View Full Version : sylvania gt matic update

sampson159
12-04-2015, 09:15 PM
here a few screenshots of the sylvania gt matic i got at the etf swapmeet.the original crt,(25vdmp22) died a painful death.i swapped it out with a rca built 25vcznp22.this was a nib crt purchased earlier from the stockpile they have.these are the results.picture is really stunning,brighter and sharper than the original.i never really cared for rca crts but this one produces a really fine picture.very happy with the results.i was a little apprehensive at first,thinking it would be much better to purchase another vdc or sylvania unit from the etf.i swapped this out in about 20 minutes in front of my daughter in law and grandson.they were in shock at the whole process.convergence is nearly perfect.i like this set very much and in the future i might get that sylvania crt for it.love to find a good 25vdmp22 for it.as good as it looks now i might forget it that idea.

bgadow
12-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Ron, you've got a knack for adjusting sets right. I'm always impressed with how clean and sharp the pictures are.

dishdude
12-04-2015, 10:37 PM
That is a great picture.

radiotvnut
12-05-2015, 12:40 AM
A few years ago, I had an E48 Sylvania superset 25" console with a very weak CRT. I replaced it with a Zenith CRT from a Chromacolor II with a trashed cabinet and it came out nice. I ended up giving the set to a friend who needed a TV.

sampson159
12-05-2015, 07:35 AM
thanks,bryan.as i ve posted before,my first job in the shop was adjusting convergence and cleaning tuner contacts.we almost never used a rca crt back then.rarely used them in rca sets.the zenith crts were the preference.they always looked great and never came back.still intrigued with the sylvania crt at the etf.swapping a crt in sylvanias are a snap.probably the easiest set.this set has became my daily watcher since i got it.i also have a e 45 and e 48 superset.the superset has an excellent crt.i got it at an estate sale.it was purchased new in early 1979 and never serviced!used daily until 2005 when it was replaced with a 32 inch panasonic.moved to the basement ,it was used a few hours a day.she offered it for free but i paid her for it.this gt matic has the brightest,sharpest picture of the three i have in the garage,in a side by side comparison.

BigDavesTV
12-05-2015, 07:11 PM
That is an excellent picture! Much better than the original tube looked, to me. Glad the replacement worked out so well!

sampson159
12-05-2015, 07:46 PM
the original was excellent for a short time.i always liked the look of those 25vdmp22 s.it was good for about a week?slowly faded.i got out my beltron and cleaned it.that got me a couple more days.another tap got me a day.last one bought an hour.i had this crt just sitting there as a spare for my ctc68.of course,this set was still on a pallet.dont think i ll live long enough to need a crt for it.i watched it for about 5 hours today and was trying to find a reason to replace it with a sylvania crt.in a side by side with the e 48,it actually has a better picture.regardless,this is a great set and very happy to have gotten it.

sampson159
12-12-2015, 09:05 PM
update-my garage is a hangout for various friends.today,i had all 3 sets on at the same time.the gt matic with the rca crt,the e-45 with the vdc crt and the e-48 superset with the original 25vdmp22.all are adjusted the same,ie,contrast,brighness,color,tint,sharpness.we watched several programs on air tv with a zenith converter box.approx 21 people all had the same opinion,the sharpest,brightest,best overall picture was on.......................................gt-matic!all 3 are very good,but the gt matic was the the overwhelming choice.of course,"my mother the car" and "its about time" didnt look all that good but the army navy game was really beautiful to watch on these sets.i never really cared for the rca brand crts back in the day but i have found a great respect for them over the years.big dave is correct.it does have a better picture than the original crt.i will not touch this set again.it will stay as it is.bonanza and laramie both something to see on this set.they even said the picture was as good or even better than a flatscreen.i think it is just the thought of 40 year old sets still working and looking good.i did a triple crown survey once when i had my shop.zenith chromacolor,sylvania e-41and rca xl100.all sets had strong crts,adjusted the same and lined up side by side with only the crts showing.no cabinets or brand names were visible.after 30 days and a couple hundred customers participating,the winner by a huge margin was the xl100.sylvania and zenith were 2nd and 3rd separated by 1 vote.wait until i get my avante working!