View Full Version : 1964 Admiral 11" portable

ZackN920
05-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Hey guy's. Been awhile...Well first TV find of the year for me!:banana: Went to the peck thing yesterday and this was the only set I saw there. Also picked up a Telechron Musalarm clock radio.

This to me is a cool find because of what came with, and where it came from. I got the original box and the matching stand for this tv! Who buy's a stand for a small portable tv?:scratch2: I don't have photo's of the stand, but the tv hangs from it's handle on top, and the back of the set goes into an assembly of the stand to keep the tv straight. The stand can be adjusted up and down.
To top it off the set was sold here in town, in '64! The shop it was sold in is long gone though and currently empty.

Well, the guy told me that it currently seems to work. Has snow on the screen and shoosh coming out of the speaker. He insisted I plugged it in there, but I passed on that.
I don't know how long it's been since he had it on, but it took some coaxing after I took it apart and went over it to look for any obvious issues.
It did not want to light the screen, but now it does. I've got to hook it up to a signal to see if it gets through but it looks like it should.

Does have an issue. I think the high voltage connections need cleaning. The screen likes to flip around as it's making high voltage sounding arcs and squeal's. Also has THAT smell. Don't know how to explain it. The smell of arcing:stupid:

Well, eventually I should recap this. It's chock full of them white plastic cased capacitor's. They all physically still look good, but IDK...

Does anyone have the schematic for this set? model: UP111OC Chassis: C21A10-1C

ZackN920
05-15-2016, 01:03 PM
more photo's:yes:

fixmeplease
05-15-2016, 03:14 PM
I like what appears to be the channel indicator in front on the top. That would have been nice back in the day.

zeno
05-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Neat little sets that worked well. The arc smell is
ozone. Look for green crud around the HV rect tube
socket, also arcing along the anode lead & filament
winding. If not obvious run the set in the dark & look
for the blue corona.

73 Zeno:smoke:

ZackN920
05-16-2016, 01:02 AM
That is a channel indicator on top fixmeplease. I first thought though, that it should have a light in it, but nope...

Will do Zeno. I gotta work to get in the cage though:grumpy: I won't be surprised at all if this set has crud around the HV rectifier tube. The base cover looks a little raunchy and the horizontal output/ damper tube (which is partially underneath) was all full of junk. Heck, I couldn't even pull that tube out until the set ran for a bit and melted that junk on the socket.:no:

dieseljeep
05-16-2016, 10:26 AM
I like what appears to be the channel indicator in front on the top. That would have been nice back in the day.

I had the 13" model in the mid-60's. It, like the 9" Playmate, was a great DXing set.
It looks like a little hard to work on, but mine never needed work. :thmbsp:

ZackN920
05-17-2016, 02:24 AM
Well, I went in the HV cage and found that the tube was gunked up. I cleaned that up and put it back together. I then hooked the SNES up to it, just for a signal source.

I found that it doesn't seem to be arcing or making that ozone smell anymore, but it still sounds raunchy(squealing) and the screen was still flipping around while it was sounding this way. I figured that the horizontal was way out of adjustment. I dialed that in but it wouldn't hold well. It would hold for a bit, then go into a bunch of lines and squeal/squawk, then go back to normal. It would just bounce around back and forth like this.
I decided to check my horizontal tube's and it turns out the 33GY7 is bad. That's the horizontal output/damper tube. It has a short on pin 7 and according to my tester 1 section rated at 0%. The other section rated well. (Tester book had 2 quality test's for this tube)

Anyway's that's where i'm at with this.

Electronic M
05-17-2016, 01:33 PM
I probably have a spare 33GY7 or two...That number rings a bell. If I have a good one then you are welcome to it.

I'm planning to be at the WARCI meet this Sunday with that GE TV you wanted to buy. I could sell you the set, and give you a 33GY7 if you show up.
http://warci.org/may-22nd-2016-swap-meet/

bandersen
05-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Nice find! Here's what the stand looks like: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265826

ZackN920
05-20-2016, 09:14 PM
^Yup, that's the stand!^

Tom, I won't be going. That's a long drive for me and i'd have to get up earlier than when I get up during the week for work, so I would not be too happy....that and i'm busy this weekend. BTW, if someone else is interested in that GE, go ahead and sell it.

I actually bought a couple of them tubes that night and just got them today. They test great, but there is very little improvement with the TV. It still goes back and forth with itself.
Where else should I be looking, or should I just focus on replacing caps in the horizontal sections?

Does anyone have the schematic for this set?

Electronic M
05-21-2016, 01:20 AM
Might want to change the Horizontal Phase detector diodes. If those are bad it could be contributing to the bad H sync.

zeno
05-21-2016, 11:31 AM
If the horz goes way off by itself change the osc tube
FIRST. Then see if it has a few "clear" caps, change them.
IIIRC they are silver mica caps & troublesome.

If the pix just floats & you can hold it with slight adjustment
go to the phase diodes.

73 Zeno:smoke:

ZackN920
05-30-2016, 09:50 PM
Well, I got back to it some this morning. I re-checked the osc. tube and it's in great shape, according to my tester. Unfortunately I don't have another to try out, but since the tester shows what it did, I'm not going to worry to much about it.

The set does have a few of them clear cap's. 4 of them to be exact. Did not change those yet...I have to check what I have in stock. I really need to make a cap order soon.

I also messed with the horizontal phase det. diode's too. Pulled it out and put 2 1N4007's in place. No change at all...I was figuring it would change some but, nope. For whatever reason though, I got the idea to try the set without anything connected to the phase diode connector. Was surprised to find the set acted exactly the same as well?!?!
I checked the connector's pins in the component board but the solder still looked good and none of the traces had lifted so that's really got me confused...

Sandy G
06-02-2016, 07:32 AM
I have 2 of thease Bad Boiz, but mine are 9" models, one is fairly Pristine, but the other one, methinks it spent MOST of its life, prolly next to a Window, as the plastic is rather badly discoloured, & feels kina like suede. Neat l'il fellers, otherwise, tho.