View Full Version : Late model Sony Trinitron Spotted outside a Goodwill dropbox...

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Hello Everyone Today I was at the local supermarket visiting my bank's atm to make a deposit which also happens to have a Goodwill Dropbox outside of it (the supermarket not the atm) and outside the Goodwill dropbox I see a mid to late 1990s Sony Trinitron TV set (about a 19" set) sitting outside the dropbox (which not only is it a bad thing to leave stuff outside of the dropbox but since they don't take tvs anymore its a double whammy there).

Anyways I was wondering if since Goodwill doesn't even take TVs anymore if it would be OK for me to pick up the TV and take it home with me?
That way it would save the TV from going to the landfill or wherever Goodwill takes their TVs that people Donate through their dropboxes that they aren't willing to take anymore.

Arcanine
10-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Hello Everyone Today I was at the local supermarket visiting my bank's atm to make a deposit which also happens to have a Goodwill Dropbox outside of it (the supermarket not the atm) and outside the Goodwill dropbox I see a mid to late 1990s Sony Trinitron TV set (about a 19" set) sitting outside the dropbox (which not only is it a bad thing to leave stuff outside of the dropbox but since they don't take tvs anymore its a double whammy there).

Anyways I was wondering if since Goodwill doesn't even take TVs anymore if it would be OK for me to pick up the TV and take it home with me?
That way it would save the TV from going to the landfill or wherever Goodwill takes their TVs that people Donate through their dropboxes that they aren't willing to take anymore.

They'll just recycle it. Take it. They won't resell it.

Eric H
10-26-2015, 06:50 PM
The Goodwill here does sell some CRT sets, technically you would be stealing it no matter what Goodwill would ultimately do with it so bear in mind you could get arrested for taking it.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
The Goodwill here does sell some CRT sets, technically you would be stealing it no matter what Goodwill would ultimately do with it so bear in mind you could get arrested for taking it.

I kind of doubt it seeing as NONE of the Goodwills my area sell or take TVs anymore period, they don't take CRT sets or LCD sets, I know this for a fact because I tried to take an old rear projection TV to them to see if they would recycle it and they refused it. So I'm going to guess that its not going to be considered stealing it if its something that they don't even want to begin with.

snelson903
10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
take it ,they wont care . only thing you have to watch out for is some person see you do it, and call in thinking he is a crime fighter . even if there a sign on the drop box stating no tv's.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
take it ,they wont care . only thing you have to watch out for is some person see you do it, and call in thinking he is a crime fighter . even if there a sign on the drop box stating no tv's.

That's what I've figured, I'll probably go back over there when the store is closed when there's no one around (probably around 10:30 or so tonight and pick it up) because it would make a good TV for my vintage Video games because of it being a Trinitron and plus it has a nice Jack Pack on the back.

Jon A.
10-26-2015, 09:19 PM
They'd probably be surprised someone took it whole rather than leaving it in pieces minus the yoke and mains cord.

Sandy G
10-26-2015, 09:22 PM
They'd probably be surprised someone took it whole rather than leaving it in pieces minus the yoke and mains cord.

Yeah, that would be MY thought, as well.

MRX37
10-26-2015, 09:33 PM
If you grab that Trinitron, be aware that it's going to be HEAVY! You're gonna have a *FUN* time dragging that sonofabitch home.

And ever after you muscle it into place, then soak in the tub for an hour to relieve your aching muscles, you may discover a couple horizontal lines in the screen. This is normal for Trinitrons. It's part of the aperture grille design they use.

BTW that aperture grille design is what makes the bastard so heavy.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Well I'll take the thing whole because if it works, I'd be saving the set from an untimely fate that the TV doesn't deserve.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 09:38 PM
If you grab that Trinitron, be aware that it's going to be HEAVY! You're gonna have a *FUN* time dragging that sonofabitch home.

And ever after you muscle it into place, then soak in the tub for an hour to relieve your aching muscles, you may discover a couple horizontal lines in the screen. This is normal for Trinitrons. It's part of the aperture grille design they use.

BTW that aperture grille design is what makes the bastard so heavy.

Well Its a 19" set so it shouldn't be too bad weight wise, at least not compared to the 25" and bigger sets, I was once given a 25" Sony Trinitron set to monkey around with when I was younger (the color went out on it for some reason and wasn't able to get it going so I had to throw it out) and that sucker WAS heavy. I would imagine a 19" set would be much lighter than a 25" set or even a 32" set.

MRX37
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
True... I stopped lugging home Trinitrons a long time ago. Let me tall you the tale of the 32" trinitron I lugged home...

By myself.

I pulled my truck up as close as I could to it, and sort of "walked" it to the tailgate, which I lowered beforehand. Using all my strength I lifted that sonofabitch up about 6 inches...

Nope that wasn't happening.

I squatted down and lifted it using both my knees and back and had just enough strength to set it on the tailgate. I got it secured, then, panting and sweating I made the drive back home.

Then I had to get it into the house... This meant getting it up steps.

A hand truck helped, but getting it up the steps was a slow, exhausting process. Once I got it into the living room, I was done for the night. I took a hot bath and didn't move much for the rest of the night. I was too tired to even plug the damn thing in.

It had some power supply issue or something, which meant I'd need to put it on a bench to fix it. Nope that wasn't happening. I took what i wanted from it, it sat in the middle of my living room for a week until trash day, then I wrestled the sonofabitch out to the curb.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
True... I stopped lugging home Trinitrons a long time ago. Let me tall you the tale of the 32" trinitron I lugged home...

By myself.

I pulled my truck up as close as I could to it, and sort of "walked" it to the tailgate, which I lowered beforehand. Using all my strength I lifted that sonofabitch up about 6 inches...

Nope that wasn't happening.

I squatted down and lifted it using both my knees and back and had just enough strength to set it on the tailgate. I got it secured, then, panting and sweating I made the drive back home.

Then I had to get it into the house... This meant getting it up steps.

A hand truck helped, but getting it up the steps was a slow, exhausting process. Once I got it into the living room, I was done for the night. I took a hot bath and didn't move much for the rest of the night. I was too tired to even plug the damn thing in.

It had some power supply issue or something, which meant I'd need to put it on a bench to fix it. Nope that wasn't happening. I took what i wanted from it, it sat in the middle of my living room for a week until trash day, then I wrestled the sonofabitch out to the curb.

Wow! That's quite a story indeed! :yikes: Thankfully I don't have any steps in my house except to get to the basement, Which is where the TV is going for my video games, but like i said thankfully its only a 19" set so it should be a little lighter weight than its bigger brethren that I often see set out to the curb or sometimes see at the Salvation Army thrifts (which SA still takes TVs yet surprisingly enough, just haven't seen any interesting models there recently except for a 9" Zenith Cube TV from 1986 that I paid $5 for and it still works perfectly yet).

MRX37
10-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Then there's the time I found a 36" trinitron.

I made a cursory attempt to lift it, then said "fuck it" and drove away.

Going back to that 32" one, part of the problem I had with it was not so much that it was heavy. I mean it was, it easily weighed as much as a full grown man. However it didn't have carrying handles which meant I used more strength trying to keep a good grip on it then actually lifting it.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Then there's the time I found a 36" trinitron.

I made a cursory attempt to lift it, then said "fuck it" and drove away.

Going back to that 32" one, part of the problem I had with it was not so much that it was heavy. I mean it was, it easily weighed as much as a full grown man. However it didn't have carrying handles which meant I used more strength trying to keep a good grip on it then actually lifting it.

Well I picked it up without getting caught (there was a cleaning truck going around cleaning the parking lot which kind of surprised me, but I'm thinking he was more concerned about driving the truck around than watching whether or not someone was taking stuff from the drop box, and then there was someone dropping off recycling at the recycling center that was next to the dropbox but they were parked far enough down that I don't think they saw me. anyways you were right that TV was a heavy sucker even for a 19", when I got it home I just left it in the back of my car and just figured I would have a friend of mine help me carry it in tomorrow morning.

MRX37
10-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Common Craigslist ad:

FREE Sony Trinitron!

You must move it out of the basement. Owner cannot help you move it due to a back/heart condition.

WISCOJIM
10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
I responded in your other thread, but I'll repeat part of it here.

Taking that TV, no matter how you try to justify it, is still theft.

It's not yours, it was not given to you by the donor, leave it alone.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 11:03 PM
I responded in your other thread, but I'll repeat part of it here.

Taking that TV, no matter how you try to justify it, is still theft.

It's not yours, it was not given to you by the donor, leave it alone.

And again, I'm going to explain it to you, It can't be donated because goodwill stopped accepting TVs of any type earlier this year! If you don't believe me, try taking one of your TVs to the local good will to donate, and you'll get turned down right on the spot! So actually that TV belongs to no one, it doesn't belong to goodwill and it doesn't belong to the previous owner! Its just trash. And just like what you and others on here like to do, I was picking through "trash" and saving something that was still usable yet.

Again, when you use your line of reasoning, how can you justify digging through people's trash for TVs and VCRs or old Stereo Equipment to take home with you to fix up, when technically in some states picking through other people's garbage is illegal when you're caught, but of course we all know that its not enforceable so people do it anyways! So I think you're being the proberbial pot that called the kettle black!

radiotvnut
10-26-2015, 11:06 PM
Personally, I would have probably left that set there. I know how funny some of these thrift stores can be and even though they may dumpster it or recycle it, they won't give you permission to take it. If I were to take something like that, it would be my luck that I'd get caught on camera or someone would see me. Fortunately, BPC TV's are not hard to find and if I wanted one, it wouldn't take long to find one that would be less likely to get me in trouble.

If the set was sitting on the curb for the garbage truck, I'd consider it fair game and the only way I wouldn't take it would be if the owner came out and told me not to. Over the years, I've found that most people are all too happy for you to haul off their junk.

Concerning heavy Sony's. Several years ago, someone gave me a silver 36" WEGA HD Trinitron and it was all me and my friend could do to load it. We managed to get it into my basement and I discovered that it had an intermittent power supply problem. My plan was to fix it and make a dollar off of it; but, I never managed to make enough space in my shop and I couldn't lift it up on my bench by myself. So, it sat on my basement floor until a few months ago. During a cleanout, I decided that I couldn't give the thing away if my life depended on it; so, I managed to get it to the curb on my handtruck and the garbage truck too care of the rest. I hated to trash that set because it was a very expensive model when it came out; but, like I said, I'd have a hard time giving it away today and I didn't feel like wrestling that beast and not get anything in return for it.

Arcanine
10-26-2015, 11:09 PM
I don't agree.

There are a few donation bins here in my town down here. I see TVs end up by them frequently. I've never taken one from it mind you because I have not yet seen a vintage set.

They always end up behind the fire department in the eWaste pile, which I've taken a set or two from.

I stopped and asked the people who pick the stuff up if they think it's "stealing" taking a TV set next to the bin, and I was told "No. It saves us work. We have to lug them to an eWaste station. We don't take them"

I am also on friendly terms with several thrift stores in my area, one of them said if I ever see a TV out back at the drop off, feel free to take them if I want.

If anything, dumping a TV next to one of these bins is littering. Some poor schmo has to lug it to a recycle pile later. It's not going to be resold for someone else to enjoy, it's going to be recycled as waste.

You can't sit there and tell me, if you drove past one of those donation bins, and a CTC5, or ANY color roundy was sitting next to it, that you'd not make that set teleport in to the back of your car.

TUD1
10-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Excellent choice on saving it. I would gladly lug a Trinitron into my house over one of those stupid flat-panel abominations.

Arcanine
10-26-2015, 11:18 PM
And on the "Heavy Sony" front...

I have a 36" WEGA Trinitron living in my closet, on a rack with my Laser Disc player, PS2, DreamCast, and Nintendo64 all hooked too.

I found the set while I was out driving one day. It was sitting at the end of someones driveway with the original remote taped to the top. I remember when they were brand new back in 2002-2004 era and that they were very expensive TV sets. The guy was in the garage so I waked up and asked, they replaced it with an HDTV, and it was only ever a bedroom set. He helped me load it in my truck.

When I got it home, I carried it 25 feet on my own, and I got a hernia from it. Only positive thing I took from it, the set is insanely low hours. It was only a bedroom TV and rarely watched for long, and it works perfectly with zero issues. I'm watching Star Wars on it as I type this. It's my movie watcher and retro gaming set. I plan to hold on to it, even if it'll break me in half to move it again.

Olorin67
10-26-2015, 11:28 PM
If nothing else, you could call their number, and ask. if they don't take TVs they will appreciate not having to deal with it. I got a Sony Wega 32" HD set at Goodwill for $10, just before they stopped accepting Tvs, not many people wanted them, but it was a good upgrade from my 24" Wega (free if anyone wants it! ) had a hard time moving it with 2 people, I cant imagine moving the 36" version by myself!

MRX37
10-26-2015, 11:28 PM
I'm lucky. No hernia for me. The following morning I felt like I was 90 years old, and I was sore for a few days but that was the worst of it.

Just pray that 36" doesn't fail on you any time soon, requiring you to move it in order to work on it.

Captainclock
10-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Well either way I did pick up that trinitron, and no I didn't get caught and no none of the goodwill dropboxes have cameras in my area unless its one that's at the Goodwill store itself, but in that case they usually keep the dropboxes locked during the day while the store's open and encourage people to use the drive-up donation area. The one I found the trinitron tv in was a remotely located dropbox that was located in a store parking lot and I nabbed it when there wasn't anyone around to see me do it, which was after the store closed at 10 pm this evening.

And yes Arcanine I understand where you're coming from but I figured it was worth the risk to save this TV considering that the Sony Trinitrons are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape anymore, because i know in my area at least most of the CRT sets old and new ended up either in the landfill or recycled once the DTV transistion took place in 2009 and usually if people kept any CRT sets around their house it was usually a 19" or smaller set that they kept around for the kids to use for their video games and that was it.

Anyways like I said the way goodwill works is that anything in the dropbox is considered theirs and anything outside of their dropbox is considered "trash" because it falls under their "no dumping policy" and because of that usually anything that's dumped outside of their dropbox they usually don't sell that in the store and usually trash it, because that's their policy, at least that's the way their policy is where I live.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 12:37 AM
If nothing else, you could call their number, and ask. if they don't take TVs they will appreciate not having to deal with it. I got a Sony Wega 32" HD set at Goodwill for $10, just before they stopped accepting Tvs, not many people wanted them, but it was a good upgrade from my 24" Wega (free if anyone wants it! ) had a hard time moving it with 2 people, I cant imagine moving the 36" version by myself!

I might drop by one of the stores and ask them about their TV Policy and if they say they are absolutely not taking TVs whatsoever then I'll ask them the hypothetical question of "what if I saw a TV sitting outside of one of your donation bins, would it be ok if I took it with me since you guys aren't taking TVs anymore so that the TV could get some more use out of it and so you guys wouldn't have to deal with it?"

Arcanine
10-27-2015, 12:41 AM
I might drop by one of the stores and ask them about their TV Policy and if they say they are absolutely not taking TVs whatsoever then I'll ask them the hypothetical question of "what if I saw a TV sitting outside of one of your donation bins, would it be ok if I took it with me since you guys aren't taking TVs anymore so that the TV could get some more use out of it and so you guys wouldn't have to deal with it?"

I'd not sweat it. Goodwill managers are schmucks. I can't stand asking them anything; Talk about talking to an air head. They'll probably spout some flack about liability, or recycling for the good of the community, stuff no one even cares about hearing.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 01:08 AM
I'd not sweat it. Goodwill managers are schmucks. I can't stand asking them anything; Talk about talking to an air head. They'll probably spout some flack about liability, or recycling for the good of the community, stuff no one even cares about hearing.

That's kind of interesting you say that, because I even tried to send an old TV to them to recycle it once (it was a 50" Mitsubishi Rear Projection TV that the convergence circuit went bad on it and I tried fixing it but I ended up losing some surface mount capacitors off the board when I was in the middle of replacing the convergence chip) and they said they didn't recycle TVs anymore... :scratch2:

snelson903
10-27-2015, 02:54 AM
i found the salvation army donation store in south bend on Ireland road ,there not afraid to sell crt tv's and electronics that donated . if the lady in the back were they check in everything is still there ,talk to her . i bought stuff that was home made electronic projects someone donate, she sells as [ unknown and as is ] cheap ,and old test equipment . i havent been there in a year or so but its worth a look if your in Elkhart your not to far .

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 03:19 AM
i found the salvation army donation store in south bend on Ireland road ,there not afraid to sell crt tv's and electronics that donated . if the lady in the back were they check in everything is still there ,talk to her . i bought stuff that was home made electronic projects someone donate, she sells as [ unknown and as is ] cheap ,and old test equipment . i havent been there in a year or so but its worth a look if your in Elkhart your not to far .

I'll have to have a look there sometime, because I know for sure that the Salvation Army store here in Elkhart certainly hasn't had anything in the way of vintage electronics in at least 3 months, in fact they've had the same stock on there housewares shelves for the past month and a half so far and its mostly stuff you couldn't give away at yard sales type stuff. :sigh: And ever since the Giant Salvation Army store that was in Goshen closed its doors nearly 2 years ago the only Salvation Army Store in Elkhart County is the one in Elkhart and its barely the size of a Wal-Greens and very poorly organized, maintained and stocked, whereas the one that used to be in Goshen was a huge mega center compared to the one in Elkhart and they always had something interesting in there electronics wise.
Like I said I'll definitely give the one in South Bend a look sometime and see if I can find something interesting in there. :yes: :thmbsp:

Jon A.
10-27-2015, 09:29 AM
When I picked up my 1976 Electrohome, the seller tried to talk me into buying a 32" Trinitron CONSOLE. Imagine trying to wrestle with that thing, even with a hand truck. The curved staircase coming from around the back of the house made it difficult to get the 25" Electrohome out of there.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
When I picked up my 1976 Electrohome, the seller tried to talk me into buying a 32" Trinitron CONSOLE. Imagine trying to wrestle with that thing, even with a hand truck. The curved staircase coming from around the back of the house made it difficult to get the 25" Electrohome out of there.

Interestingly enough my aunt and uncle had at their house in Culver, Indiana (the town which is famouse the world over for Culver Military Academy), had an old Sony Trinitron Console TV in their Basement, and as far as I know they just left it there instead of Moving it with them to their home in Bloomington, Indiana (the city that's known the world over for Indiana University which has a famous music school and art school) and as far as I know the TV still works and it had a really nifty feature which was that the remote would hide-away inside the front of the TV's cabinet.

etype2
10-27-2015, 09:43 AM
The fact that you mentioned that you would take it at 10:30 at night when no one was around and that "you didn't get caught", tells me you knew it wasn't right.

If you come on my property and take something from my yard without my permission, that's theft pure and simple.

You can justify taking the set with all you said, but the best thing would have been to ask permission first.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
The fact that you mentioned that you would take it at 10:30 at night when no one was around and that "you didn't get caught", tells me you knew it wasn't right.

If you come on my property and take something from my yard without my permission, that's theft pure and simple.

You can justify taking the set with all you said, but the best thing would have been to ask permission first.

I had to say that because obviously there's more than likely going to be some folks out there that aren't going to realize that Goodwill isn't taking TVs anymore (as demonstated by the fact that someone had dumped the TV outside of the Goodwill dropbox thinking that Goodwill still took TVs yet) and that there could of been that one person out there that might of seen me taking the TV and called the police not knowing that the Goodwill wasn't taking TVs anymore and that I was trying to do Goodwill a favor by taking that TV so that they didn't have to deal with it themselves.

Jon A.
10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Yep, As I was trying to explain it had nothing to do with wanting to steal the TV, I was just wanting to give that TV another chance at life considering that it wouldn't of seen another chance at life in the hands of Goodwill.

etype2
10-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Why didn't you ask permission first?

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Why didn't you ask permission first?

I know what you're doing so you can just drop it ok! You don't need to be trying to start arguments with me.

dieseljeep
10-27-2015, 10:55 AM
I have a Sony hernia as well.
One of my usual haunts, is the SVDP store.
Someone dropped off some cheap hollow core flush doors. The narrow ones, I use as shelves. They're strong enough to hold my TV and other electronics, collection, plus they're a lot cheaper than plywood or OSB. Buck a piece, basically a donation!
They don't take TV sets anymore, either. Someone dropped off a 36" Toshiba, after hours. They asked me, if I wanted to buy it. I replied, I don't buy anything, I can't lift myself. :no:

zeno
10-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Interesting moral dilemma. A few thoughts...

Anything outside the box is probably NOT Good Wills
property. Probably technically litter or hazardous waste in the
case of a TV. Also its illegal dumping.
Our Good Will & other boxes say " do not put items outside
of box", that says they did NOT accept them.
At my old dump ANYTHING outside the box was fair picking
game per the GW, town workers & the PD. At the end of the
day if full a loader picked up all the stuff outside & took it
away to the transfer area to be burned.
So IMHO a favor was done for GW & the property owner.
So maybe do this. Since you benefited from the TV next time
you are in GW drop them a $5 cash donation. Win-win for all.

Last thing is a police interaction. Good chance BEFORE you state
your case you will be shaken down. Then have to ID yourself.
go with the flow ! After that you will just be warned away.
If the cop is cool ( an older cop) about it he may leave &
tell you he wont see you take it.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Electronic M
10-27-2015, 01:06 PM
I have a Sony hernia as well.
One of my usual haunts, is the SVDP store.
Someone dropped off some cheap hollow core flush doors. The narrow ones, I use as shelves. They're strong enough to hold my TV and other electronics, collection, plus they're a lot cheaper than plywood or OSB. Buck a piece, basically a donation!
They don't take TV sets anymore, either. Someone dropped off a 36" Toshiba, after hours. They asked me, if I wanted to buy it. I replied, I don't buy anything, I can't lift myself. :no:

the SVDP in Oconomowoc still takes and sells TVs, and perhaps the Waukesha store too.

dieseljeep
10-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Yep, As I was trying to explain it had nothing to do with wanting to steal the TV, I was just wanting to give that TV another chance at life considering that it wouldn't of seen another chance at life in the hands of Goodwill.

The owners of the location, where the drop box is located, generally stipulate that nothing be left outside the box. The space is donated and the owner doesn't want their place to look like a dumping ground.
Lucky thing for the owner, that the set was taken whole, instead of being smashed up for the copper content by the bottom-feeders. :thmbsp:

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 01:59 PM

That was my thoughts exactly, it was sitting outside the box which means it was dumped which as per goodwill policy, dumping is against their policy (there's signs outside of their boxes that even warn that you could get fined for dumping outside of their boxes but people still do it anyways, go figure) and I was just thinking that I was more or less just doing goodwill a favor by hauling off the TV so they didn't have to do it themselves since the goodwill stores around where I live don't even take TVs anymore as per the company policy now. Plus I was giving the TV a chance at a new life elsewhere which it wouldn't of gotten otherwise.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 02:03 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing, probably just give them a donation of some sort, and maybe tell them it was for hauling off a TV for them that was dumped off in front of one of their donation bins which as we know is considered illegal dumping.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Well I managed to get the TV hauled inside with a little manhandling and some creative thinking skills, I first brought out an old wheeled cooler and set the TV ontop of that and used that to get the TV inside the house and then I manhandled the TV up the 3 steps into the hallway in front of the staircase going into the basement and then I took and carefully slid the TV down the steps into the basement and then set it up ontop of an old Console radio cabinet that I made into a TV Stand (because the radio was shot in it so I recycled the guts in it to free up some space in the basement) and hooked up my SNES up to it and turned it on and at first the picture was extremely fuzzy and I couldn't figure out why (I was using the RF Modulator built into the SNES for the video signal) but then I went and jiggled the RF Modulator cable a little bit and the picture cleared up (which means that my RF Modulator connector is got a screwy ground connection somewhere) and the TV has excellent picture yet, in fact it looks like it might be a low hours set perhaps a bedroom set maybe. The only issues I see wrong with it is that theres a huge chunk chipped out of the front of the TV Cabinet below the picture tube area where the front foot is, and the door for the front AV jacks is missing, and it doesn't have its original remote but really for what it is and considering what I'm going to be using it for those issues are pretty minor considering that the TV still works flawlessly. I have some pictures/screenshots of the TV in action and to be honest the camera doesn't do the TV proper justice as far as how good it looks picture wise. Also I was looking at the the label on the back and apparently according to the label on the back its actually a 27" set and not a 19" set like I thought it was (which would explain why it was as heavy as it was) and the TV was from 2000 which would be from just before they discontinued the Trinitrons and replaced them with the WEGA TVs.

MRX37
10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Looks like it's got a good picture.

and I bet that TV weighs ~120 pounds easy.

Jon A.
10-27-2015, 04:00 PM
I once team-lifted a 32" flat CRT Trinitron with one other fellow and even found that very difficult.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Well I can clear the air about this TV once and for all! I went to the local Goodwill store today (and while I was there I saw a lot of electronic goodies there for once including a Zenith DTV Converter box that was brand new in its original box never opened for $15, I also saw a DVD/VCR Combo unit which was an early one that had the NTSC Tuner built into it for recording over the air, I also saw 2 first Generation DVD players, a DVD Hometheather in a box unit minus the original speakers, a Sony Prosumer grade 4-Head HiFi VCR that had the VCR Plus+ cable box controller system built in and shuttle jog and some other stuff (I only had $14 to spend on me) so I ended up getting an old 1960s vintage Timex Electric alarm clock for 99 cents and after I went up to pay for the alarm clock I told the woman at the counter that I wanted to make a $5 donation to them which she acted kind of surprised about that, almost as if she never gets people offering donations to them very often, and then I explained to her why I was giving the donation to which she replied "Oh don't worry about it, the TV would of more than likely been thrown out anyways since we don't take TVs anymore and don't put them out on the floor anymore, but if we would of been still putting TVs out on the floor then that would of been another story, but since we don't sell them or take them anymore you're fine". To which I had explained to her that if they would of still been selling and taking TVs yet I wouldn't of taken it but since I knew you guys weren't taking tvs anymore I kind of figured you guys wouldn't of minded if I would of hauled off the TV for you.
So There you have it, from goodwill themselves, its ok to take a CRT TV from the Donation bin area if there's one that was dumped out in front of the donation bin area, you don't even have to give them a donation for it.

rca2000
10-27-2015, 05:23 PM
I do NOT....expect your answer will satisfy EVERYONE here....

SOME PEOPLE---have the attitude of--If I do not want it--I do not want YOU to have it either...been there...DONE THAT !!

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 05:36 PM
I do NOT....expect your answer will satisfy EVERYONE here....

SOME PEOPLE---have the attitude of--If I do not want it--I do not want YOU to have it either...been there...DONE THAT !!

Well At least I know for my ownself and for others on here that have been wondering about this issue, that my answer is satisfactory, and for the people who don't think my answer is satisfactory for them, then that's fine they don't have to take old TVs from Goodwill dropboxes, and its not like I was asking them to do so or anything, I was just asking people on here their opinions as to whether or not they would of taken the chance of nabbing a perfectly good CRT Set frem a Goodwill dropbox area if they saw one out there with the knowledge that Goodwill no longer takes TVs anmore and because of that the TV would of just ended up in a recyling heap or in the landfill if it wasn't nabbed to which the majority of the people who replied in this thread was with me as far as saying that they didn't see anything wrong with nabbing a TV from outside of a Goodwill dropbox and in fact some of them were even curious to find out if they could do it and not get into trouble because they had seen vintage TV sets sitting outside of goodwill dropboxes before but weren't sure if it was ok to nab it or not. So like I said for those of you who still think I stole that TV even after I asked someone at Goodwill in person to which they said it wasn't, then that's fine, that's your opinion and you have the right to it, and like i said you don't have to go to a goodwill dropbox to scout vintage TVs if you don't want to if you feel like its truly that bad to do so, but as for me and some of the other people on here who think that its fine, just don't give us grief about it ok?

rca2000
10-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Captain....you and me BOTH KNOW---that if it was a tv they wanted, such as a roundie, Hi-fi amp, or something similar. sitting by a "drop box", ..they KNOW would NOT be getting sold... would NOT " do as they tell others"...

Sandy G
10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Yeah... You GOTTA wonder, if I COMPLETELY lost my Marbles, & toted my Porthole Zenith into a Badwill, set it up, turned it on, & wonder HOW they would "Dispose" of it ?!? You gotta think that SOMEBODY there would have a LICK of sense, & know enuf NOT to just shit-can it like any other old TV..

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Well that's the thing Goodwill still sells Hifi Equipment or stereo equipment in general so that would be a no brainer that I wouldn't be taking that from a goodwill dropbox even if it was just sitting outside of it. But Goodwill said that they don't take TVs anymore not even antique ones so if someone did lose their marbles or was stupid enough to donate an old 1940s vintage Porthole TV set to the goodwill dropbox and set it outside of it (the kind of people I'm thinking of that would do this would be some younger people who didn't know what they had and were cleaning out their grandparents estate after they passed away or were moved into a nursing home) Goodwill if they saw a TV like that outside of their dropboxes would more than likely not know that it was a valuable piece of history and would just see it as an old obsolete and unusable CRT TV and would just junk it without a second thought, they wouldn't even try to sell it online more than likely because it would be too much of a liability for them to do so. Which is why if you do see a TV like that sitting outside of a goodwill dropbox I would just pick it up and take it home, because as I stated earlier goodwill isn't going to care otherwise and its going to save a vintage TV from being scrapped. So to me nabbing an old TV from outside of a Goodwill dropbox is a no brainer. Now like I said if it was a vintage piece of stereo or hi-fi equipment or even a vintage VCR or VTR then Its a no brainer that you wouldn't take those from the goodwill bin area, even if its outside of the bins because those are items that they still sell in shop yet so those are off limits, but TV sets are free game.

Sandy G
10-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Well, HOPEFULLY, when the time comes for me-Or WHOMEVER- to dispose of my collection of radios & TVs, my descendants will have a BETTER idea than to just pile 'em all up on the sidewalk for the city trash guys to pick up.. I HOPE they will remember AK & VK, & maybe some of youse Byrds will end up w/at least PART of 'em..

rca2000
10-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Same here....but i do NOT expect they will CARE....since my family does NOT like the stuff I have now !!!!

rca2000
10-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Well that's the thing Goodwill still sells Hifi Equipment or stereo equipment in general so that would be a no brainer that I wouldn't be taking that from a goodwill dropbox even if it was just sitting outside of it. But Goodwill said that they don't take TVs anymore not even antique ones so if someone did lose their marbles or was stupid enough to donate an old 1940s vintage Porthole TV set to the goodwill dropbox and set it outside of it (the kind of people I'm thinking of that would do this would be some younger people who didn't know what they had and were cleaning out their grandparents estate after they passed away or were moved into a nursing home) Goodwill if they saw a TV like that outside of their dropboxes would more than likely not know that it was a valuable piece of history and would just see it as an old obsolete and unusable CRT TV and would just junk it without a second thought, they wouldn't even try to sell it online more than likely because it would be too much of a liability for them to do so. Which is why if you do see a TV like that sitting outside of a goodwill dropbox I would just pick it up and take it home, because as I stated earlier goodwill isn't going to care otherwise and its going to save a vintage TV from being scrapped. So to me nabbing an old TV from outside of a Goodwill dropbox is a no brainer. Now like I said if it was a vintage piece of stereo or hi-fi equipment or even a vintage VCR or VTR then Its a no brainer that you wouldn't take those from the goodwill bin area, even if its outside of the bins because those are items that they still sell in shop yet so those are off limits, but TV sets are free game.

NOT_-Accd. to some here...if the cord is messed up, or broken tubes or such---they do NOT sell them....and trash them and will NOT let ANYONE take them--due to "liability". In such a CASE---since they would NOT really want it...it would NOT be theft...IMHO.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 08:31 PM
NOT_-Accd. to some here...if the cord is messed up, or broken tubes or such---they do NOT sell them....and trash them and will NOT let ANYONE take them--due to "liability". In such a CASE---since they would NOT really want it...it would NOT be theft...IMHO.

Well its interesting that you say that because my old Magnavox Console I have in my basement which is a tube powered unit with a Single-Ended 6BQ5 Stereo Amplifier in it was bought from inside the local Goodwill and it was even missing all of the amplifier tubes in it when I got it and the cord would be what one would consider a "liability" type cord because of it being an old style rubber cord that even though its intact and not crumbling someone if they didn't look carefully enough at the cord could of easily just chucked the unit because of just the looks of the cord alone and the fact that it was missing vacuum tubes in the amplifier, but apparently they thought they could get something out of it because they did put the thing on the floor for $10 (which I ended up getting it for $6 and some change with half off because I donated a dollar to them. So with that in mind Goodwill will sell ANYTHING electronic no matter the cosmetic shape or they think they can get some money out of it, which is why anything except tvs are off limits to me. There was even one time that I saw a 1930s Truetone Console radio for sale in the local goodwill store for $100 and the cabinet was in horrible shape (it looked like it was in someone's damp basement for 40+ years) and the power cord was roached on it with exposed wires and it was missing tubes and knobs and preset pushbuttons and the speaker grill cloth and speaker was roached and everything and they still had it on the floor for $100 which is like I said the reason why I wouldn't take any antique/vintage high-fidelity equipment and other electronic equipment vintage or not because despite what you might think goodwill does put antique electronics on the floor sometimes whether its roached or not, which I would of been like you and thought the same thing as far as Goodwill not taking roached out electronic equipment but then when I saw the old Magnavox console that I ended up buying from them and then later on saw the aforementioned 1930s Truetone Console that was roached out like crazy on their floor for sale for $100 that's when I realized that Goodwill will sell just about anything they think they can make a buck off of even if its a roached out piece of 1930's electronic equipment.

Jon A.
10-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Fully agreed.

The Salvation Army closest to me still puts a few TVs out on the floor. Last I heard they don't take sets beyond a certain age, at least if donors call about them first. I have seen older TVs go straight to the recycling cage. I think the only reason my 1978 XL-100 survived is because they knew I'd want it. As I recall it was priced at 3 bucks. Of all my sets, that one's been with me the longest.

snelson903
10-27-2015, 09:56 PM
i here you Sandy ,i always told my wife after i depart to check out first before you throw away anything of mine what its worth .especially tools and dont sell it for pennys either.

Captainclock
10-27-2015, 10:11 PM
I would take an old tube radio if I were to see one at the dropbox sitting outside of it especially if it had a dry rotted cord or was missing tubes or had broken tubes in it but then again I would wonder if it would be something that they would of still been able to put on the floor and sell even if it was in poor condition (again going back to my 1930s truetone console radio example from earlier that they had for sale on the floor for $100 and it actually sold apparently because I went back there the next day and saw that it was gone) I've also seen them put 1930s vintage 6-way floor lamps on the floor for sale that were in really poor condition (dry-rotted cord and missing the diffuser globe etc.) and I tried to buy some of those old 1930s 6-way floor lamps from them but they had them priced at over $30-$50 which is way more than I'm willing to pay for a lamp like that, especially when I have to completely rewire the lamp (because most of the time the lower candelabra light sockets will still have the old cloth wiring in it that is dry-rotted by now) and I would need to hunt down a new diffuser globe and shade for the lamp which isn't easy or cheap because the old diffuser globes are extremely hard to come by these days because most of them got broken over the years, and plus most of them are made milk glass which is extremely expensive because of how valuable and collectable stuff made of milk glass is now.

Sandy G
10-27-2015, 11:13 PM
NOT meaning to "Brag"-Well, not TOO much, anyhow, I DO have a nice roster of "Boatanchors", About 3 dozen TVs, & a GINORMOUS assortment of "Civilian" radios. One of my FAVES is my little 2-tube Arvin 38, FROM 1938. Ain't no R-3XX, but its still DELIGHTFUL for what it is..

WISCOJIM
10-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Just an FYI to those that believe ALL Goodwill stores no longer accept CRT TVs: I was in the neighborhood of the local Goodwill in Appleton, Wisconsin today and stopped in to see this.

Sandy G
10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
My wife, my little "Girlfriend", her husband, & a few other folks know that I DON'T want my stuff trashed. I have told them if THAT happens, I shall come back & HAUNT them... Would YOU really want a baleful, ANGRY Ghost after YOUR Butox ? Neither do I.. BOOO !!! (grin)

rca2000
10-29-2015, 08:50 PM
Just an FYI to those that believe ALL Goodwill stores no longer accept CRT TVs: I was in the neighborhood of the local Goodwill in Appleton, Wisconsin today and stopped in to see this.

Maybe...they are 'seeing the light"..regarding all of those "reliable" flat-panels that "never break down"....ESPECIALLY those "led backlight sets" that "never break".... I know for a FACT...OTHER thrift stores have done so !!

Beachboy
10-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Goodwill's around here vary in their CRT TV policies. The stores affiliated with one part of the state won't accept any TV's, but stores affailated with the other part of the state willl accept CRT TV's, including consoles and projection sets. The Salvation Army seems to accept any CRT's, and at the local Salvation Army I was in a couple weeks ago, they not only had a Hitachi 27" highboy console, they had one of those insanely huge Sony Triniton 40" monsters! They were asking $10 for the Sony. Most the smaller sets, such as generic 13" and 19" models were priced at $1.

Jon A.
10-29-2015, 09:26 PM
My wife, my little "Girlfriend", her husband, & a few other folks know that I DON'T want my stuff trashed. I have told them if THAT happens, I shall come back & HAUNT them... Would YOU really want a baleful, ANGRY Ghost after YOUR Butox ? Neither do I.. BOOO !!! (grin)
Nah, especially not one with a machine gun.

Captainclock
10-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Well like I said those goodwill stores are apparently not following company policy then because goodwill had said that they weren't going to accept TVs anymore and that it was supposed to be a nationwide policy, so to you guys who seem to insist on raking up this issue over and over again, PLEASE DROP IT! I had already asked someone at my local goodwill if it was alright that I hauled off that TV set and they it was fine, and they said that any tv dropped off like that was going to be recycled anyways because they don't take TVs anymore period. So please stop bringing up all of this crap because it doesn't affect me because I don't live in wisconsin or kansas where apparently they like to disobey company policy because they think they can get away with it!

Captainclock
10-29-2015, 09:42 PM

http://www.amazinggoodwill.com/donating/donor-guidelines

If you follow this link it will tell you what all Goodwill can and cannot accept, and what do I find listed in the "items we do not accept" area but TVs of all kinds including CRTs, Rear Projection TVs and HDTVs! Read it for yourself, and this is on their Corporate website meaning its supposed to be nationwide and that any goodwill stores that are accepting these items and putting them on the floor are breaking company policy!! :yes:

rca2000
10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
A few years back...I had a couple of peoople want to GIVE me one of those 40 inch sony sets... I DECLINED . They ONLY weigh at LEAST 350 Lb, WITHOUT the stand--which these supposdely had , most of the ones I saw--even NEW--had purity issues and NO ONE wants to deal with them anymore--so What could I do wiht them--after I fixed them ? the garbage man will not even THINK about picking up one !!

rca2000
10-29-2015, 09:59 PM
http://www.amazinggoodwill.com/donating/donor-guidelines

If you follow this link it will tell you what all Goodwill can and cannot accept, and what do I find listed in the "items we do not accept" area but TVs of all kinds including CRTs, Rear Projection TVs and HDTVs! Read it for yourself, and this is on their Corporate website meaning its supposed to be nationwide and that any goodwill stores that are accepting these items and putting them on the floor are breaking company policy!! :yes:

Likely...they are getting "feedback" from the other thrift stores that DO sell tv sets....and so GW in those areas ALSO want a little "skin i the game".

Eric H
10-29-2015, 10:11 PM
It says they do accept Flat-panel monitor HDTVs only, so Plasma & LCD are okay.
Basically they don't want Obsolete stuff like rear projection of any type.

etype2
10-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Goodwill is a non-profit organization founded by a Methodist minister. Local Goodwill stores are "community owned" or franchised. Goodwill's policy is to prevent perfectly good items from reaching the landfill. Goodwill encourages that items that cannot be sold in stores, be creatively recycled so that funds can be generated from those items.

So, following these guidelines, individual local Goodwill store managers are most likely using descreationary options on how items are disposed of or recycled. I would expect that some store managers see value in CRT televisions.

AUdubon5425
10-30-2015, 12:37 AM
All the Goodwill stores in this region never stopped selling crt tvs. The pricing varies depending on the individual store.

Eric H
10-30-2015, 01:41 AM
They have an online auction as well, I've bought several vintage sets from there.

Seems like only the larger regional centers participate in that, there's one in Orange County out here. I went there to pick something up once and they had rows of pallets stacked high with TV's for recycling, mostly BPC but also some older Sonys and Woodgrain sets from the 70's and 80's.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 01:47 AM
ALL of the Goodwill stores in my area stopped taking TVs of any kind so for my area its a mut point so it really doesn't matter in my case, like I had previously stated several posts back I had asked an employee who worked at the local goodwill store near me if it was ok to haul off a CRT TV that was dumped outside of one of their donation boxes and they said it was fine because they weren't taking TVs anymore so like I said its a mut point right now.

I don't need people from other states where just because in your state they still supposedly take and sell tvs in them yet telling me that I can't rescue a TV from the Goodwill dropbox just because you think it might be considered stealing when in reality what Goodwill stores in your state doesn't have any affect on what Goodwill stores do in my state so in reality its none of your business what me or other members on here want to do as far as rescuing older TVs and how we want to do it! if it means scrounging for vintage tvs outside of a goodwill dropbox in an area where its known that Goodwill isn't taking TVs anymore then so be it! Like I said according to the people at the Goodwill themselves they said it was perfectly fine to take a TV from outside of a dropbox since they don't take them anymore!

So lets just drop this ok?! No need to keep to keep beating a dead horse!

WISCOJIM
10-30-2015, 01:49 AM
Many Goodwill stores also have their own ebay selling accounts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111785600186

WISCOJIM
10-30-2015, 01:54 AM
https://www.facebook.com/GoodwillncwOutletStore/posts/680467375423361

Eric H
10-30-2015, 01:55 AM
ALL of the Goodwill stores in my area stopped taking TVs of any kind so for my area its a mut point so it really doesn't matter in my case, like I had previously stated several posts back I had asked an employee who worked at the local goodwill store near me if it was ok to haul off a CRT TV that was dumped outside of one of their donation boxes and they said it was fine because they weren't taking TVs anymore so like I said its a mut point right now I don't need people from other states where just because in your state they still supposedly take and sell tvs in them yet telling me that I can't rescue a TV from the goodwill dropbox just because you think it might be considered stealing when in reality what goodwill stores in your state doesn't have any affect on what goodwill stores do in my state so in reality its none of your business what me or other members on here want to do as far as rescuing older TVs and how we want to do it! if it means scrounging for vintage tvs outside of a goodwill dropbox in an area where its known that goodwill isn't taking TVs anymore then so be it! Like I said according to the people at the goodwill themselves they said it was perfectly fine to take a TV from outside of a dropbox since they don't take them anymore!

Relax already, if we want to discuss other stores that DO take the sets that's our business. It's got nothing to do with what you did.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 02:02 AM
Relax already, if we want to discuss other stores that DO take the sets that's our business. It's got nothing to do with what you did.

Actually it does because you're doing it in my thread, if you want to do it, go start your own thread! no thread hi-jacking!

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 02:09 AM
Many Goodwill stores also have their own ebay selling accounts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111785600186

I'm very much aware of that thank you very much mr. obvious!

But that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they accept CRT or other Analog Technology TVs! It just means that if someone donates an autographed book or autographed Beatles Album or an old radio from the 1940s or an antique oil lamp or some antique furniture that that's where they'll sell those aforementioned items, that's not necessarily where you'll find antique and vintage TV sets because like I said for the most part Goodwill doesn't take CRT TVs or any other type of TVs that are from the analog technology days like Rear Projection TVs or Console TVs or what have you, they don't even take CRT Computer Monitors anymore!

So like I said a hundred times already JUST DROP IT! AND HIGH JACK SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD!

Eric H
10-30-2015, 02:23 AM
Actually it does because you're doing it in my thread, if you want to do it, go start your own thread! no thread hi-jacking!

You started this thread to ask if it was okay to take a TV left outside the Goodwill Drop Box.
You also stated the Goodwill (across the board) does not accept TV's any more, therefore so you invited comments on this subject, and in fact they do take some TV's in some areas, I feel it's perfectly okay to point this out, you seem to feel it's an attack on you.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 02:41 AM
You started this thread to ask if it was okay to take a TV left outside the Goodwill Drop Box.
You also stated the Goodwill (across the board) does not accept TV's any more, therefore so you invited comments on this subject, and in fact they do take some TV's in some areas, I feel it's perfectly okay to point this out, you seem to feel it's an attack on you.

Because it is, if you haven't noticed some of the comments on this thread and how rude some of them were you would agree with me that some of the comments on here right now are basically just attack comments, I had already gotten the info I wanted and I already did the deed, I already stated that I had asked someone at the local goodwill if it was alright that I had taken the TV and even offered them a $5 donation for it and they said not to worry about it, so what part of that do you guys not understand?! If you guys can't get from my previous postings that I had already found out the information that I needed but still insist on beating the dead horse by continuously posting more and more attack comments then you clearly don't know when to stop and that's when it becomes cyber bullying and that needs to stop!

Electronic M
10-30-2015, 03:07 AM
It's not cyber bullying to point out exceptions to a statement that is not entirely true....It is a courtesy to others reading this thread that may be affected by the accuracy of the information in it.

If any correction of any incorrect information you post counts as cyber bullying to you, then to stop it you are either going to have to study like hell for a few decades to never be wrong/less informed than all other VK'ers, or ask us to keep our knowledge to ourselves and let you wallow in your misconceptions.....Developing thicker skin is another option.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
It's not cyber bullying to point out exceptions to a statement that is not entirely true....It is a courtesy to others reading this thread that may be affected by the accuracy of the information in it.

If any correction of any incorrect information you post counts as cyber bullying to you, then to stop it you are either going to have to study like hell for a few decades to never be wrong/less informed than all other VK'ers, or ask us to keep our knowledge to ourselves and let you wallow in your misconceptions.....Developing thicker skin is another option.

I wasn't referring to when people were pointing out supposed exceptions I got it that there were still goodwills taking TVs in other states (although they're breaking company protocol by doing so) but when they were telling me that I was theif and saying stuff like "what makes you think you're more entitled to have that TV than anyone else?" that's when they were crossing the line into bullying because I had already pointed out the fact that in my area (not theirs) that goodwill wasn't taking TVs anymore so I didn't think goodwill was going to care that much because it was just going to be recycled anyhow and even after I had confirmed that fact you guys were still bugging me about that which is why I called it cyber bullying because you guys kept pushing the subject and were trying to guilt trip me and what not even though I didn't do anything wrong, I even had the backing of several members on here who also agreed with me about the fact that since the goodwill wasn't taking TVs anymore then they probably wouldn't care if a TV was hauled off from outside of their dropbox area because then they wouldn't have to deal with disposing of it themselves.

I'll just say it one last time, If you think that your local goodwill is still taking tvs yet (which they technically shouldn't be) then you shouldn't take the TVs from the dropbox area, but if you know they aren't taking them (which is what they should be doing) then by all means go right ahead and take that TV because like I said before they don't care if you haul it off or not because its one less thing they have to dispose of.
Hopefully you'll leave me alone now on this subject, now that I have cleared the air once and for all!

wa2ise
10-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Compared to the ethical standards used in the boardrooms of major corporations and governments, the ethics of what we're discussing in this thread is miles above.

Sandy G
10-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Yeah, guys, come on ! We're all "Friends" here, no need to get all "Pissy" & "Butthurt"... Prolly BEST to at least ASK about a TV that has that "About to get "Shit-Canned" look to it, I'd think MOST people would be GLAD to get out from under the responsibility of hauling one to the Dump, or wherever...

AUdubon5425
10-30-2015, 07:50 PM
I stopped at my local Goodwill this evening and talked with the women. Sadly, 'tis true what you said. Someone smuggled seventeen television sets into the store and even took the time to hook them to a dtv box and even glue six price tags to each set (that's 102 stickers they lost to this scoundrel.) The manager informed me the Goodwill hazmat team should be arriving from New Jersey on Monday to remove the sets and decontaminate the back wall. Truly a sad affair...

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 09:57 PM
I stopped at my local Goodwill this evening and talked with the women. Sadly, 'tis true what you said. Someone smuggled seventeen television sets into the store and even took the time to hook them to a dtv box and even glue six price tags to each set (that's 102 stickers they lost to this scoundrel.) The manager informed me the Goodwill hazmat team should be arriving from New Jersey on Monday to remove the sets and decontaminate the back wall. Truly a sad affair...

rca2000
10-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Hazmat my ASS !!!!!!!!!!!

If ONLY...people in this country KNEW what they were TALKING ABOUT !! Instead...they listen to PAID RHETORIC--and THEN ACT on it...hurting EVERYONE !!

I just replaced a MERCURY CONTACTOR for a commercial fryer. I am SURE_-the OLD ONE_-which was "hanging up" and allowing the fryer to run-away and overheat--till the safety limit tripped. I am SURE the old one , which is FULL of mercury.....will be tossed in the TRASH !!That contactor likely contained 20 TIMES the amount of mercury--of ANY CFL bulb !! But ...they go NUTS--if one of them is broken...

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Hazmat my ASS !!!!!!!!!!!

If ONLY...people in this country KNEW what they were TALKING ABOUT !! Instead...they listen to PAID RHETORIC--and THEN ACT on it...hurting EVERYONE !!

I just replaced a MERCURY CONTACTOR for a commercial fryer. I am SURE_-the OLD ONE_-which was "hanging up" and allowing the fryer to run-away and overheat--till the safety limit tripped. I am SURE the old one , which is FULL of mercury.....will be tossed in the TRASH !!That contactor likely contained 20 TIMES the amount of mercury--of ANY CFL bulb !! But ...they go NUTS--if one of them is broken...

Interestingly enough your common blood pressure checker that your doctors use still use mercury in them (its acually the most accurate way to measure your blood pressure since its actually measured in Milimeters of Mercury (mm/Hg)) and then there are some instances that mercury is still used in thermometers yet (like some medical facilities and labratories use mercury filled glass thermometers yet) so there are still practical uses for mercury yet and in reality mercury can't kill you or poison you unless you ingest large commodoties of it, which most thermometers or blood pressure checkers don't even contain enough mercury in them to poison you, let alone kill you! So really I tend to agree with you there.

Eric H
10-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Please refrain from bringing politics into this discussion.

Captainclock
10-30-2015, 11:59 PM
please refrain from bringing politics into this discussion.

ok...

Captainclock
10-31-2015, 12:01 AM
Please refrain from bringing politics into this discussion.

Also I would like to know why it is that you're acting like an Admin right now when you should of been doing that when Wiscojim and some of the other he got riled up against me were doing their dirty deeds on here when they were talking trash towards me and derailing this thread, and in fact you were one of the ones that was encouraging their misbehavior.

WISCOJIM
10-31-2015, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I'm such a mean old bully.

You asked for opinions and you got them. Some you didn't like. Too bad. You started the thread, but you don't own or control the content. Threads evolve and migrate because they are like conversations. You just can't edit out the opinions of those who disagree with you and cry that they are hijacking it. If you can't handle that, perhaps forums are not the place for you. That's something you'll have to decide.

Captainclock
10-31-2015, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I'm such a mean old bully.

You asked for opinions and you got them. Some you didn't like. Too bad. You started the thread, but you don't own or control the content. Threads evolve and migrate because they are like conversations. You just can't edit out the opinions of those who disagree with you and cry that they are hijacking it. If you can't handle that, perhaps forums are not the place for you. That's something you'll have to decide.

No, it wasn't about whether or not I did or did not like when people disagreed with me, what I didn't like was how you expressed your opinion, which was in a really rude manner, you didn't have to say the stuff you did about me in your comments a simple "I think you should reconsider your idea" would of sufficed, not going as far as name calling and mud slinging like you did. That's what I had issues with. I considered all of your opinions and weighed the consequences I even took the flat panel tv back to the drop box area after a few people had suggested that HDTVs would probably be still accepted but not necessarily CRT Sets. And I even went to the goodwill store near me and told them that I had hauled off the old CRT set and offered to a $5 donation for it and they said not to worry about it, so like I said it had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't like people disagreeing with my idea, it had to do with how some opinions were expressed inappropriately on here.
If you think that everyday conversations involve mudslinging and name calling to get your point across then you're extremely out of touch with reality because that's not how you hold a proper conversation with someone in real life when you're discussing a topic that one may have opposing opinions on, one doesn't resort to slandering and name calling when you're discussing something like your favorite restaurant chain or hamburger when someone doesn't agree with you about those things, if everyone did that then there would be absolute chaos whenever we talked to someone. That's why there's proper conversational etiquette, which also carries true to online conversations as well, but when you have people who don't observe those rules that's when you start what's called "trolling" and that is absolutely inappropriate.

Eric H
10-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Okay, this has run it's course, thread closed.