View Full Version : "Old TVs Create Toxic Problem"

radiodayz
04-27-2016, 01:31 AM
Makes me sad to think of perfectly good, working TVs (even BPC ones) ending up in landfills

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/old-tvs-create-toxic-problem-recycling-programs-across-america-n558701

rca2000
04-27-2016, 02:05 AM
And it is HIGHLY likely that OVER 75% of all of those CRT"S "recycled" were STILL in perfect working order...

Compare THAT with LCD"s...I TRULY think they were built with PLANNED FAILURE in mind--between the absolute fragility of them and the "tab bond issue"... they just seem doomed to failure at some point..

rca2000
04-27-2016, 02:09 AM
Makes me sad to think of perfectly good, working TVs (even BPC ones) ending up in landfills

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/old-tvs-create-toxic-problem-recycling-programs-across-america-n558701

As an old saying goes" you can't save every puppy from the pound"..

So I try and save the one that are not common anymore--or are vintage or such..

During that recent route in Wyoming ohio..where I got that GE table model 72 set--which now happily resides in its new home near chicago.. I could have FILLED my van at least FOUR times OVER.. with the "bpc type" tv sets..ALONG with a half-dozen projo sets--and I stole the lamps out of three of them.. But WHERE would I PUT all of that junk? and NO one wants it..

RCAZenith
04-27-2016, 08:03 AM
I try to keep enough CRTs (~3 or 4) on hand to last me into the foreseeable future. That being said, I will get a storage unit or park my old Camaro in the yard if I have to to get storage space in the event of finding some stuff in a now-or-never opportunity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sampson159
04-27-2016, 08:40 AM
i have about 7 daily watchers available.always room for 1 more

TUD1
04-27-2016, 09:12 AM
This is what I have been saying all along. Technology has gotten so CHEAP that people just throw everything away. I bet if those flat screen abominations were made much more expensive, people wouldn't be buying them as much, and in turn, not throwing away their old CRT sets. Just my 2 cents. I personally abhor all flat screen sets and would not be caught dead with one.

dieseljeep
04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
]

They had this so-called "Earth Day" thing going last weekend at the HTH Restore. Mostly CRT and flat screen computer monitors, a few CRT TV's, mostly BPC's. Very little, I would've really desired.

Electronic M
04-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Out here I've seen at least 4 sets literally put out to pasture...

The government was stupid allowing a non-backward-compatible format to supplant NTSC. If they had allowed compatibility new sets would have sold slower, their prices would have dropped slower, and the CRT sets would have been phased out gracefully, not in gluts.

dieseljeep
04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
This is what I have been saying all along. Technology has gotten so CHEAP that people just throw everything away. I bet if those flat screen abominations were made much more expensive, people wouldn't be buying them as much, and in turn, not throwing away their old CRT sets. Just my 2 cents. I personally abhor all flat screen sets and would not be caught dead with one.
When color TV really started selling in the mid-60's, I seen people trading in one or two year old B/W sets. Good sets, like 23" Zeniths and others. Back then, dealers took in trades. Once in a while, you could get a non-working roundie, anywhere from a CTC4 to a CTC11. Dealers, generally sold working color trades.

RCAZenith
04-27-2016, 02:29 PM

The government was stupid allowing a non-backward-compatible format to supplant NTSC. If they had allowed compatibility new sets would have sold slower, their prices would have dropped slower, and the CRT sets would have been phased out gracefully, not in gluts.

This is the power of lobbying, my friend. Funai, Sony, Samsung, Vizio, lg, and others were licking their chops to sell us some cheap crap. I have bought a couple of Funai flat screens for living room sets - NEVER for personal use!

My 1997 RCA G27304DT console would go in the living room if I were not married... Wife loves the old console, but likes the flat screen better to keep up appearances, I guess...

Sandy G
04-27-2016, 03:54 PM
My Dad always said that HE thought it was not "Earth Day", it was "Irk Day"-As in something that makes you mad. The older I get, & the more of this nonsense that gets foisted upon us, the more I realize that he was prolly RIGHT..

Robert Grant
04-27-2016, 05:18 PM

I think it would have been hard to upgrade NTSC to a significant degree while at the same time making the improved system backwards-compatible. They did try, and at least one 960ii system was tested (I think I may have seen a brief test of such a system on a Saturday morning circa 1985. For just a few minutes, a cartoon on ABC looked a little funny. They went to an ad break, in which the live action looked "a little jerky". Then, the "back to the program" bit on ABC involved an animation of a clock with a mechanical alarm ringing - and the effect was very obvious - the clock had two hammers! They switched back to normal-looking video about ten seconds after returning to the cartoon).

The real failure was in waiting FAR too late to invoke the all-channel act. If sets from 1991 onwards had ATSC tuners, most sets in use would have already been digital-ready by the time of the analog shutdown.

RCAZenith
04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I think it would have been hard to upgrade NTSC to a significant degree while at the same time making the improved system backwards-compatible. They did try, and at least one 960ii system was tested (I think I may have seen a brief test of such a system on a Saturday morning circa 1985. For just a few minutes, a cartoon on ABC looked a little funny. They went to an ad break, in which the live action looked "a little jerky". Then, the "back to the program" bit on ABC involved an animation of a clock with a mechanical alarm ringing - and the effect was very obvious - the clock had two hammers! They switched back to normal-looking video about ten seconds after returning to the cartoon).

The real failure was in waiting FAR too late to invoke the all-channel act. If sets from 1991 onwards had ATSC tuners, most sets in use would have already been digital-ready by the time of the analog shutdown.

Any recording of this? That would be interesting to see.