View Full Version : Childhood tv found. Problem it's listed as pickup only and I'm 850 miles away.

JCFitz
02-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I have found the closest tv that I will ever find to the one my parents had when I was a baby. Only difference is ours was gray and black sides. This one is white and woodgrain sides. Hardly used at all and dirt cheap at $50. Problem is its in Wisconsin as pickup only and I'm in Maryland. I live near Bryan Gadow who is fairly active here. I have some vintage Tvs and can restore but I'm mainly a jukebox and record player guy more than a tv collector so I don't go on here much. I haven't contacted the seller yet but if thee is someway to get it here through the network of collectors on here I'd love to get that tv. Link to auction is here: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/291653087295

andy
02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
It's fairly small, so contact the seller to see if he would be willing to pack it for an extra charge. An extra $50 plus the cost of shipping might make all the difference. If not, he might be willing to take it somewhere for professional packing. Be warned that some of the worst packed items I've received were packed by the UPS, or Fedex store. If he goes that rout, INSIST on double boxing. Since it's ebay, you'll get your money back if it arrives with shipping damage, but it won't bring the TV back.

There's always U-ship, but you're probably looking at $150-$200 for that.

jr_tech
02-07-2016, 07:30 PM
The listing is ambiguous... farther down it says "WE SHIP TO THE LOWER 48 STATES"
I would definitely contact the seller, a set this size *should* ship ok if carefully packed. Double box, for sure!

jr

Electronic M
02-07-2016, 07:30 PM
If it were closer I'd consider picking it up and bringing it to the ETF.

JCFitz
02-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks. I'll try. It would be cool to have because somewhere in my moms old pictures of me there is a picture of me as a baby and this set in the background. I didn't know what happened to it until I was a teenager and it had been in my uncles shed hidden for years and my uncle gave it to me because I was taking electronics in school and learning to work on Tvs. My aunt had switched the wrong tube in the wrong socket years before. Unfortunately it had a brightener installed at some point and the tube was basically dead. I had it in my room and would mess with it some once in a while hoping to find a tube eventually but when I was 18 I did something I had never did before. Apparently Whatever I was dreaming about one Saturday morning caused me to roll off the bed knocking the loose back off this tv sitting beside my bed and breaking the neck of the picture tube with my leg. It cut my leg open and my mom had to rush me to the emergency room bleeding badly. 21 stitches later I went home to clean up the mess. I pulled the tubes and threw the rest of it out sadly. I remember every detail of what that set looked like. I did fix and had in my room the 2nd vintage tv I was given a hybrid Philco b/w my great grandmother had owned. It had one side of the vertical winding on the yoke open but I took the yoke apart and fixed it. It served me well until I got a color tv. Now if I can only find that Montgomery Ward Airline console hifi my mom had as a teenager until I was about 8 replacing it with a cheesy particleboard Electrophonic in favor of having FM and stereo and 8 track. I have a picture of me playing with a toy truck at about 4 or 5 with my own kid's record player playing in front of it. I remember my mom playing many a record on that console mostly her Elvis records and old Chuck Berry , Fats Domino etc on it. But being a Wards product and this being over 60 years since it was made the chances are slim to none to find the exact same model or cabinet style. I've never came across even so much as an Internet picture of one yet. I remember it having a huge speaker grille with grayish cloth, a record storage cabinet door to the right of that, mahogany cabinet and the all black VM changer having a red tip on the overarm and a red cap on the 45 spindle. I loved the look of that old VM spinning records and I would go in back and watch the tubes glow through the vent holes and remember that smell the first time of an old wooden cabinet heating up with vacuum tubes inside. I attribute that old console with both my love of records and music and my interest in electronics.

Olorin67
02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Cant be many of those left...

JCFitz
02-08-2016, 01:44 AM
I have an idea and I did this with a Wurlitzer2150 jukebox dome glass the seller would not ship. A person from nearby that went to the Chicagoland antique jukebox show in Spring and Fall picked it up and handed it off to Patrick of A1 jukebox in Baltimore MD where I was able to to pick it up. I posted a post on the arcade forum. Hopefully someone will know someone. I'm nit in a hurry and The next show is only a couple of months away. But I what to secure possession of the tv with someone until then if possible.

damen
02-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Does this set look like the one you are looking for?

Outland
02-09-2016, 12:20 AM
There's something about these old childhood things, like cars and electronics. Perhaps they remind us of a happier time. At the end of the day, they're just pieces of plastic and metal.

bgadow
02-09-2016, 09:59 PM
I wonder if somebody could get it from WI to the ETF convention or maybe to Tim in Buffalo? From there, it could eventually get to Lancaster or DC where I could grab it.

Electronic M
02-09-2016, 11:06 PM
If the seller is willing to meet me in Oconomowoc, Wi (I'm not comfortable traveling farther at present) I could pick it up and bring it to the ETF meet (I'm also equipped to test the CRT and service it if you want).

JCFitz
02-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Does this set look like the one you are looking for?

Pretty close to the other one. The other one is like new and saw very little if any use

JCFitz
02-10-2016, 08:32 AM
If the seller is willing to meet me in Oconomowoc, Wi (I'm not comfortable traveling farther at present) I could pick it up and bring it to the ETF meet (I'm also equipped to test the CRT and service it if you want).

I could find out if he would drive down there.