View Full Version : RCA TC1910A CCTV Monitor

mbear2k
12-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Hope this one meets most of the criteria for this forum... it's old, CRT based and solid state!

I was given this CCTV monitor and need some repair guidance. I'm doing this more for fun/challenge/learning, but will have a use for it when done so these are my motivations.

The unit powers on, but no (visible) raster. Power down gives me a beam flash and dot that somewhat slowly fades - these are nice and bright.

Testing done so far:
- Voltages per manual - all tested so far are on the money
- CRT anode voltage is 10kV. Manual calls for 11.5kV, but my probe may be off.
- Camera or video signal provides no picture
- Brightness control checked
- DC Restoration control checked
- Q101 and Q102 pulled and tested

Any thoughts or guidance on troubleshooting steps? The attached Service manual is pretty sparse and only indicates to 'service unit' if something beyond voltage checks and alignment fail.

Thanks

tom.j.fla
12-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi mbear2k, First this monitor was built by NV Phillips. It takes a standard NTSC video signal, so apply a signal and see if the screen lites up. If memory serves, this units would blank the the tube if video was lost. All the best, Tom

mbear2k
12-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks Tom - I did try a cctv camera, but will try a pattern generator also. I'll kick myself if the camera is bad and it was blanking...

tom.j.fla
12-16-2015, 01:16 PM
mbear2k, been there,done that(grin). All the best, Tom

Electronic M
12-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Two things I'd look at: If it uses a boost diode for focus or G2 voltage check if those voltages are good and if not check the diode, put an oscilloscope on the grid or cathode of the CRT (which ever the video amp feeds) and look for the signal....If nothing start tracing back through the amps.

mbear2k
12-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I found the issue. Something I guess I should have checked to begin with. Bad CRT... With a pattern generator cranked up I was able to see a faint cross-hatch. I popped on a CR-70 tester and had almost zero emissions. Just for the heck of it, I tried a rejuv - no luck.

Looks like it's parts!

Thanks again.

Sandy G
12-16-2015, 06:55 PM
DON'T feel like the Lone Ranger, Pal...That's happened to me more than once when I was given something.. Part of it...

Electronic M
12-16-2015, 06:59 PM
What type number is it? I have a NOS 12" form the 60's-80's I'd let go.

mbear2k
12-16-2015, 07:24 PM
It's a 9VAJP4. It would be nice to find one, but finding another complete working monitor would probably be cheaper. Free was attractive.

The 9" size was perfect as a spot monitor for my shop connected to my cctv system... so I could watch for parts delivery at the front porch!

dieseljeep
12-17-2015, 11:09 AM
It's a 9VAJP4. It would be nice to find one, but finding another complete working monitor would probably be cheaper. Free was attractive.

The 9" size was perfect as a spot monitor for my shop connected to my cctv system... so I could watch for parts delivery at the front porch!

I have a few of those nine inchers. They're branded "Burle", but they're identical to the RCA's
AFAIK, they were made by Panasonic. :scratch2:

mbear2k
12-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Yes, they were RCA before Burle bought them out (monitors, cameras, switchers) in the 80's? A career or two ago I installed security and fire systems and we put these in by the boatload in prisons and large campus security centers. Cool stuff at the time.

The 9" monitors held up very well. Let me know if you want to part with one of the Burle's!

dieseljeep
12-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Yes, they were RCA before Burle bought them out (monitors, cameras, switchers) in the 80's? A career or two ago I installed security and fire systems and we put these in by the boatload in prisons and large campus security centers. Cool stuff at the time.

The 9" monitors held up very well. Let me know if you want to part with one of the Burle's!

I'll let you know, as soon as I locate them in my cluttered warehouse. I'll PM you at that time. Dave!

mbear2k
12-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks Dave! Absolutely no rush. I believe, but need to check - that the 9VADP4 will work as well.