View Full Version : Hirschfeld on 50's Televison

Penthode
10-25-2015, 09:57 PM
I came across Hirschfeld's send off of 50's US TV. Besides the prerequisite Roller Derby's and All Star Wrestling which he has depicted (and I recall) there are a number of personalities, some now long forgotten. Or have they?

How many do you recall or know?

old_coot88
10-25-2015, 10:20 PM
An all time favorite was William Bendix in Life of Riley. But can't seem to spot him in there.

Electronic M
10-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Groucho Marks, Kukla Fran & Ollie, Lucille Ball, Howdy Doody.....Apologies for any butchered name spelling/mistaken identity.

Eric H
10-26-2015, 01:04 AM
I can see Steve Allen, Liberace, J. Fred Muggs the Chimp, Jackie Gleason, Ed Sullivan, Milton Berle, Roller Derby, Kula Fran & Ollie, Howdy Doody, Nixon & Goldwater, Red Skelton?, Imogene Coca, Lucy & Desi, Betty Furness, Groucho, Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, Arthur Godfrey, Jack Benny, Donald Duck, Edward R.Murrow?,

Sandy G
10-26-2015, 08:59 AM
I know more of 'em than I prolly SHOULD.... And I bet a LOT of us do, too... But when you're fond of old stuff, it just kinda FOLLOWS that you know a LOT of this sort of stuff..

Eric H
10-26-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure the two in the center with the straw hats are Judy Garland and Ethyl Merman.
Pretty sure Bogart and Bacall are in there too, though I don't know what their connection to TV would have been, other than their movies were run on TV a lot.

It's too small to see but somewhere in there Hirschfeld probably hid his Daughters name "Nina", something he did with all his works.

AUdubon5425
10-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Thick glasses at bottom: Wally Cox/Mr. Peepers? Also, next to and above Groucho seems to be Dorothy Killgallen, John Daly and Arlene Francis.

Steve D.
10-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Remember way too many of them. Old enough to have seen them live on tv.

-Steve D.

stromberg6
10-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Remember way too many of them. Old enough to have seen them live on tv.

-Steve D.

Yes, I'm old, too. I know most of them, and can remember watching them on the family Muntz "21 Inch", a 1955 model my dad bought in Washington DC. When we moved to fringe area CT, he bought a GE portable with 3 IFs, and the Muntz was the victim of my early TV self-training. Rest in Pieces Muntz! :D
Kevin

old_tv_nut
10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Which ones are Nixon and Goldwater??

Left center is Senator McCarthy, don't recognize the guy to the right with glasses in hand.

Thick glasses at the bottom is Dave Garroway, signing off with raised palm and "Peace."

Walter Winchell, Dagmar, Edward R Murrow, Ike, Bishop Fulton Sheen, ...

Geoff Bourquin
10-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Geez I'm old. I know too many of them

Findm-Keepm
10-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Left center is Senator McCarthy, don't recognize the guy to the right with glasses in hand.

Thick glasses at the bottom is Dave Garroway, signing off with raised palm and "Peace."

Walter Winchell, Dagmar, Edward R Murrow, Ike, Bishop Fulton Sheen, ...

SPOILER ALERT:

http://alhirschfeldblog.com/?p=25455

about halfway down the page is a key identifying all the characters.

Nixon ain't there - someone else mentioned him, but he is MIA, along with Lassie - dunno why my favorite 50's show got the short....

Eric H
10-26-2015, 09:11 PM

I thought the two left and center were them, one has glasses the other has jowls. According to the identifying chart it's Attorney Joseph Welch
& Sen. Joseph McCarthy...

The one I thought Was Judy is Mary Martin.
I had suspected the guy with the paper was Walter Winchell (just because he had a newspaper) but wasn't sure.

WISCOJIM
10-26-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the two in the center with the straw hats are Judy Garland and Ethyl Merman.
Pretty sure Bogart and Bacall are in there too, though I don't know what their connection to TV would have been, other than their movies were run on TV a lot.

No Bogart or Bacall.

Also it's Mary Martin next to Ethel Merman, not Judy Garland.

Penthode
10-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Thick glasses at bottom: Wally Cox/Mr. Peepers? Also, next to and above Groucho seems to be Dorothy Killgallen, John Daly and Arlene Francis.

The fello at the bottom I believe is David Garroway, the first host of the NBC Today. Here he is with J. Fred Muggs on the Today Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bVzgz0PU3U

Penthode
10-28-2015, 07:39 PM
I forgot Dagmar and J. Fred Muggs. Thanks for the help.

No one caught the Show of Show stars Imogene Coca and Sid Caesar. I am not old enough to remember the original broadcasts. But I remember the kinescope reruns in the early sixties. Here is a clip from about 1952.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5KKAdFnOwQ