View Full Version : 19AP4 Needed

GaryK
02-21-2016, 06:43 AM
I tested my old 19AP4 before I started restoring my 1951 Zenith porthole TV. It tested in the low end of "good" with low but reasonable "cutoff". Now that I have the chassis working and put the tube back on I see it is very dim. I re-tested the tube and now it tests in the "bad" section with minimal cutoff. Either I was hallucinating when I first tested the tube or after it cooled down from the first test it gave up the ghost. Anyhow I don't want to rejuve it with my B&K and I don't have a beam builder so I am going to put the set back together for now and see if I can find a replacement 19AP4.

If you have one you would like to sell my email is

kilgen AT wi DOT rr DOT com

Thanks! Gary

UPDATE- I discovered that although the tube i have is somewhat weak it is watchable to the point I can demonstrate the TV to friends who are curious. As I reviewed my finances at this time I cannot afford to buy a replacement tube but thanks to all who responded on my behalf.

miniman82
02-24-2016, 09:44 AM
I have one I don't need, but I'm in Virginia.

oldtvsandtoy
02-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Here's one on ebay and no its not mine

Item is a strong testing 19AP4B CRT. I did not rejuvenate this CRT. Was tested using a B&K 466, and also in a "sick" Zenith chassis. The anode only measured 9K volts, yet still displayed a bright raster, see picture. I was saving this as a spare for another set, but decided to make room. See my other auctions. Don't let this one pass you by, as good 19AP4 CRT's are getting quite hard to come by.
As with vintage electronics, sold as-is, no returns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19AP4B-19-RCA-Porthole-Picture-Tube-CRT-/231853235946?hash=item35fb879eea:g:M2AAAOSw~OVWym9 X&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Kevin Kuehn
02-24-2016, 12:30 PM
miniman82 - you might want to contact Gary at the email he left in his above post, as I don't think he comes around here too often.

cwmoser
02-24-2016, 12:43 PM
I read somewhere that these old metal cone CRTs were not that bright anyway.
Something about that Aluminum coatings had not been discovered for CRTs
when they were produced. Read also that some rebuilt 16EP4s, 16GP4s, and
19AP4's were rebuilt with Aluminum coatings making it a much brighter tube.

I have 3 Porthole TVs. The 16EP4 and 19AP4 Zenith Porthole TV's I have
are dim but once warmed up is still viewable. My 16AP4 Rockwell Porthole TV
is much brighter but the contrast is not good. I have obtained a NOS 16AP4
that I have been meaning to install but have put off.

GaryK
02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
I read somewhere that these old metal cone CRTs were not that bright anyway.
Something about that Aluminum coatings had not been discovered for CRTs
when they were produced. Read also that some rebuilt 16EP4s, 16GP4s, and
19AP4's were rebuilt with Aluminum coatings making it a much brighter tube.

I have 3 Porthole TVs. The 16EP4 and 19AP4 Zenith Porthole TV's I have
are dim but once warmed up is still viewable. My 16AP4 Rockwell Porthole TV
is much brighter but the contrast is not good. I have obtained a NOS 16AP4
that I have been meaning to install but have put off.

Actually when I put the ION magnet back on the tube I put it back exactly as it was positioned on the tube originally so I ASS-umed the tube was extremely dim. Bob Anderson reminded me to try rotating the magnet and presto I got a watchable picture. The tube is still weak but the picture is watchable. I wish I could buy the one on eBay but for now I will have to pass as in just recently reviewing my finances as a retiree I could not squeeze that into my tight budget. None the less that price is very good. If I could afford it right now I would already have that tube. *alas*

benman94
02-24-2016, 03:16 PM
I have a very strong 19AP4 taking up space here. If I could find a way to get it to you in Wisconsin intact, I'd sell it to you for $75. Anybody in Gary's neck of the wood headed to the ETF this year?

Kevin Kuehn
02-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Or possibly it could go Greyhound.

Dave S
02-27-2016, 07:17 PM
If the set is 'watchable' as it is, you probably don't want to risk running it on a brightener, especially on a scarce tube, but I have at least one set we ran at our museum for 8-10 hours per week for at least 5 or 6 years that had a brightener on it when I got it. Something to consider.