View Full Version : Late 60's Zenith B&W table set

TUD1
03-13-2016, 02:59 PM
I got this set from Danny yesterday. It's just your basic no frills B&W tube table set. But despite its degraded state, amazingly it still produces a watchable picture. The tube is quite weak though. When you turn it off, you get a nice white dot for quite a while. I just got through cleaning it up which included cleaning the (yellowed) cabinet, putting DeOxit in all the controls and cleaning the tuner. Those really helped the picture. Before it was all grainy, but now it's nice and clear, just not bright. If I had a tube tester, I'd try rejuvenation, but I don't. I don't have an exact year, if someone could fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

TUD1
03-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Here is the inside. I put in a new 38HE7, the old one was all gassy and gross.

tom.j.fla
03-13-2016, 03:09 PM
What is the model # and the chassis # ? That will help us help you with the info you want. Please every one give all the info you can and some good shots of the set and chassis will help a bunch. All the best, Tom

TUD1
03-13-2016, 03:40 PM
If I could upload more than one picture at a time, I certainly would.

radiotvnut
03-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Nice! Are you talking about Danny in Atlanta? If so, he's a great guy who has helped me out a lot.

TUD1
03-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Yep, he's the one. He is indeed a super great guy. The world needs more Dannys! Here is a video of this TV. (http://youtu.be/Qo2puUIFCQA)

Captainclock
03-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Yep, he's the one. He is indeed a super great guy. The world needs more Dannys! Here is a video of this TV. (http://youtu.be/Qo2puUIFCQA)

My great aunt and uncle out in Myerstown, PA had a TV similar to that in the living space above their car dealership's repairshop before they sold the shop.

The car dealership had been in the family since the 1940s and it was a Chrysler dealership, but now someone else owns it and I'm not sure if it stayed a Chrysler dealership or if its something else now.

Anyways, nice TV I love anything Zenith related as our family has pretty much bought Zeniths from the beginning.

TUD1
03-13-2016, 06:05 PM
It was all going so nicely. I had gotten it working passably well, cleaned everything up, and much to my chagrin, I found that it was made in taiwan.:thumbsdn:

zeno
03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Set is a 1975 model ( released 1974 ). Built by Zenith Taiwan.
It known as the hybrid B&W & also came in 12". The '75 line
also brought solid state B&W's in 9, 12, 16, 19 & 22 inch
sizes. Things were changing fast !
Problems were mostly tubes & "the usual". Also shorted rectifiers
( roundish grey jobs ) & small 'lytics on the low level PCB. IIRC CRT's were from Clinton. They held well but not as good as older Zenith / Rauland jugs.

73 Zeno:smoke:

BTW Its been a while but IIRC the white part of the cabinet was
actually yellowish or beige.

Adam
03-13-2016, 06:41 PM
It's a '75 model, must be one of the very last zeniths to use tubes. It's a hybrid chassis that only uses tubes for the vertical, horizontal, and audio output.

radiotvnut
03-13-2016, 06:46 PM
I believe '75 was indeed the last year for tube Zenith sets of any kind and those "last gasp" tube models were sold as "entry level" sets, often using up old parts from previous model years.

TUD1
03-13-2016, 09:42 PM
That's pretty cool. I guess that's a good reason to keep it since it's one of those hybrids. I sure didn't expect it to be so new though! I got it Novused up so it's a little shinier and nicer.

TUD1
03-14-2016, 08:34 PM
It seems the 16VBTP4 is doing a self rejuvenation. It takes it about ten minutes to fully warm up, but after that, it's not a half bad picture.

TVTim
03-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Cool set.

We are so used to instant on sets. I remember turning the TV on a couple of minutes early so that it was warmed up when my show came on.