View Full Version : Hoffman, I think

Doug66
04-02-2016, 06:14 PM
I was up in North GA today and went to an antique mall. Found this for $38 and walked out with it. I think it's a Hoffman, but there is no identification on it. The control panel door is broken off, and the channel selector knob is missing. The back is also gone. The outer covering is in excellent shape though. The tubes are all there and several other tubes are scattered about the chassis and laying in the cabinet.

I've got the CRT checker on it right now and the 17HP4 is slowly walking up. It will be awhile before I start on it as I have 2 other sets on the bench right now, but I would like to know what I have.

Does anyone recognize it?
Thanks
Doug

timmy
04-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Yet another save. :D

Doug66
04-02-2016, 07:02 PM
There was another TV in the antique mall also. Upon entering, I spotted a mid 1950's Magnavox console, the kind with the controls in the top of the cabinet. When I inquired, the lady told me it as not for sale, but she directed me to the back of the building to the set I bought.

She later explained the Magnavox belongs to her, and she'd love to get it working. She asked me if I restored sets for people, but I told her I'm only a novice and don't have all the equipment or expertise to work on someone else's set. Maybe one day she will change her mind and decide to sell it.

Doug66
04-02-2016, 07:58 PM
I think I've figured it out. I stated testing the tubes, and many tubes were CBS Columbia. I'm thinking that I have a CBS Columbia set instead of a Hoffman. Now if I can just find a model # for it...

Doug66
04-02-2016, 08:17 PM
After studying the chassis with a flashlight and going over my Sams index, I finally found the model# CBS Model 817-6A found in Sams 214-2. At lease I know what I've got now.

dieseljeep
04-02-2016, 08:43 PM
After studying the chassis with a flashlight and going over my Sams index, I finally found the model# CBS Model 817-6A found in Sams 214-2. At lease I know what I've got now.

The firm was originally Air King products, which later became CBS Columbia. I saw those sets branded Firestone, Pathe and Silvertone. It had a lot of 12BH7's in it. :boring: