View Full Version : My 1951 Zenith 24H20 chassis TV restoration

GaryK
02-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I think I finally have some success in the restoration of my Zenith 1951 Porthole TV.

Here is my Youtube video.

https://youtu.be/2nPPC2pZp00

Radiotronman
02-04-2016, 05:50 PM
So far that looks pretty good! I've got one of those test jigs too and don't use it. Just thought it would be a cool 50s piece of gear to have on the shelf.

GaryK
02-05-2016, 12:54 PM
So far that looks pretty good! I've got one of those test jigs too and don't use it. Just thought it would be a cool 50s piece of gear to have on the shelf.

I bought the Telematic 8XP4 test jig from an eBay seller. He wrapped the case very nice in bubble wrap and had styrofoam around that. What he didn't do was to carefully wrap the CRT inside the case in bubble wrap so it arrived with a shattered CRT. The seller did however refund me. The yoke had 850 DC ohms on the vertical winding. That can't be right but it didn't work anyways.

Electronic M
02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
I've got an 8" rectangular Tele-Matic test jig. I only use the yoke in it on sets where the CRT is mounted to the cabinet (not the chassis). On sets where the CRT is mounted to the chassis I just pop the test CRT in the set's factory yoke (as long as I can safely separate original CRT and yoke).