View Full Version : Stromberg Carlson TV-125 (DuMont RA-103)

GaryK
01-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Hello Group;

I have a Stromberg Carlson TV-125 console. It has a good CRT and looks to be very restorable which I plan to do.

It has a broken InducTuner shaft. The way the shaft is broken I do not think I can make a reliable repair using epoxy although I may attempt it.

If anyone has a spare shaft from a junk set please let me know. I would be very interested to purchase it.

Electronic M
01-27-2016, 08:20 PM
It looks like there are two good flat spots on either side of a clean break so glue/epoxy may make a solid joint. The hard part is avoiding getting glue on the contact ring around the shaft.

Olorin67
01-27-2016, 10:17 PM
if the break is right up to the coil, be careful using JB weld or filled epoxy, its aluminum filled, i think, might be conductive. maybe there is a fiiled epoxy, (for strength) that isnt conductive.

old_coot88
01-27-2016, 10:44 PM
I know that JB Weld is mildly magnetic, at least it was several years ago when I used it near a strong magnet. It would 'creep'.

Olorin67
01-27-2016, 11:00 PM
if its magnetic or conductive you wouldn't want it too close to the coils. From a mechanical standpoint it works great.

GaryK
01-28-2016, 09:58 AM
It looks like there are two good flat spots on either side of a clean break so glue/epoxy may make a solid joint. The hard part is avoiding getting glue on the contact ring around the shaft.

I think the only way I would attempt to mend that break is to use a table top or small lathe, gently chuck each end of the inductor shaft, align them as perfectly as I can with the broken ends mating exactly as they should and then trying non-conductive epoxy. I really don't think a successful mend can be done on these pieces considering how close the break is to the ring.

Kevin Kuehn
01-28-2016, 10:33 AM
The key to any good adhesive bond is to have the surfaces immaculately clean, which is easier said than done when you're dealing with an oil soaked mechanism. Ceramic is a porous enough material that it can wick up oil over extended periods of time, in which case you may have what seems like a good initial bond, but it could potentially fail at some point in the future. Over on Toms thread I mentioned milled fiberglass and epoxy as a substitute for JB Weld.

Phil Nelson
01-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Has anyone ever investigated using replacement shaft material? McMaster-Carr stocks ceramic rods and many flavors of plastic rod stock:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#raw-materials/=10vpk6o

There are probably other suppliers. McMaster is just one that I'm familiar with.

I guess the shaft width is the critical factor. Perhaps someone with a caliper could measure it.

If nobody sells rod stock of the right diameter, it seems you could put a larger rod in a lathe and mill it down to the right diameter. Ceramic isn't very machine-able, but the right kind of plastic should be.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html