay and that's the amount he NOW WANTED FROM ME.

I about throat punched the mf'er through the phone, but in the end I had to swallow a pill all because someone thought they could put one over on me.

On the flip side if there's something I can't pick up for one reason or another, I'm very good about passing those alerts on to people on the various forums. If you look at my posting history, you'll see what I mean. Collecting is all about the thrill of the hunt for most people, if I started giving away all my secrets there's be nothing left for me to hunt...like a dumb fisherman that tells his buddies about a great fishing hole he always goes to, we've all heard that one.

I just hope that 5 in Texarkana went to a "good home" either to be refurbished or used to refurbish another one. I PRAY it did NOT go to an "up(DOWN) cycler".. Like I said before...had it been ANYWHERE NEAR me--300-400 miles away...I WOULD have gone for it. but Texas is WAAYYY too far away !!

matt99
05-18-2016, 11:36 PM

Fair point. I'll stick with Craiglist for now.

dieseljeep
05-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Nick,

Owned several CTC-5 Super chassis sets over the years. I think they get a bad wrap. When properly set up they produce fine color images. I've also owned several CTC-5 Deluxe series sets. Takes a discerning eye to tell the difference.

-Steve D.
I never saw a good picture on an RCA CTC27,31 even with a new CRT. They seemed to have a funky color demod circuit. The colors seemed like pastels to me, not real rich color.
I know, they were similar to the CTC19/24, but the color was better on those.

sampson159
05-19-2016, 10:40 AM
i ve had same kind of thing happen to me.had a deal and was on my way to trade a ctc20 for a ctc9.trade with some cash involved.5 hour drive.50 miles from the destination,he calls and says he changed him mind.his buddy,a painter,told him how valuable his set was.chassis was dead,crt tested marginal,etc.someone else offered more and he was going with them.its not the other guy who is at fault.its the person you made the deal with.they are not honorable.my background is sales.i was a sales trainer and we are pretty skilled in many aspects of behavior.i didnt suffer much from the squashed deal.found an even better ctc9 and the ctc20 went to a much better owner.its human nature to want as much as can be had,so these issues dont bother me much.when this deal falls through,there usually is a better one near.this guy,who was an aker missed out on a really great set.when he first contacted me,he was giving me the lowdown of a couple other akers he did some business with.nothing good to say about them.i have also done business with these akers and found them to be straight up,honest people.as a matter of fact,these two are held in the highest regard from everyone who knows them.

Electronic M
05-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Just curious, where do you find this stuff? Craigslist? I don't want to ever miss something like this should it pop up near me.

I'll be more friendly than Miniman and say that you want to check all online and offline places you can think of. CL, Ebay, Goodwill's auction website, the ETF classifieds, etc, etc, and in person venues Like garage and Estate sales, flea markets, antique shops, radio collector and HAM swapmeets...The list goes on.
I'm not as vigilant as I once was. I'm may need to move soon so I've paired down and try to only buy things I've wanted a long time...Problem is I want to save most things I see so I lately I've been trying to avoid running into any electronic 'lost puppies' that would follow me home.

miniman82
05-19-2016, 04:20 PM
I'll be more friendly than Miniman

Second thought, I'll keep my AX's. :D

stromberg6
05-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Good decision, IMO. :yes:
Kevin

WISCOJIM
05-19-2016, 07:27 PM
I'll be more friendly than Miniman and say that you want to check all online and offline places you can think of. CL, Ebay, Goodwill's auction website, the ETF classifieds, etc, etc, and in person venues Like garage and Estate sales, flea markets, antique shops, radio collector and HAM swapmeets...The list goes on.You forgot "friends in the hobby". I saw a used AXP for sale a while back and let Nick know about it, but not surprisingly he was already familiar with it. Sharing leads with fellow collectors can go a long way towards goodwill. Many of the best items I've ever found were from referrals from other collectors who didn't want the items for themselves, but were glad to share their leads with me, as I have done with them in the past. Same with parts, service info, and sets that we own.

I think miniman82's post was logical, honest, and certainly not mean-spirited. I myself hold back many of my sources from others because I don't need the extra competition for future items. A lot of us have spent many years in this hobby building up our contact lists, and those who are newer to the hobby will just have to learn to find their own, as we once did. There are still a lot of untapped resources out there.

WISCOJIM
05-19-2016, 07:42 PM
its the person you made the deal with.they are not honorable.Not necessarily. There are a few characters here (and also several on ARF) that seem to take delight in spoiling other people's deals. They will contact the seller and tell them lies about the potential buyers, or tell them they are being taken advantage of, or use other persuasion to nix the original deals.

That's why if you are interested in something, make the deal yourself and complete it before coming here to ask if an advertised set is a good deal or not. otherwise you are just giving away your good lead.

However if you see something nice that you don't personally want for yourself, share that lead. If you see something here in Wisconsin that you know I may be interested in, PM me about it. If you see something in Texas, PM a favorite Texas collector. When you share leads like this year after year, you build up friends in different locations that will in return share leads back with you. You scratch my back, you may become number one on the Ohio area contacts list I have to share leads with from your area.

Just posting things at random on the "Curbside" forum probably won't build you up any loyalty for return favors. But if you see something great, and you have no favorite contact in the area it is for sale in, then post it here on the forum to help make sure one of us gets it to at least preserve it for future generations.

Eric H
05-19-2016, 07:50 PM
That's why if you are interested in something, make the deal yourself and complete it before coming here to ask if an advertised set is a good deal or not. otherwise you are just giving away your good lead.

This is exactly the advice I have given after seeing people post their Craigslist find here only to have it snatched out from under them.

I never post anything I'm interested in until it's already in my house, doing otherwise is just asking for it to be snagged out from under you.

The competition isn't just well known members here, there are lurkers who you may never know about looking for deals as well.

Well, this sure has drifted off the original topic hasn't it? :D

Philco123 have you had any luck at all? I don't know how many NOS AXP's are left out in the world, not too many I suspect.

Electronic M
05-19-2016, 08:00 PM

No offense meant, just trying to better answer a reasonable question, that you responded oddly to.

Jim you are quite right about asking other collectors, that is another one on the list, but lately it seems every time I'm asked something with multiple correct answers I spit out a different sub set of what I know....Perhaps I'm getting old. :D

WISCOJIM
05-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Jim you are quite right about asking other collectors, that is another one on the list, but lately it seems every time I'm asked something with multiple correct answers I spit out a different sub set of what I know....I just added one to your list, your suggestions were great.

Perhaps I'm getting old. :DYou're a long way from getting some of the senior citizen discounts I now qualify for! Glad I don't feel I'm as old as the calendar says I am.

sampson159
05-19-2016, 09:36 PM
it lies in the seller.if you give your word,then you keep it.i will always tell someone,1st come,1 serve.nothing personal,but its just business.i have made many deals with akers and if i give my word,i keep it.its not about the money,its about the principal.your word is your bond.buyers have offered me more than i ve gotten but if i promise and go back on it,then the problem is me.so if you have something to sell,either honor a deal or its 1st come,1st serve.over 60 years in the sales trade,i know a little about it

Kamakiri
05-20-2016, 06:30 AM
it lies in the seller.if you give your word,then you keep it.i will always tell someone,1st come,1 serve.nothing personal,but its just business.i have made many deals with akers and if i give my word,i keep it.its not about the money,its about the principal.your word is your bond.buyers have offered me more than i ve gotten but if i promise and go back on it,then the problem is me.so if you have something to sell,either honor a deal or its 1st come,1st serve.over 60 years in the sales trade,i know a little about it

Oh, I call BS there. I've met you, ain't no way you're that old!! :D

If you are, you must have spent a considerable amount of time in front of powered up shunt regulators to slow the aging process :stupid:

DaveWM
05-20-2016, 08:11 AM
if you are dealing with CL total strangers then have to go with the 1st come 1st served no deals over the phone. I have bought a lot of stuff on CL, its amazing the stories I hear from sellers about folks that ask all kinds of detail questions, directions etc... and then never show up. I suppose after that happens a couple of times the no way are they going to listen to some story and hold something. Now what I have done esp if there are distances involved, is offer to paypal some good faith money, not a lot, like 10%. I tell them look if I am not there by X time, then you keep the money. That way the problem is mine not theirs about me showing up. And if you get there late and its gone too bad, you should have made better trip plans or it just your tough luck. I am not a lawyer, but in effect you have made a contract (exchange something of value in the deposit is important here IIRC) that you may actually be able to follow up on if someone actually accepts the paypal and then sells the item before the time has elapsed. Right now I have way more stuff than I need so my CL TV days are past. That being said I do have a ctc-5 super with a good CRT! one of my early CL scores.

miniman82
05-20-2016, 01:32 PM
No offense meant, just trying to better answer a reasonable question that you responded oddly to.

It's odd that I want to protect my sources? Good thing you're not in the news business... :screwy:

Electronic M
05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
It's odd that I want to protect my sources? Good thing you're not in the news business... :screwy:

The sources that are not obvious you certainly don't have reason to divulge, but I don't see any indication he was digging that deep (so no need to lecture him on that). Why not be friendly and point him at the obvious places that he would likely eventually think of on his own (and avoid mentioning your 'secret fishing holes')? VK is a friendly helpful community, ain't it?

miniman82
05-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm really not having a pedantic public discussion about why I do the things I do with a moderator, PM me so we can stop contaminating this thread which has now gone completely off the rails. :thumbsdn:

consoleguy67
05-20-2016, 03:24 PM
TRUCE!! Now everybody play nice.

sampson159
05-20-2016, 10:51 PM
yes tim,i am that old.feb 14th 1948.started selling newspapers door to door in columbus ohio.you met me on a fairly good day.thanks for compliment but i am an old man.never drank,smoked,drugs,etc.always worked at least 2 jobs and was a single dad with 4 children.never had time to get old.now,on topic,if i needed a 21axp22,it would depend on the set and how bad i really wanted to get it going.i would think for a nib,1000-1200.00 wouldnt be out of line.i know where there are 3 crts and that is about what he wants for one.had a shot at one about 10 years ago for 250.00 but passed on it.i informed another collector and he got it and a few other things.

dieseljeep
05-21-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm really not having a pedantic public discussion about why I do the things I do with a moderator, PM me so we can stop contaminating this thread which has now gone completely off the rails. :thumbsdn:

When I read the O.P.s request, I thought, where is this thing going!
Accually, It turned rather interesting, even though the original request is "Pie-in-the Sky", due to the nature of the beast.
At least, the 21" models, the restorer has the option of using a glass roundie. Granted, it's not original and not generally accepted, but better than using the set as a static display.
The CT100 owners, aren't as fortunate. :sigh:

vts1134
05-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Are 21AXP22 CRTs prone to the same leakage problem that plagues 15GP22s?

Eric H
05-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Are 21AXP22 CRTs prone to the same leakage problem that plagues 15GP22s?

I would say they leak more than a standard glass 21" but far less than a 15G.

Composite tubes always have a higher leakage rate than all glass, there's just a lot more places it can leak.

miniman82
05-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Completely different animal.

SwizzyMan
05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Nick,

-Steve D.

What he said about the super chassis. Mine looks better than my CTC-7...

miniman82
05-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Your 7 is set up wrong...

julianburke
05-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah, while I'm at it, put me down for one or more too!!!

*****GOOD LUCK*****

miniman82
05-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Like you need one, smart ass! :D

julianburke
05-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Actually I don't need one. I was only being like "well join the club" as I'm sure everybody wants one too. He wants one that is 100% new, not rebuilt. I wonder if any such exists as all the new ones were used in the production of new TV's. Normally rebuilt ones were used for replacements as if your CRT would fail under warranty, a rebuilt CRT was usually used for replacement under in the terms in the warranty. **Read the warranty for such replacement under RCA's options** After CTC5's ceased production, new CRT's ceased production fairly soon after but there were plenty of spares and duds out there to keep up with the demand. Also RCA recommended using 21FB's for replacement of the 21AX's and I have seen plenty of evidence of that in the past. At the last Early Television Foundation pow wow, Steve auctioned off a "NOS" 21FB that was a factory rebuilt.

I do have a "NOS" 21FJP22 factory sealed RCA tube and on the box it says that it is a tube "prior to reuse, it was carefully inspected and the gun assembly is new." The tubes that failed under warranty were all sent back and rebuilt that were good candidates for rebuilding. Actually a rebuilt tube went through the same process as a new one and should be a better tube but I am sure that is a toss up.

Actually, in my opinion the CTC5 (for the time) was a pretty reliable set, gave fewer problems than the next few generations of color sets and when properly set up made very nice color. You seldom ever replaced a flyback in one and didn't burn up horiz output tubes like the next four generations of the vertically placed chassis sets when the coupling cap supplying the drive would fail which was a common problem.

Steve D.
05-30-2016, 03:28 PM
As Julian pointed out, my RCA CTC-5 has a 21FB/21GU replacement tube. This required the RCA mounting kit for installation of a glass tube replacing the 21AX metal tube.

-Steve D.

dieseljeep
05-31-2016, 09:19 AM
As Julian pointed out, my RCA CTC-5 has a 21FB/21GU replacement tube. This required the RCA mounting kit for installation of a glass tube replacing the 21AX metal tube.

-Steve D.

Now I remember what the conversion kit looks like.
Evidently, the CRT was replaced when the set was under RCA Service Company contract. Small white tag next to the CRT label.

dieseljeep
05-31-2016, 09:30 AM
Actually I don't need one. I was only being like "well join the club" as I'm sure everybody wants one too. He wants one that is 100% new, not rebuilt. I wonder if any such exists as all the new ones were used in the production of new TV's. Normally rebuilt ones were used for replacements as if your CRT would fail under warranty, a rebuilt CRT was usually used for replacement under in the terms in the warranty. **Read the warranty for such replacement under RCA's options** After CTC5's ceased production, new CRT's ceased production fairly soon after but there were plenty of spares and duds out there to keep up with the demand. Also RCA recommended using 21FB's for replacement of the 21AX's and I have seen plenty of evidence of that in the past. At the last Early Television Foundation pow wow, Steve auctioned off a "NOS" 21FB that was a factory rebuilt.

I do have a "NOS" 21FJP22 factory sealed RCA tube and on the box it says that it is a tube "prior to reuse, it was carefully inspected and the gun assembly is new." The tubes that failed under warranty were all sent back and rebuilt that were good candidates for rebuilding. Actually a rebuilt tube went through the same process as a new one and should be a better tube but I am sure that is a toss up.

Actually, in my opinion the CTC5 (for the time) was a pretty reliable set, gave fewer problems than the next few generations of color sets and when properly set up made very nice color. You seldom ever replaced a flyback in one and didn't burn up horiz output tubes like the next four generations of the vertically placed chassis sets when the coupling cap supplying the drive would fail which was a common problem.
When I was doing TV repair, I always installed the RCA, Sylvania and Channel Master rebuilts, as they were rebuilt in the same factories as the new CRTs. A lot less in-warranty failures.
The local rebuilts were used in some sets for resale that didn't bring top-dollar, Silvertone, Muntz etc. :sigh:

zenithfan1
06-01-2016, 03:10 AM
:lurk: