View Full Version : Information on RCA CTC-9 Felton wanted

TUD1
02-29-2016, 04:03 PM
The blonde CTC-9 Felton is one of my favorite RCA table sets. My dad is a very skilled woodsmith, and I got to thinking maybe we could build an exact replica of the Felton's cabinet (to my taste) and then stuff it full of CTC-9 ingredients. If anyone has this set, I'd really appreciate it if you could take some measurements and detailed pictures for me.

Does anyone know why Ed Reitan's site is down? I want to find more info, but I can't get in at all.

benman94
02-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Ed passed in January of 2015. His website is currently hosted by the ETF in the 'Early Color' section.
As for the Felton cabinet, they were metal with a faux grain finish. If I were you, I'd just hang tight for a reasonably priced CTC-9; they're neither rare nor terribly expensive.

TUD1
02-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info on the website.

Nah, I really want to do this. I think it would be really neat to have a custom CTC-9.

miniman82
02-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Just guess on the measurements and fudge the rest till it looks like you want it to!

You might look at a few of the CTC-4 table model cabinets for inspiration, modding to suit the 9's chassis. Perhaps a CTC-9 Haviland?

http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reitan/images/CTC4/rca_ctc4_haviland.jpg

SwizzyMan
02-29-2016, 07:16 PM
The Haviland and the Felton used very similar cabinet dimensions. The dimensions of the Haviland in width height and depth WHD are 32 x 26.5 x 28 inches. Give or take maybe an inch on the depth depending on exact RCA specs for the Felton which I have yet to find.

Electronic M
02-29-2016, 07:21 PM
If you have a different CTC-9 and plan to put it's guts into a new cabinet, Don't! (unless you have a CTC-9 with SEVERE cabinet damage) You will ruin the value of a set by putting it in a non-original cabinet.

TUD1
02-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the information everyone. I don't have a CTC-9 at all right now, but I'm sure any similarly sized RCA chassis would do for now.