View Full Version : GE PortaColor Info Wanted!

user181
10-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I've often wondered about all the feature variations, etc. of the PortaColor over the years, and am now making a meager attempt to try to collate all the tidbits into a database. As a first pass, I made a spreadsheet of model numbers harvested from the Sams website, along with their corresponding Photofacts, and I've put the spreadsheet on Google Docs.

My request is that anyone who is interested would add to the spreadsheet any & all details about each model number, including its features, cabinet style/color, etc. Also, to let me know if there are any missing model numbers in my list.

What would also be great is if anyone knows if there was a "magic decoder ring" that explains what each character in the model number signified.

I have shared the spreadsheet at the following link. Anyone can view & comment on it, but if you'd like to edit, you need a Google account and to contact me so that I can give you write access.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GP8SKSV7EBjYWrVu7AtFUl2oU7p1eyz8LaaJfeEFIYk/edit?usp=docslist_api

I'd like to make this into a shared resource for the community, not just limited to model number details, but also other relevant info on operation & repair of these sets.

Please let me know what you think, and if you can contribute info.

Thanks!

ZackN920
10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Interesting. What's that Portacolor website? That site has a lot of interesting info on them. Mabey you can add more from there. Also check over my thread about my $1 Portacolor, doubt there anything to add from there but I've got a lot of photo's of it.

Tony V
10-30-2015, 11:43 PM
In Living Portacolor is the website http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

ZackN920
10-31-2015, 08:14 PM
^^That's what I was thinking of!^^ I knew it wasn't called portacolor.com or whatever and that it was an offshoot of someone's site.

user181
11-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Even if you're not interested in editing the spreadsheet, would those of you who own PortaColors mind commenting back to this thread, please, with your model number and its attributes (cabinet style/color, features such as lighted dial and/or clock timer, etc.)? I'll compile this info into the document. I'll also glean what I can from the "In Living PortaColor" website.

Do certain characters in the model number signify certain features/aspects, or is that not necessarily a hard rule?

Thank you!