View Full Version : Zenith Combo

captainmoody
12-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Another heavy one I ended up getting today..!

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Another heavy one I ended up getting today..!

That's pretty neat! I'm assuming its a B & W TV? Is the Radio Stereo as well or is it just the Record Player that's stereo?

Olorin67
12-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Since it has the Cobra tonearm, Id guess this is a '60 or '61 model, maybe '59, so it probably doesn't have stereo FM. Might have jacks for a demultiplexer. Stereo Fm didnt come out until 1962.

dieseljeep
12-08-2015, 10:21 AM
That's pretty neat! I'm assuming its a B & W TV? Is the Radio Stereo as well or is it just the Record Player that's stereo?

An "H" model! about 1962? B/W of course.
The 9 tube tuner should be a multiplex tuner, with a 4 tube amplifier, SE 6BQ5's, 5Y3 and a 12AX7.
The set's in perfect condition. :thmbsp:

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 10:24 AM
An "H" model! about 1962? B/W of course.
The 9 tube tuner should be a multiplex tuner, with a 4 tube amplifier, SE 6BQ5's, 5Y3 and a 12AX7.
The set's in perfect condition. :thmbsp:

OK I thought so because it did look like in the picture that it did have an FM Stereo Light in it possibly, and possibly a tuning eye tube?

consoleguy67
12-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Very nice!! Please post pictures of it operating, when you have it up and running.

captainmoody
12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Here are some more pics. Don't know how this one survived..

I originally saw it at an Estate sale during the summer, but had no way to transport it. It ended up not selling, and the family put it in their garage sale as a last ditch attempt.

A neighbor ended up buying it to re purpose, then decided not to when they found everything still worked!

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Here are some more pics. Don't know how this one survived..

I originally saw it at an Estate sale during the summer, but had no way to transport it. It ended up not selling, and the family put it in their garage sale as a last ditch attempt.

A neighbor ended up buying it to re purpose, then decided not to when they found everything still worked!

That's cool, so I'm guessing the TV is UHF and VHF, or is it just VHF?

and yes by the looks of what it says on the cabinet in the one picture it does have FM Stereo built in, but it apparenly is just like my old Silvertone Stereo I have and just uses a Tuning eye tube and was before they decided to start putting a Pilot light in for FM Stereo.

dieseljeep
12-08-2015, 11:55 AM
That's cool, so I'm guessing the TV is UHF and VHF, or is it just VHF?

and yes by the looks of what it says on the cabinet in the one picture it does have FM Stereo built in, but it apparenly is just like my old Silvertone Stereo I have and just uses a Tuning eye tube and was before they decided to start putting a Pilot light in for FM Stereo.

I have two of those tuners and neither has a stereo indicator light, nor a tuning eye. It has a switch on the back for stereo FM, on & off. Looks like an afterthought.
Set looks like a VHF only set. Probably the last blond model.

LovesZenith
12-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Hmm, a sensible fishtanker. Go buy a lottery ticket, I think you may have the greatest luck I've seen in a while. It's cool that it still works! I've never seen a blonde combo. I love it!

zeno
12-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Nice clean set. It is VHF only see missing ant terminals.

About this time Zenith sold some consoles with a stereo
changer but a mono amp. If you wanted stereo you ordred
a seperate matching SPKR/AMP. Dont remember FM stereo
adapters on Zenith but some others had them.
Some high end stuff even had AM/FM simulcast. One channel
on AM & one on FM.

73 Zeno:smoke:

BigDavesTV
12-08-2015, 06:04 PM
That's a fine looking Zenith! I saw it back in the summer, too! It had quite a price on it then, at the estate sale, but I figured it sold, anyway! I am glad you got it, and I'm glad your neighbor didn't repurpose it, that was sensible! IIRC, the original home had a lot of Italian Provincial ( kinda gaudy) decor, and everything there was well cared for. Great save!

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Nice clean set. It is VHF only see missing ant terminals.

About this time Zenith sold some consoles with a stereo
changer but a mono amp. If you wanted stereo you ordred
a seperate matching SPKR/AMP. Dont remember FM stereo
adapters on Zenith but some others had them.
Some high end stuff even had AM/FM simulcast. One channel
on AM & one on FM.

73 Zeno:smoke:

it looks like from the way the back of the TV looks as far as where the antenna terminals go this could of been a UHF/VHF set but they opted for VHF only. :scratch2: Also considering that this thing has both speaker channels built into the cabinet I think this one might be a fully stereo unit (Stereo Turntable and Stereo FM, plus the other dead give away about this thing having built-in Stereo FM is the badge on the bottom of one of the lower right hand corner or the right speaker that says "Stereo FM Radio" on it. :yes: :music:

pendulum
12-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Saw that on craigslist. glad someone saved it. I don't always like blonde cabinets but this one looks great!

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Saw that on craigslist. glad someone saved it. I don't always like blonde cabinets but this one looks great!

Well it also helps that this isn't your traditional blonde cabinet, this is more or less just natural bleached oak with a light stain on it, whereas traditionally blonde cabinets are painted with really light yellow paint and then covered with several coats of varnish (at least that's the way this old Webcor console record player I had years ago was done.)

dieseljeep
12-08-2015, 08:31 PM
it looks like from the way the back of the TV looks as far as where the antenna terminals go this could of been a UHF/VHF set but they opted for VHF only. :scratch2: Also considering that this thing has both speaker channels built into the cabinet I think this one might be a fully stereo unit (Stereo Turntable and Stereo FM, plus the other dead give away about this thing having built-in Stereo FM is the badge on the bottom of one of the lower right hand corner or the right speaker that says "Stereo FM Radio" on it. :yes: :music:
All the Zenith sets had the antenna terminals this way. Before the UHF ruling came into effect, it depended where the set was sold.
They provided the holes where the terminals could be inserted.
Zenith was great at using UHF strips, where the set was sold, if the area had only one UHF channel.
The set was shipped from the factory, that way. :thmbsp:

Captainclock
12-08-2015, 08:47 PM
All the Zenith sets had the antenna terminals this way. Before the UHF ruling came into effect, it depended where the set was sold.
They provided the holes where the terminals could be inserted.
Zenith was great at using UHF strips, where the set was sold, if the area had only one UHF channel.
The set was shipped from the factory, that way. :thmbsp:

Interesting, I think someone on here posted a video on here (or else I saw it on youtube when I was randomly browsing through videos) that was basically a 20 minute TV Ad campaign from Zenith that showed how Zenith was supposed to be ahead of the game because of their use of the UHF Strips you're referring to and I believe the ad dated back to 1960 or so... :scratch2: