View Full Version : 1993 & 1987 GoldStar CRT swap?

1980'sTVman
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I have two 13" color Goldstar TV sets, one from 1987 and another from 1993. I only care for the one from 1987 that had knob tuners while the 1993 just has buttons. I have to throw or give out some of my TV's due to space, that being said I want to throw out the 1993 Goldstar but I want to know if it is possible to take the CRT from the 1993 and put it into the 1987.I am very new to the idea of working on a CRT in general so I don't know if it will work or if It is just a plain bad idea. The tubes in both of them are OK but the 1987's screen is a lot lighter grey from use while the 1993's screen is still a dark grey. I don't know whether which one will last longer, which can outperform the other, or if it's even worth it.

Eric H
03-03-2016, 06:14 PM
The one is probably darker gray because it had a tinted faceplate, I've never heard of a tube changing color from use. The darker one will probably have better blacks and contrast.

I would just look at the socket, if it looks the same and the mounting is the same it'd be worth a shot to try it.

You may be able to Google the CRT numbers and find the specs and pinout to compare also.

radiotvnut
03-03-2016, 11:10 PM
The one in the '87 was probably that color when new. I've found that these 13" tubes are usually reliable and as long as it makes a bright, sharp picture with good greyscale, I'd leave it alone.

However, if you wish to swap the tube, the one in the newer set will probably work if the sockets are the same, the neck is the same size, and if they both mount the same. If you change CRT's, you may have to do a full purity, convergence, and greyscale set-up in order for the other tube to look right. If it were my set, I'd leave it alone (unless the old tube is going south).

dieseljeep
03-04-2016, 10:26 AM
The one in the '87 was probably that color when new. I've found that these 13" tubes are usually reliable and as long as it makes a bright, sharp picture with good greyscale, I'd leave it alone.

However, if you wish to swap the tube, the one in the newer set will probably work if the sockets are the same, the neck is the same size, and if they both mount the same. If you change CRT's, you may have to do a full purity, convergence, and greyscale set-up in order for the other tube to look right. If it were my set, I'd leave it alone (unless the old tube is going south).
If the socket, yoke and mounting is the same, I would leave the neck components alone. To me, it's a major PITA to get one of those to really look good, after disturbing the original setup. :sigh:

1980'sTVman
03-04-2016, 06:31 PM

If the socket, yoke and mounting is the same, I would leave the neck components alone. To me, it's a major PITA to get one of those to really look good, after disturbing the original setup. :sigh:

I think you are right the 87's color was most likely the same as when it was new and because the tube looks just as fine as the 93's. I'll just leave the 87' TV alone then, it doesn't seem worth the time,effort and I probably don't have the tools; I guess I gotta get rid of the 93'. Thanks for the advice

MRX37
03-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I'll just leave the 87' TV alone then, it doesn't seem worth the time,effort and I probably don't have the tools; e

This is your safest bet.

You'd be going through a lot of hassle for a minor cosmetic change, and for all you know the '93 set may have higher hours. So the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here.

radiotvnut
03-04-2016, 11:39 PM
A lot of '90's Goldstar TV's actually used crappy Zenith tubes. If that's the case with this one, you'd actually be installing a worse tube than what's in the old set.