View Full Version : Motorola TS-915 -- Please Help

CoachMike
12-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Folks,

I found this forum doing a Google search for a Motorola TV I recently acquired. This was my Grandparent's TV for many years. The unit does power up but the picture tube does not appear to be working. From some of the posts I've read, it appears the individuals here have tremendous knowledge of these vintage sets and many could probably easily identify and correct its issues.

I am considering listing this on e-Bay but first wanted to know the approximate value and if any of the enthusiasts here are interested in acquiring it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here are some pictures: Motorola TS-915 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yub6xlybpg5emrv/AABkNtwPKsd6TS0Ra34zew8Ia?dl=0)

Thank you.

Coach Mike.

Electronic M
12-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I believe that is one of the early Works-In-a-Drawer solid state sets. Value depends greatly on a number of things. Location is a critical factor...If you are too far from any collector or collectors you may not be able to give it away (consoles are too big to be worth shipping, and few want to drive far to pickup one). The condition of the CRT and flyback transformer are also important...Both are not cheap or easy to find (and often cost as much as getting another whole set)....If the screen lights when powered on (don't power it on unless you know it has been safely run in the last 5 years lest you risk damaging things) the CRT and flyback are probably fine. Most of the other variables of condition look okay to me.
If you are near a large collector population center like Chicago or parts of the east coast and the screen lights it is probably worth between 40-150$ depending on who is interested, 0-50$ if the screen does not light....Start low unless you are prepared to sit on the set for a long time.

These sets are somewhat desirable, but also still somewhat common so not high value yet.

If I had room left (I don't) I'd be somewhat interested. Despite the lower collector value I'd prefer a last gasp WID set to an early one like yours since my folks had one when I was a kid in the early 90's.

zeno
12-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Early Quasar set. note how high the AC cord goes in.
IIRC these did have a HV rectifier tube that went often.
I will leave the value to others but its not much.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Gunslinger
12-09-2015, 05:39 PM
turn it on and move your arm across the picture tube. If you do not have static electricity on the hair of your arm, you most likely have a high voltage problem.

El Predicta
12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Where are you located?

These sets can be as rare as hen's teeth.

drh4683
12-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Nice set, Coach Mike.

It's indeed an early Works In A Drawer set as the front panel does not say "Quasar", but rather "Motorola Solid State Color". The "Solid State Color" wording disappeared from the front panel once the Quasar program was officially announced in September, 1968. At that time, the front panel wording changed to the new "Motorola Quasar" name. This set still has it's QC checklist and the 8241 code makes it an August 29th, 1968 build date at the Franklin Park, IL plant, so right at the end before the name change.

Everyone is on par with the estimated value based on it's working condition. As Zeno stated, HV rectifier is suspect if no picture, especially if the set stays on with sound (not tripping the breaker). Easy fix.

Its worth every effort to try and find a good home for it as they continue to disappear.

CoachMike
12-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Where are you located?

These sets can be as rare as hen's teeth.

Located near Charlotte, NC.

Nice set, Coach Mike.
As Zeno stated, HV rectifier is suspect if no picture, especially if the set stays on with sound (not tripping the breaker). Easy fix.

Its worth every effort to try and find a good home for it as they continue to disappear.

Thank you so much for all the detailed information. Yes, no breaker trip but set stays on with sound. Easy fix? Share more?

Captainclock
12-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Located near Charlotte, NC.

Thank you so much for all the detailed information. Yes, no breaker trip but set stays on with sound. Easy fix? Share more?

Usually the high voltage rectifier tube (usually a 1B3GT or a 1G3GT on most of these sets either way its the same tube and are interchangeable) just needs to be replaced more than likely is what they're saying, I have several of them myself in my tube stash and if you google vacuum tubes online you'll find several people who sell NOS tubes online one place being Antique Electronics Supply (AES), another being vacuumtubes.net, and then there's also esrcvacuumetubes.com just to name a few places, and I don't think its a horribly expensive tube either (probably around $2-$4 dollars at the most.)

Good luck with your TV.

rca2000
12-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure the Moto SS color uses a 3V rect tube of some sort, maybe a 3AT2 or 3AW2 tube...

Captainclock
12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Pretty sure the Moto SS color uses a 3V rect tube of some sort, maybe a 3AT2 or 3AW2 tube...

Either way its a fairly common tube (I have a few of those in my tube stash as well) and are also fairly inexpensive tubes, because of how common they are.