View Full Version : Shipping a CTC-5?

SwizzyMan
09-21-2015, 06:23 PM
So I am currently in the works of trying to pick up a CTC-5 "westcott". I just need a safe way to ship this thing from Massachusetts to Florida at a resonable price. Anyone have any suggestions?

SwizzyMan
09-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Here is a picture of the set

tvcollector
09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Uship.com, Around $200

I may know a mover that goes in the Massachusetts area.. Have to look at my contacts...

radio63
09-21-2015, 08:35 PM
I've utilized Craters and Freighters in the past with very good results. You'll need to locate the branch closest to where the set is at. I always caution them about the CRT cover on the back panel and how fragile it is. They can arrange delivery to your door. Best of luck!

Gilbert

SwizzyMan
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Well craters and freighters wants to charge me $1,050 to ship it. Haha, no. Anyone else here have any ideas on shippers who will do this for a max of $300? Going from Massachusetts to central Florida.

WISCOJIM
10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
What kind of quotes did you get from the aforementioned uship.com?

SwizzyMan
10-01-2015, 04:03 PM
$225 to 400 but the average price was around $325...

oldtvsandtoy
10-01-2015, 05:09 PM
$225 to 400 but the average price was around $325...
Watch who you get on uship. I have been waiting 3 months for 3 tabletops.������

vts1134
10-01-2015, 06:20 PM
I would also recommend caution when using uShip. I had a pickup and delivery all set for NJ to PGH and the guy just went AWOL, luckily it was before he picked up the set.

tvcollector
10-01-2015, 06:29 PM
I already told you.. Uship.. Go to Uship.com Create an account and put your shipment up on the auction board, at a fixed price around $200... Simple as that.. It will ask for Credit Card info and also charge you around a $20 fee when you book the mover, then it will give you the info and phone number to your mover.. It's the best way to get get these big sets moved... I've used Uship a few times with great luck, and even used the same mover from before without even having to use the website again..

You are also able to view feedback on the person similar to eBay auction...

TUD1
10-01-2015, 07:09 PM
That's an very nice looking set! If I saw that near me, I'd give up my C Note and then some! Good luck getting it!

SwizzyMan
10-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks! I really am hoping for the best here.

drh4683
10-02-2015, 05:02 PM
As mentioned, Uship is the only way to go. You need a private service, like a guy who will load it up in his minivan and haul it to you covered in a blanket and it won't get beat up and bounced around. Way cheaper and much safer. A win-win.

Before Uship came around, I used craters and freighters and that was a joke. I had a very nice 29JC20 sent to me from Washington state and they required it be "packaged" on a pallet and that alone was a fortune to get done. They basically treat your goods as bulk freight which is unacceptable for old TV's as they get handled very roughly. When i received the set and removed the box cover off the pallet, I noticed they put saran wrap around the entire TV so tightly not paying any attention, or caring, that they had bowed in the back cover so badly when they wrapped it around the tube cap. It was almost impossible to get that bow out of the back cover. I was really PO'd about that.

I also had a guy in Arizona use them who bought an RCA round screen color from me a few years ago. When he decided to go with C&F, I was very weary and sure enough, they spent all that effort to "box it up" on a pallet which is a total waste of time as nothing is protected from the shock of the ride and the TV bounced around so bad in the back of the semi that the convergence clover broke to bits and almost ALL of the tubes literally popped out of their sockets and were rolling around in the cabinet. It was a shame since the set was mint and then a bunch of cracked solder joints to go with it. So bottom line: DO NOT use a service in which a TV will be potentially shipped in the back of a semi truck, especially if it's toward the back of the trailer where the most shock and damage will occur.

etype2
10-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Uship can work but I caution you from personal experience. Uship does not vet or check the backgrounds of the shippers that bid on jobs. I know of more then three instances of shippers who picked up the items and never delivered them. I was one of them.

You can check what others say about a particular shipper on the website. I recommend you check the shipper you decide to use independently. Some shippers only have an open bed trailer. What if you encounter a storm along the way? Some shippers haven't a clue on how to protect a valuable vintage color set. You will get what you pay for. I would use Craters & Freighters or Pacmail. I have used both and they are excellent and know what they are doing.

Eric H
10-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Over $1000! Wow, either things got much more expensive or they're gouging.

I shipped a Truetone Combo from Portland Oregon to So Cal (similar mileage) for around $500, it's probably heavier than a CTC5, this was back in 2011 though.

etype2
10-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I also had a guy in Arizona use them who bought an RCA round screen color from me a few years ago. When he decided to go with C&F, I was very weary and sure enough, they spent all that effort to "box it up" on a pallet which is a total waste of time as nothing is protected from the shock of the ride and the TV bounced around so bad in the back of the semi that the convergence clover broke to bits and almost ALL of the tubes literally popped out of their sockets and were rolling around in the cabinet. It was a shame since the set was mint and then a bunch of cracked solder joints to go with it. So bottom line: DO NOT use a service in which a TV will be potentially shipped in the back of a semi truck, especially if it's toward the back of the trailer where the most shock and damage will occur.[/QUOTE]

Whoaaaa! I believe I'm the guy from Arizona your talking about. I bought the RCA Canton from you and used Craters & Frighters and what you said is not true. The only thing that did happen is the CRT shifted a tiny bit. It was easy to put back in position. No broken parts, no loose tubes, no cracked solder joints and it is still mint. The symptom I mentioned to you on the phone was corrected by adjusting the oscillator slug. It's all documented here:

http://www.visions4.net/journal/vintage-rca-color-tv/

Doug, I'm very pleased with the set and Craters & Freighters protected my investment very well.

Phil Nelson
10-02-2015, 07:21 PM
You will get what you pay for.Amen to that. I have used Craters & Freighters several times with outstanding results when they packaged and shipped the item. I have also used U-Ship, but keep in mind that U-Ship is only a broker. It is YOUR responsibility to vet the shipper beforehand and make sure you have a clear agreement on exactly how the item will be packaged and handled, all the way to your front door.

Phil Nelson

Eric H
10-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I've had three sets packed and shipped by C&F, all were packed superbly and none had the slightest shipping damage. They shipped my 621TS via Air Freight from coast to coast then trucked it to my door, that was actually the cheapest one to ship.

drh4683
10-03-2015, 07:36 AM
I also had a guy in Arizona use them who bought an RCA round screen color from me a few years ago. When he decided to go with C&F, I was very weary and sure enough, they spent all that effort to "box it up" on a pallet which is a total waste of time as nothing is protected from the shock of the ride and the TV bounced around so bad in the back of the semi that the convergence clover broke to bits and almost ALL of the tubes literally popped out of their sockets and were rolling around in the cabinet. It was a shame since the set was mint and then a bunch of cracked solder joints to go with it. So bottom line: DO NOT use a service in which a TV will be potentially shipped in the back of a semi truck, especially if it's toward the back of the trailer where the most shock and damage will occur.

I'm glad to hear your set is well. However, I wasn't referencing the Canton in that case (I sold the Canton in July of last year I believe). The set I'm referring to was an upright CTC-16 I sold in 2011 to a gentleman in Sun City. I remember your set had minor issues too which fortunately were easily corrected, but not NEARLY as bad as the CTC-16. But since you mentioned it, the Canton was no exception either, none of those issues should have happened in transit! I've been VERY weary of long distance transports that go in the back of semi trucks.

Everyone can say what they want about uship, and it's understandable that you can get stuck with some incompetent person, but I've met some VERY competent people through them and re-hired them without going back to uship. That's the best service anyone can ask for.

etype2
10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Thank you for for explaining. The coincidence was uncanny. You and I spoke and you mentioned to check to see if the tubes were loose and you also mentioned cracked solder boards. The set was purchased over a year ago, it was a RCA color round screen and I used Craters & Freighters. The set was built upon a pallet system as you had described. One thing CF did for me was was to install a "shock" system designed to absorb highway vibration. They also installed shock meters on the outside of the crate and gave me instructions to inspect upon delivery. The shock meters did not rupture.

Yes the CRT tilted just a tiny bit, but that was an easy fix. Just loosen up a few screws and rotate the CRT back in position.That was it. I am amazed to hear the kind of damage you described. How does one toss around a 375 to 400 lb crate on a pallet? Those heavy trucks are so posed to have what is called "air ride".

Here is an example of a "surprise" on a Uship delivery. It was a short haul from San Francsico to my area near Phoenix. The shipper in his ad showed a covered cab vehicle. I put notes that I cannot assist with delivery into my garage. The set was a 350 lb 36 inch Sony CRT set. I had a bad back and a hernia operation.

The set arrived on time, in an open trailer with no hydraulic lift. It was just covered in furniture blankets and the shipper wanted me to help him lift that beast off his truck and then place it on a dolly. No way I said. He had to ring a few neighbor doorbells to find a beefy guy to help him. I was embarrassed to put my neighbor through that. So if you have a single driver, at least have a hydraulic lift with a pallet mover to lift heavy loads.

Username1
10-03-2015, 10:37 AM
I don't think the truck gave the tvs a rough ride.... Shipping is done somewhat like
air travel. Items move towards their destination in a hub-spoke method.
I worked at a cross country shipping company many years ago.
Shipping across many states items are shipped from one terminal to another.
Upon arrival each truck is unpacked, and loaded onto a new truck headed
closer to the item's final destination. Forklifts generally don't have "air ride"
they ride on solid tires, there are often uneven ramps, cement
floors with seams that bump cargo, etc. I would bet most damage is done in transferring
between vehicles.... Forklift drivers tend to be hot-dogs driving quite fast,
and their job is to load and unload quickly. We often has speared items
from a slightly missed target by a FL Driver....

Oddly enough the less weight in your delivery truck, the more bumpy the ride
is likely to be. Because the springs are really hard. So that last 20 miles
to your house, over your pothole local streets are going to be the worst.

If you pick it up at a terminal, you can avoid the last 20 horror ! Ha ha !

Best option is like someone said, get 1 person to take it in a van, or pickup,
on an old mattress, all the way, no transferring, etc. I moved my ctc5 face down
on an old mattress, it was fine. Philly to Upstate NY.

Kevin Kuehn
10-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Try to avoid shipping large items through freezing temp zones. Plastics especially become very brittle. I'd also be cautious of shipping metal CRT types through cold climates, and probably CRT's in general would be better off shipped during the warmer months.

tvcollector
10-03-2015, 03:57 PM
My experience with Uship has always been good, other than the fact I used a mover again two years later and he didn't take care of the Magnavox properly and I ended up having to repair the cabinet, and he ended up refunding me half my money back.. Luckily nothing major was broken.. Make sure the mover you use takes good care of it, and tell them to remove the legs if it's a set that has screw in legs.. Also make sure to mention the back cover where the tube exceeds the back.. It usually takes around a month from the end of the auction date until the set is at your front door.... I usually tell them that Im in no rush and take your time.. Keep in mind those movers usually make alot more money with bigger things, and especially animals.. The guy I used 3 or 4 times was mostly an animal shipper, he owned a minivan and would have my set amongst animal cages.. The most important things is to remove unscrewable legs, and blanket wrap the set from being scratched, and the strap it down if it's not being held in by other things...

SwizzyMan
11-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Decided to try uship lets see how this might go!

oldtvsandtoy
11-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Decided to try uship lets see how this might go!

If you use uship do not use dusk2dawn they picked up 3 Tv's for me in July and I still don't have them.:no:

tvcollector
11-05-2015, 08:57 PM
What city and state is the TV located? I may have someone you can use..

SwizzyMan
11-05-2015, 09:00 PM
What city and state is the TV located? I may have someone you can use..

Bellingham, Mass 02019

tvcollector
11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Hmmm.. I don't think I have anyone that will go there.. I'm sure you'll find someone.. I've always had good results within a few days to a week..