View Full Version : New thread, regarding TV's in thrift shops.

dieseljeep
10-30-2015, 11:14 AM
I looked up the GW location, cited by VK member, WISCOJIM!
The GW in question, located in Appleton, WI. is considered a training center, as well as a resale shop.
Maybe, that's the reason, they continue to handle TV sets. Training people how to operate electronic items is part of the program.
I personally think, the refusal to accept TV's is a store-by-store decision, suggested by corporate! The were sold for like, $1.00 to $10.00 or so, even less at times. I'm watching an RCA stereo 20" that tunes digital OTA and cable digital channels, I paid $0.88 for it with my senior's discount.
I also think, people were returning them because they couldn't get them working OTA.
BTW, Did I mention that people are their own worst enemies! :sigh:

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 12:24 PM
I looked up the GW location, cited by VK member, WISCOJIM!
The GW in question, located in Appleton, WI. is considered a training center, as well as a resale shop.
Maybe, that's the reason, they continue to handle TV sets. Training people how to operate electronic items is part of the program.
I personally think, the refusal to accept TV's is a store-by-store decision, suggested by corporate! The were sold for like, $1.00 to $10.00 or so, even less at times. I'm watching an RCA stereo 20" that tunes digital OTA and cable digital channels, I paid $0.88 for it with my senior's discount.
I also think, people were returning them because they couldn't get them working OTA.
BTW, Did I mention that people are their own worst enemies! :sigh:

Well Maybe that's the case I don't know but all I know is that the stores in my area no longer take TVs of any kind anymore and lots of other people on here reported the same thing including another thead on here that was entitled "I saw this coming a mile away" that was posted by a fellow VK'er who reported the same thing I did about Goodwill no longer taking TVs so its not just me reporting this issue, but others on here as well.

So please don't be hating on me just because I report what I hear and see. And like I said in my previous post on my one thread regarding this issue, the Goodwills in my area have no problems with TVs being taken from the front of Dropboxes because they're just going to be recycled anyhow, and if one can save a perfectly good CRT TV from being smashed by the recycler then I say go for it!

I'm sure if someone were to see an old Zenith Porthole TV or an old Color Roundy in the Goodwill dropbox area you would be all over picking that thing up if its for trying to save it from being recycled!

rca2000
10-30-2015, 12:43 PM
IN this area,,,the GW do NOT have many--often ANY--tv sets...once in a WHILE --one does, but NEVER any "vintage stuff".

BUT....a few thrift stores around here DO. IN ONE...I have come across a NUMBER Of nice old tv sets..A 4-tube Zenith color, a "tin can " Zenith BW set, That 16 inch RCA I had and sold at the swap meet, that GE I had there, A porta=-color set in GREAT physical shape---that I also passed on to another here, A "philco" branded Sylvania 13" E-21 chassis set I think, A 77 13" Zenith BW set, side mounted cold chassis, 1989 Sears 20 inch color like I worked on back then, a 13 inch cold Zenith 89 color, and maybe a few I have forgotten.

ALSO...once in a while--they have decent HI-FI stuff. I got a big RCA console stereo console--NOT in good condition, BUT with a P-P 6BQ5 amp...for LESS than $ 1!! Needless to say--I saved that amp and tuner . The speakers were ALREADY totally trashed--looked rat-eaten, but the amp was ok.

I usually find MUCH more there--than in the garbage these days. Most "curb finds" today--are flat panel sets..since i do NOT normally pick up BPC/SPC CRT sets...

etype2
10-30-2015, 01:46 PM
From the previous thread:

"Goodwill is a non-profit organization founded by a Methodist minister. Local Goodwill stores are "community owned" or franchised. Goodwill's policy is to prevent perfectly good items from reaching the landfill. Goodwill encourages that items that cannot be sold in stores, be creatively recycled so that funds can be generated from those items.

So, following these guidelines, individual local Goodwill store managers are most likely using descreationary options on how items are disposed of or recycled. I would expect that some store managers see value in CRT televisions."

The point is televisions or anything else dropped off at a Goodwill location is their property. Before taking private property, you should ask for permission first. You don't know what a given Goodwill managers intention is as to the disposition of an item dropped off at their store. They may take the item to a recycle area, they may take the item to a salvage center. They may get reimbursements for items sent to recycle centers or salvage centers. They may even use this money to help pay expenses and train the employees they hire. Goodwill is a non-profit organization seeking to help the communities they serve.

rca2000
10-30-2015, 01:51 PM
STOP !! beating a "dead horse "!!!! THIS thread is about stuff garnered from thrift stores and such. Your point was WELL discussed--on the other TWO threads !!

Electronic M
10-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Goodwill here has enough dumb people that even STORE policy is routinely disobeyed by employees.....A good example: Goodwill here recycles computer towers. They can sell everything computer related that does not contain memory (a tower, tablet, etc. contains memory so they won't resell it due to liability of info theft*)....But I've bought a hard drive from them, multiple used memory cards, and even an XP era HP tablet computer.

*I'm surprised they do not just pull the hard drives and ram, put them on the floor, and let the buyer deal with that....

@ etype2, Stop feeding the trolls.

Jon A.
10-30-2015, 04:53 PM
I saw a console stereo that was probably from the early 60s at the Salvation Army once, even though there was a sign saying those were unacceptable donations. That unit wasn't in nice shape, didn't work and had some loose wires underneath, yet they realized it would have value to someone. Things that go straight to the trash there, no exceptions are mattresses, helmets and certain baby-related items, i.e. cribs and car seats.

rca2000
10-30-2015, 04:55 PM
ANd THAT--"sleeping/siting items NOT being sold--is VERY likely-=-due to the bedbug issue..

etype2
10-30-2015, 05:04 PM
A new Goodwill store had a grand opening this past April which is in a retirement community very close to me.

http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/image37.jpeg

I went there this afternoon, here a few of the offerings.

http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/image38.jpeg

http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/image39.jpeg

I asked to talk with the store manager today. His store is one of 62 stores in Northern Arizona. He said the stores in Southern Arizona have a different policy. The manager said every store is independent and his store policy was to accept everything. One of the things he won't sell in the store for example, is mattresses because of health reasons. He still accepts them and they break them down and recycle the materials and generate funds in doing this.

This subject is important to me. I'm retired and my wife and I work with charitable organizations. I work with the Red Cross, I am on the Board of Directors of our HOA, I am on the neighborhood watch committee, my wife and I do volunteer work for a local Golden Retriever rescue. I also work with the local Sheriff possee.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I once bought an early 1960s vintage Magnavox console stereo from Goodwill and it was missing its amplifier tubes and they had it priced for $10 and it was still in reasonably good shape yet so I went ahead and popped on it and I was able to get it for $6 and some change when I donated a dollar to them so I brought it home got some tubes for it and got a different turntable for it (which was from Dave the one who started this thread) and I got the thing going for less than $50 and I could easily flip it for well over $100.

Then there was a time that I saw a 1930s vintage Truetone Console Radio in the local Goodwill for $99 which I was surprised that they were wanting that much for it considering the cabinet wasn't in very good shape anymore and it was missing some knobs and pushbuttons and the speaker and grill-cloth was torn to shreds and the power cord was dry rotted to the point that there was bare wires exposed. Needless to say I passed on that unit because they were wanting too much for it considering how much work it needed. And then I went back the next day which was a 50% off day and saw that the radio was gone, so more than likely it went to someone who was going to gut it out and make a fish tank out of it... :scratch2:

So those are my vintage finds from Goodwill they don't happen very often like RCA2000 pointed out but when they do its a pleasant surprise. :yes::thmbsp:

dieseljeep
10-30-2015, 09:16 PM
BTW, I'm going to take a ride to the Appleton, WI GW, just to see what they offer. My resi is about 50-55 miles from there.
I'll report back on my findings. :scratch2:

Olorin67
10-30-2015, 09:51 PM
if you go to Appleton, there are other decent thrifts along highway 41, too, and a Half Price books

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM
BTW, I'm going to take a ride to the Appleton, WI GW, just to see what they offer. My resi is about 50-55 miles from there.

You go do that, although I'm sure they aren't going to have much probably mostly BPC sets or maybe if you're lucky some 1980s vintage RCAs or Zeniths but that's about it, I bet anything older than that they'll probably junk because they probably think that anything that isn't cable compatible isn't worth their time messing with. :yes:

WISCOJIM
10-30-2015, 10:44 PM

For TVs you'll see just what was in the picture I took yesterday. This is a Goodwill outlet center where they sell "last chance" items. These are items that were previously in regular Goodwill retail stores, but didn't get purchased through their regular shelf life cycle (the color codes for different weeks). If you ever wondered where that stuff goes after it gets culled out of the stores, it is to places like this, where it is often sold by the pound. It's kind of fascinating to watch the scrambling through the large bins when the fresh product comes to the floor every half-hour or so. (Bring a set of gloves, or you can buy a pair there).

Here's a video showing what to expect there: https://youtu.be/CGSg1SXF-yM

Goodwill Ralph B. Shiner, Jr. Center
1341 W Spencer St.
Appleton, WI

I picked up a Simpson 454 dual trace scope when I was there Thursday for $19.99.

And if you stop by the Neenah retail store, there were two portable CRT TVs on the shelf there yesterday morning.

But there are a whole lot more TVs to see in my storage bins just north of Appleton.

rca2000
10-30-2015, 10:51 PM
We have one about 40 miles from here. Every so often...I DO find something there. A few receivers, radios, and even a 42 inch flat panel set--for $10, which I fixed and it did NOT have a busted panel.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 10:57 PM
We have one about 40 miles from here. Every so often...I DO find something there. A few receivers, radios, and even a 42 inch flat panel set--for $10, which I fixed and it did NOT have a busted panel.

Well Good for you, but like I said when I saw flat-panel TVs at goodwill before they stopped taking TVs in my area, they all had broken screens and since Goodwill doesn't even test any of their stuff that goes out on the floor (which is why they say you have 3 days to bring it back if its not working) they didn't know the TVs had broken screens on them, I'm sure if they would of tested them and saw that the screens were broken they would of landed in the recycling pile since it wouldn't of been worth fixing them.

rca2000
10-30-2015, 11:15 PM
I took a chance. I could NOT tell if the screen was broken or not, and it VERY well could have been--lying in one of those big tubs they have with all sorts of other crap on and around it. And it would NOT cone on--just had an orange power light that would NOT change. But it had the computer-type cord on it and a stand. So...I figured out that if the panel WAS Broken--i had at least $10 worth of parts there....

As it turned out--the panel was OK. I ended up selling the set for $110, with a westinghouse remote I had that worked perfectly for it. It has ONE scratch on the very left side of the panel--but it was NOT really visible when on. that set had FOUR HDMI inputs, and a digital tuner too.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 11:35 PM
I took a chance. I could NOT tell if the screen was broken or not, and it VERY well could have been--lying in one of those big tubs they have with all sorts of other crap on and around it. And it would NOT cone on--just had an orange power light that would NOT change. But it had the computer-type cord on it and a stand. So...I figured out that if the panel WAS Broken--i had at least $10 worth of parts there....

As it turned out--the panel was OK. I ended up selling the set for $110, with a westinghouse remote I had that worked perfectly for it. It has ONE scratch on the very left side of the panel--but it was NOT really visible when on. that set had FOUR HDMI inputs, and a digital tuner too.

That must of been a high dollar unit then because most HD flat panel TVs I've seen usually only have one or two HDMI ports on them (including the one my aunt gave me).

Marco-nix
10-31-2015, 07:05 AM
We have no store like this except one with the name " VALUE VILLAGE " Village des valeurs in french.. they have lot of used stock .. tv.. radio and many more stuff...

Findm-Keepm
10-31-2015, 08:54 AM
Our biggest and best thrift store is Thrift Store City on East tLittle Creek Road. It is run by a company for the local battered women shelters. They do have TVs - both CRT and flat panel, as most folks here are on cable and can use either type.

The store used to be beyond awesome - they were in a tiny location, had lots of donations, and had to get rid of stuff quick. I got some of my best buys there:

Altec tube amp in original shipping container, $4.98, later sold on eBay for 426 bucks.
Sansui AU11000 amp, bought for 14.98, sold to a Connecticut lawyer for 412 bucks.
Sorensen 0-60V, 30A metered supply, I still have it, bought for $29.98. I damn near got a hernia getting it in the shopping cart.
HP 1740A O'scope, $24.98 - worked from day one with only a dirty control or two.
Numerous Heathkits, sold all of them - amps, test equipment and a weather station
Big bag of HP and Tek Oscope probes and parts, $3.98 - no one knew what they were and sold them as power cords!
Two huge Conn Organs - 15 for one, 29.98 for the second. I got about 35 clear top RCA tubes from both, and sold a few of the caps on eBay.
Two 1000VA autoformers for 4.98 - 120/240
Wavetek 183 sweep gen - 4.98 - they thought it was a computer peripheral of some sort.
Eico HF-81 - I paid 24.98, and it was missing all but one tube. I sold it for parts, getting 50 bucks for the knobs alone.
Westinghouse 22" LCD TV - had a busted HDMI input (only one on the set) - so I donated it to my church for use as a video monitor/TV - I paid 39.98, and did not know about the busted HDMI connector.
Several Supreme instruments, and I haven't attempted restoration on any of them.

Now that they are at a larger location, they have both higher prices, and a boutique area for their electronic items, most priced beyond what I would pay, but still a bargain for most people. They use eBay for starting prices on high-demand stuff, but come down on Thursdays by 30%, and if it doesn't sell, come down another 30% the following Thursday. I got one of the Conn Organs that way - I waited them out, as it was sitting no where near a power outlet.
They also have clothes, books, the usual housewares and such, but man do they get odd items occasionally.

Countryford
11-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I love going to Goodwill here. Their CRT sets, even consoles, are priced at $1.00 each. My husband hates it when I go to Goodwill. I almost always bring home a TV or two. Most of the time the TVs are from the 80s and 90s. I have gotten a few from the 70s, and some tube stuff.

As someone mentioned above, their price tags have different colors on them. Each day is half off of a certain color tag. Then every other Saturday is half off store wide. Once one such day, I brought home $70 worth of tubes. The lady at the register told me someone had spent about $100 on tubes earlier that morning.

wa2ise
11-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I took a chance. I could NOT tell if the screen was broken or not, and it VERY well could have been--lying in one of those big tubs they have with all sorts of other crap on and around it. ...

About 5 years ago I saw a broken flat screen (around 36 inches) for $50 at a thrift. And that set was powered on, and you could see strange colors in small areas that did "work" and large dead regions in the display. Such a deal... :D

As for "Deadhorse", that's a name of a small town on the north shore of Alaska. They probably don't have any thrifts, though. :D

DavGoodlin
11-09-2015, 02:51 PM
That video of the Outlets rolling "BINS" could have been taken at the one two miles from our place. In the last 2 months, I got two console stereos there as much furniture is placed against the walls.
One was a Zenith SF2505 1959 stereo tube-amped record player in a decent Blonde CABINET. I swapped in a newer Zenith-VM 2g changer for the fubar'ed BSR someone stuck in there when they plucked out the cobramatic. For just $15, it was a steal and sounded fantastic after I restored it.
The second was last week, for a ten-spot I got a 1967 Magnavox Astrosonic console with the manual and registration card still inside. I was not surprised to see a local owner and dealer (still in business and migrated into high-end audio installs) I ordered caps for that one, as those Mags always need ALL new electrolytics to sound great again.

I drop by there every few days just to check when out shopping. Talk about compulsive!

Arcanine
11-09-2015, 04:18 PM
It's very common for Goodwill to not accept CRT televisions. None of the ones in my area down, and that includes North East Illinois, and South East Wisconsin.

No CRT TV's. Occasionally Salvation Army will have a CRT TV or two, but rarely.

When I flew to Portland, Oregon earlier this year, I checked several Goodwill stores out there. Same policy. No CRT Television sets what so ever.