View Full Version : My first experience with working on a Setchel Carlson TV!

Captainclock
12-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Hello Everyone today I had the opportunity to work on a 1961 vintage Setchel Carlson AM/FM Phono TV combo today, it was having issues with not wanting to put out a pitcure (blank screen, picture tube wouldn't light) so I checked all of the tubes and they all checked fine and so I went and checked the plug for the picture tube and sure enough it was loose so I closed the cabinet back up (it has a safety interlock for when you are servicing tubes and what not) and turned on the TV and sure enough I had a picture but it wasn't giving me any signal from the VCR source just mucked up video so I thought maybe it was messed up fine tuning or maybe messed up Vertical or Horizontal hold but it was wasn't, it turned out the guy who owns the set had hooked up the 300 to 75 ohm adaptor to the wrong terminals, he hooked it up to the UHF instead of the VHF, so then I swapped them out and sure enough there was video again (i had to redjust the Vertical and Horizontal hold because I had previously fussed with them trying to fix the picture) and I also readjusted the fine tuning and also the brightness and contrast and focus and sure enough it had perfect picture again, and he was happy with it. I also repaired the turntable on it as well.

I should add that he had previously had the TV serviced by a guy in Ohio (probably someone some of you guys may had dealt with in the past) anyways apparently the picture tube socket had worked its way loose in the back (also the cover for the back was damaged and could only be held on by the single screw that was meant to keep it shut as it was on a hinge.) The turntable on it which was a Voice of Music Model 1297 record changer made for Setchel Carlson was having issues with not wanting to lift the tone arm at the end of the record and set it back down at the end and shut the machine off, it turned out to be that the linkage was bent (as is the case with just about every 1297 changer I've encountered so I bent it back into position and then it worked perfectly again and he was tickled that I was able to get it going for him again. and what's cool is that I got a free computer desk out of the deal (and $25 as well) and a happy customer. :yes: :thmbsp: :music:

Sorry I couldn't get any pictures of the unit, I didn't think to bring my camera along and also I wasn't sure if my neighbor wanted me to take pictures of his stuff.

MRX37
12-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Good going!

Captainclock
12-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Good going!

Thanks! I was definitely impressed with the build quality of the unit, it had to be a TOTL model for 1961 because of all of the options it had (it was capable of stereo sound for the record player and the radio and the tuner for the TV was both UHF and VHF.) The Unitized chassis design definitely made it an easy set to work on. One question though, was it common for Setchell Carlson TVs to not include a tube diagram in them?

Kamakiri
12-05-2015, 04:35 PM
They stapled the tube diagrams to the inside lid of the set. Half the time they came loose or got crumbly from the tube heat. I've worked on 3 or 4 of them. You can do a complete recap on one in a couple hours....but most people miss the caps under the metal plate by the controls.

Captainclock
12-05-2015, 04:47 PM
They stapled the tube diagrams to the inside lid of the set. Half the time they came loose or got crumbly from the tube heat. I've worked on 3 or 4 of them. You can do a complete recap on one in a couple hours....but most people miss the caps under the metal plate by the controls.

Well Thats good to know. :)

Kamakiri
12-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Here are two of the ones I worked on, the combo is a '59 model that I picked up out of an estate in Rochester. Excellent engineering, but they really skimped out on the cabinets and knobs.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=186424&d=1428060365

Captainclock
12-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Here are two of the ones I worked on, the combo is a '59 model that I picked up out of an estate in Rochester. Excellent engineering, but they really skimped out on the cabinets and knobs.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=186424&d=1428060365

That combo unit you have is just like the one I worked on! except the one I worked on was from 1961 and not 1959. :thmbsp: :yes: