View Full Version : What's this set?

Kamakiri
11-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Looks like I'm picking up a freebie on CL on Sunday, the one on the bottom. Anyone recognize it?

Dubis7
11-20-2015, 08:41 AM
1970s Zenith, maybe?

pac.attack76
11-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Most likely a Zenith. Not sure of year but probably before 1980.

Kamakiri
11-20-2015, 10:14 AM
For some reason I'm starting to really dig the ugly '70s Mediterranean looking sets :)

jbattles
11-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Get the rca that's a great set.

consoleguy67
11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Wow, the 70s styles were gross!! The furniture style was very dark and overly ornate.

zeno
11-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Top set RCA
Bottom set cant quite tell Maybe a Maggy. Need to
see knobs........... Worth looking into, may be a rarity.

RCA may be a CTC169 they had a killer pix but a little
hard to work on. I loved them as they always came out great,
never seen a soft jug in one.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep
11-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Wow, the 70s styles were gross!! The furniture style was very dark and overly ornate.
That cabinet seems to be a little more ornate than normal, to the extent of being hideous. :thumbsdn:

Electronic M
11-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Bottom one looks like a Sears or maybe Curtis Mathes set to me.

Kamakiri
11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm just gonna get the bottom one. Because, y'know, I have to limit myself....unless one of you wants it and wants to take possession at ETF....

Kamakiri
11-20-2015, 02:02 PM
That cabinet seems to be a little more ornate than normal, to the extent of being hideous. :thumbsdn:

It IS ugly, ain't it? And it will be mine....allllllll mine :D

Jon A.
11-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Man, ugly is the IN thing these days. :thmbsp:

I had two Sears-branded RCAs like the one on top, both CTC157. The cabinets are mostly Masonite and are quite sturdy. The only particle board is just above the swivel base.

Kamakiri
11-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Well, the mystery is over. Zenith CCII.

The thing was heavily water damaged on the bottom (to the point where the bottom board in the back looked like it came off a shipwreck), the top was heavily scratched/damaged, the front control door missing, and the channel indicator windows were half gone.

It was a pushbutton tuner, that thing on the front that looked like a channel knob, was a sticker. Looked like someone let a preschooler have his/her way all over the front of it, possibly jabbing things at the control panel.

Wasn't worth carrying out of the basement (to me). I left it there. Yeah, might have been decent parts in there, but that was a battle I chose to retreat from.

Electronic M
11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Well, the mystery is over. Zenith CCII.

The thing was heavily water damaged on the bottom (to the point where the bottom board in the back looked like it came off a shipwreck), the top was heavily scratched/damaged, the front control door missing, and the channel indicator windows were half gone.

It was a pushbutton tuner, that thing on the front that looked like a channel knob, was a sticker. Looked like someone let a preschooler have his/her way all over the front of it, possibly jabbing things at the control panel.

Wasn't worth carrying out of the basement (to me). I left it there. Yeah, might have been decent parts in there, but that was a battle I chose to retreat from.

If it had a delta-gun Zenith Chromacolor Black matrix CRT in it then that alone is a huge loss....They were perhaps the best CRTs ever made.

If that was the case I'd have taken it, saved the CRT chassis and tuner (given away/sold any of that I did not think I'd use, to anyone that might use it), and thrown out the cabinet.

There is only a finite number of parts and parts sets out there....We should save whatever we can.

jr_tech
11-29-2015, 01:58 PM

"You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them"...
I would not have bothered either... you can't save them all!

jr

Jon A.
11-29-2015, 02:27 PM
If it had a delta-gun Zenith Chromacolor Black matrix CRT in it then that alone is a huge loss....They were perhaps the best CRTs ever made.

If that was the case I'd have taken it, saved the CRT chassis and tuner (given away/sold any of that I did not think I'd use, to anyone that might use it), and thrown out the cabinet.

There is only a finite number of parts and parts sets out there....We should save whatever we can.
Agreed, I would have parted it out. It may have meant a good spare CRT for your RCA console in which the CRT needed a zap.

pac.attack76
11-29-2015, 03:32 PM

AGREED. Had I drove anywhere to pick up something, I wouldn't leave empty handed. Not like you can pick up these tubes at any store. Their gone. Crt is a dead issue now and without us, what kind of future does it have. I knew it was a Zenith.

slatton86
11-29-2015, 06:06 PM
I spent a lot of time in front of a Zenith just like that as a kid. It was my uncles who bought it new when he was fresh out of collage and kept until the screen turned bright yellow a few years ago, then he upgraded to HD.

pac.attack76
11-29-2015, 06:33 PM
I spent a lot of time in front of a Zenith just like that as a kid. It was my uncles who bought it new when he was fresh out of collage and kept until the screen turned bright yellow a few years ago, then he upgraded to HD.

Whew! That's a word that scares me. "Upgrade". For some, I'm sure an HD set is an upgrade. But I've found over the years that newer does not mean better. I have a 65" 4k ultra HD set but I won't part with my crt collection. That plus the reliability of these new sets are nowhere near what crt sets were.

Electronic M
11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
If that was rapid rather than gradual all that was likely wrong was a blown chroma video output transistor...Likely the blue output.

slatton86
11-30-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm sure he felt it served him well. A lot better then my 56" 1080p DLP. I gave the order to scrap it a couple weeks ago after deciding it was not worth it to replace the DLP chip for the second time! I got 8 years out of a TV that cost nearly $3000. If you see another thread I am in, there is a picture of the CRT I bought when I was 15, nearly 15 years ago for about $300, still running strong!

Maybe that GE will be a good start to making sure that TV doesn't die until the CRT is gone, and maybe by then someone may be rebuilding them.

Kamakiri
11-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Agreed, I would have parted it out. It may have meant a good spare CRT for your RCA console in which the CRT needed a zap.

Got a NIB 25V sitting in my garage :)

Jon A.
11-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Got a NIB 25V sitting in my garage :)
Good enough. :thmbsp: Ideally I would put a NOS CRT in my Electrohome console as it's nearly flawless otherwise. Darn Instavu switch.