View Full Version : Please don't switch videokarma to that new software audiokarma is no on

wa2ise
10-30-2015, 10:22 AM
I kinda hate that new forum software they switched Audiokarma on a month ago. It's a PITA. It's probably a case of having to figure out a different software package, which is an aggravating annoyance for no real payoff. I already went thru the learning curve to get comfortable with the current forum software Videokarma is running, and see no real reason to have to go thru that again.

Jon A.
10-30-2015, 11:55 AM
There's still a problem with shared images as well. I get a bunch of messed-up text links where buttons should be in the PM system and when using advanced thread reply.

luvvinvinyl
10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Wardsweb is not yet finished with the conversion, and is working on images, now.

Please be patient.

Username1
10-30-2015, 04:19 PM
I don't like it either....

Findm-Keepm
10-30-2015, 08:22 PM
+1

To quote Yoda, sucketh it does.

https://i.imgflip.com/tftpw.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/tftpw)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Work in progress, but a retrograde from my user experience. VBulletin is the best forum environment, but must be a pain to maintain, =or= we have some folks who just like to tinker and inflict pain upon others.

I'll hang out here for a while.......:thmbsp:

Jon A.
10-30-2015, 08:47 PM
+1

To quote Yoda, sucketh it does.

Work in progress, but a retrograde from my user experience. VBulletin is the best forum environment, but must be a pain to maintain, =or= we have some folks who just like to tinker and inflict pain upon others.

I'll hang out here for a while.......:thmbsp:
I say that's mostly what's behind modern technology, which is never modern for long these days.

First Windows 8, now this.

MRX37
10-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Whoa. Wow. Why didn't you guys just go with SMF?

I've never used that forum software before, but I can say that the vbulletin used here... well the PM system was designed by somebody with a violent, sadistic hatred towards user interfaces.

Olorin67
10-31-2015, 01:17 PM
I find it a bit hard to Navigate, so far...but then I was used to the old one.

Kamakiri
10-31-2015, 03:23 PM
From what I understand, there's no plan to change VK over in the immediate future.......

:yes:

Findm-Keepm
10-31-2015, 07:22 PM
From what I understand, there's no plan to change VK over in the immediate future.......

:yes:

:tresbon::banana::beerchug:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Geoff Bourquin
11-01-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't care for the new look at AK, but I am finding as I get older I don't care for any change that happens just for the sake of change. I wonder if anyone else among us feels the same.......nah. It's just me. On the other hand, I may learn to like the new look in time.

Electronic M
11-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't care for the new look at AK, but I am finding as I get older I don't care for any change that happens just for the sake of change. I wonder if anyone else among us feels the same.......nah. It's just me. On the other hand, I may learn to like the new look in time.

Even change that appears to be for the sake of change isn't always....In computer related dealings things get old fast....Un-patchable security holes are found, much more efficient ways of doing things are found, other platforms become so much more advanced that new products don't bother to support an old one, etc. Some of it can be seen customer/user side, but some of it can't.

It is sort of like an older fleet of taxis. If the interiors or bodywork are going to hell the customer will celebrate replacement, but if that was fine and instead the frames were rusting out and or the drive-trains were needing more work than the vehicles were worth then the customers may miss the old ones and complain of their replacement.

Findm-Keepm
11-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Even change that appears to be for the sake of change isn't always....In computer related dealings things get old fast....Un-patchable security holes are found, much more efficient ways of doing things are found, other platforms become so much more advanced that new products don't bother to support an old one, etc. Some of it can be seen customer/user side, but some of it can't.

It is sort of like an older fleet of taxis. If the interiors or bodywork are going to hell the customer will celebrate replacement, but if that was fine and instead the frames were rusting out and or the drive-trains were needing more work than the vehicles were worth then the customers may miss the old ones and complain of their replacement.

I just wonder if the VBulletin database had become too large - AK was the largest forum I've seen run with VBulletin. Most forums that large do use other software. I'm no expert, but when a SQL database gets huge, it can be slow, hard to backup, and even harder to add features/fields.

I'm mostly an Access fellow myself, having hacked an Access 2.0 database to add fields and queries - way back in 1993. Too bad it's losing favor...

Kamakiri
11-02-2015, 01:23 PM

No, I think everyone here can relate...including myself. I mean after all, look at the old crappy TVs we still watch :D

Jon A.
11-02-2015, 03:03 PM
No, I think everyone here can relate...including myself. I mean after all, look at the old crappy TVs we still watch :D
It's better to use old crappy TVs than shell out dough for new and even more crappy TVs. :thmbsp:

ChrisW6ATV
11-06-2015, 08:59 PM
The one big feature I would like to see on Videokarma, which some other forums do have, is a memory/cookie feature where topics and sub-forums do not all get marked "read" once you visit any part of the site. There are forums where I do not check certain sections for weeks or more, and they all stay "unread" until I tag them. That is a great feature. By comparison, once I visit Videokarma, I better plan on checking every section I like in a continuous stream, because they will all be marked as "read" soon after I leave the site (or even linger on one page too long). The only "fix" for this is to keep notes of when I last visited the site and each section. I actually come to VK less often for this reason, even though I love the site.

Dude111
11-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Wardsweb is not yet finished with the conversion, and is working on images, nowStill its not as good... THIS IS MUCH BETTER!!!!!!! (Nicer looking,faster,etc)

WHY DO THINGS ALWAYS GET WORSE????????

Im not gonna say too much cause I dont wanna make you mad luvvinvinyl... I mean you guys didnt goto that VB5 garbage which Im thankful for more than you know!! (At least I can still enjoy audiokarma)

I didnt know if you guys would listen to me and Im more than grateful you did!! (So I dunno if I should really complain about anything)

Kawooa
11-30-2015, 04:09 PM
I enjoy no change. Having to always learn new things when they are the same internally or operationally but just different looks is stupid. Yes I know the world needs to advance forwards to better technology but come on. Does it always have to go through stupid os's like windows 8/10? What was so wrong with 7? I like to sit happy with no or minimal change. I like using old outdated things. I think if I'm listening to the radio I would enjoy it more on a 30 or 60 year old set then a brand new china spawn. Change is good sometimes. I just don't always like it. I think old crt tv's are way way way cooler then any new flat panal hdtv or uhdtv?(that 4k stuff, cool looking but not as cool as STANDARD DEFINITION!) :yes:

Dude111
11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
I agree.... I love SD!! (Always have)