View Full Version : CRT question: How many STILL had life...but went to the packer truck ANYWAY?

rca2000
03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
We ALL know here that a nice CRT ..like a CC tube from zenith or those Hitachi-made tubes in many RCA sets--nearly ALWAYS outlast ANY flat-panel of ANY type...

But I just WONDER...what does everyone here think is the % of CRT tubes that still had PLENTY of life in them...but were trashed ANYWAY..dues to some other problem in the set...or just because of "out of style",,etc?

My guess...at LEAST...75% of CRT'S had PLENTY of life in them...when the packer blade came down on them... Sure there were exceptions...91-99 Zenith tubes..the 23EGP22, a LOT of Sony tubes..a LOT of late 1970's RCA delta tubes.. but over ALL... at least 75% of them were STILL quite good..

Electronic M
03-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Since DTV came, around here roughly 90% of curb sets work. People here are always buying new better electronics, and the old ones that are too bulky or won't well serve a less primo role get canned.
Since the garbage stopped taking them they show up in fields and road sides a lot...

Jon A.
03-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Ages ago I fixed and sold a set that was sitting outside a TV repair shop of all places. I asked if I could take it. The only problem was a cold joint on a transistor in the vertical section.

My Chromacolor was sold to me cheap as a non-working set. By the time it got to me it was working again. I wonder if the ride fixed an intermittent connection on a dura-module.

Geoff Bourquin
03-13-2016, 01:29 AM
I think it depends on when the CRT was made. My experience is the CRTs made in the late 90s and newer seem to die faster. Late 80s/early 90s CRTs seem to be the longest lasting (except Zenith, of course)
RCA tubes post-CTC203 seem to have failed pretty fast. I saw a lot of JVC sets (which had RCA tubes in them) from around 2000 that looked awful by 2005. I saw a lot of late 90s Philips tubes with shorts. Those were the tubes with bonded yokes, and a lot of them showed up in Toshiba sets. Orion tubes seem to be hanging in there. I have a 24" Toshiba TV/VCR/DVD that runs about 2 hours a day and still looks great. All Orion on the inside.
Mid 90s and newer Philips projection sets were eating tubes. I saw several that broke and dumped coolant all over the carpet. I also saw quite a few of them with internal arcing. For 15 years before that they all had that mold/fungus/crud growing in the coolant, which we all loved so much.
Hitachi projection tubes seemed to last forever. I saw a fair number of Sony projection tubes fail in the late 90s/early 2000s. Sony tubes from the late 90s seemed to be spotty. I still see some that look like new, and some looked awful after 5-6 years. My 1991 10" Sony still looks like new.

What was the topic? Oh yeah. I'd say half of the newer CRT sets still had good jugs in them. I'd guess 75% of the early 90s sets stilll had life in the CRT when they went to the scrap pile.

Wow, I sure did start drifting off topic there didn't I