View Full Version : RCA 18" Color Portable, 1973!

BigDavesTV
01-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Last weekend's estate sale find! An RCA, CTC-53, 18" Color Portable, from 1973. This is a remote control set, VHF channel tuner in clockwise direction only, and on-off-(volume in 2 or 3 steps). Unfortunately, the remote hand-held unit was nowhere to be found. This set has all it's original tubes, with '73 date codes, and the CRT tests as new! Cosmetically it's in excellent condition, just a little dusty, it was from a large home, so it apparently had very little use, and it was the oldest and only tube type set there, for sale. So far, the only repair (I believe the back had never been removed), was that the tuner remote motor, was frozen in the "engaged" position, so you couldn't manually tune the VHF Channels. I removed the motor assembly, which says it was made in France, and cleaned and removed the old grease, re-lubed the motor and gears, now it works fine. I plan to try and find the proper type of RCA sonic remote for this set. I did discover that the channel UP button, on my Zenith SC600, will advance the channel, but nothing works for the on-off-volume, except the manual controls. The volume pot is not motorized, the volume is in steps, there is an added remote control circuit card. I will add a screen shot soon!

Jon A.
01-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Interesting set, closest remote system I've seen to Space Command 500. Also, I didn't know any RCA chassis newer than the CTC39 uses tubes.

iong
01-26-2016, 02:37 PM
My parents bought similar looking RCA Model EP-506w in 1971. It is totally Transistorized.
It was called the Orgasy. Tried it about a mouth ago and the picture was sharp and bright but all the control need de-oxit. I think this is a special and rare TV because Rca continued to produce tube TVs for a few more years like your CTC-53. Mine is a CTC-49x Chassis looks just like XL-100. This TV I believe is a keeper.

drh4683
01-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Dave, that's an excellent find! I'm glad you were able to spot it and save! Do you know the model number on that one?

Kamakiri
01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Perfect!!!! Just what you wanted!!! :)

andy
01-26-2016, 04:54 PM
I have that exact model (also missing the remote). They can produce a good picture, but they don't hold up well. In particular, the sync circuit isn't very strong. None of my CTC53s (or sets with a similar chassis) have good sync lock even after replacing numerous bad caps and resistors. Having the horizontal and vertical hold in the back makes it even more annoying.

zeno
01-26-2016, 05:23 PM
If you have a battery opp Zenith ultrasonic remote with a full
keypad odds are it will run the volume. Lots of freqs on it.

Welcome to the 5GH8 club........

73 Zeno:smoke:

Gunslinger
01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
List the model number and I may be able to tell you the part number of the remote.

BigDavesTV
01-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Hi all, thanks for the comments, I was extremely excited to find this set, and I forgot to mention, it was $5.00, first day of the sale! :-) The model number is: EX-417 WR, Sams 1271-1, which, unfortunately, I don't have! It's a CTC-53 XR chassis. Hey Zeno, I have a few 5GH8 set's, now! Guess I'd better pick up some more spares! :-) A couple screen shots will follow, probably tomorrow, time to get myself to bed! :-)

dieseljeep
01-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Hi all, thanks for the comments, I was extremely excited to find this set, and I forgot to mention, it was $5.00, first day of the sale! :-) The model number is: EX-417 WR, Sams 1271-1, which, unfortunately, I don't have! It's a CTC-53 XR chassis. Hey Zeno, I have a few 5GH8 set's, now! Guess I'd better pick up some more spares! :-) A couple screen shots will follow, probably tomorrow, time to get myself to bed! :-)

I have one of those sets, as well. Non remote. Low voltage focus. This chassis uses 6GH8's, two IIRC. :scratch2:

Olorin67
01-26-2016, 10:56 PM
RCA sure liked those tubes..

Kamakiri
01-27-2016, 06:34 AM

I have a bazillion 5GH8s. If you need some, lemme know.

BigDavesTV
01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
As promised, here's a few screen shots, they look better than these pictures show. The color will go more intense than I have it set, very intense color bothers my eyes, so I set it just a little lower than most people do. I hope to find the correct remote transmitter, to really make this set complete! Kamakiri is right...I had been looking for a good CTC-36, or CTC-53, for quite some time, and this fills the order!

BigDavesTV
01-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
"I have a bazillion 5GH8s. If you need some, lemme know."

Thanks, Tim, I could use some 5GH8A's! I only have a couple of those as spares, right now. I'm also out of 6GH8A's, if you have a lot of those, we can settle up at ETF! Thanks so much. By the way, two days ago, while looking for something else, I finally found the TV Magnifier I promised you last year!

pendulum
01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
I saw that set listed online but couldn't make it to the sale. Glad someone got it!

jstout66
01-27-2016, 04:47 PM
We had a ton of those come thru the shop for repair. They usually had a pretty good pix back in the day. I have NEVER seen a remote version tho, and was not aware RCA offered a remote in that chassis/model.

Gunslinger
01-27-2016, 06:22 PM
I do not have a listing for EX417WR but I do have EX435WR which is probably the same chassis. The remote number I have is 145380. It has only 2 buttons on it.

bgadow
01-27-2016, 09:42 PM
I have a bunch of RCA remotes listed in the classifieds here (might have to dig down a bit.) Not sure of the part numbers for most of them. I've owned a number of CTC-53's but this is, for me also, the first remote version I've seen.

radiotvnut
01-28-2016, 02:03 AM
I used to have a set similar to that; but, it was a hospital set with a wired pillow speaker remote.