View Full Version : Electronic Component Suppliers

user181
09-02-2015, 08:31 AM
What suppliers do you guys use to source new components, such as capacitors?

I'm finding that Mouser, Digikey, and Newark have minimum quantities of 1000 (or more) for some of the capacitors I've been looking for, so I'd like to know of other reputable suppliers/distributors that would offer parts in smaller quantities.

Also, what capacitor manufacturers do you like to use, or consider to be of good quality? The reason I ran into minimum quantities, I'm sure, is because I was trying to find exact part numbers called out in the parts list cross reference in my SAMS folder, and they're not normally stocked.

Thank you!

Findm-Keepm
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Mouser, Digi-Key and the like. For a few pennies less, you can go with others like JustRadios and the like, but for me, I stick to Nichicon, Pansonic and Nic Components caps. Just better quality, based on my experience.

What caps do you need that are unavailable, unless in 1K quantities? I have a deep stock of stuff for my use, but have a whole list of suppliers for specialty caps:

Low Voltage Electros - Talonix, multiple brands (Illinois Capacitor, Panasonic, Nichicon, Nic Components, some United Chemicon)
High Voltage Electros - for radials (all i use, can't afford Sprague Atoms) - I use Panasonics from Digikey and Mouser. Mouser ships quickest.
High Voltage axials - Allied, under the ASC brand - also check out their excess stock. I get a few things that way time to time.
630V radials - Digikey, Panasonic brand, and Mouser, they also carry Panasonic ECQs

With Digi-Key, if you prepay by check, there are no shipping charges: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3684826&postcount=1

I've used the free shipping for all but one order that I needed quickly, and I placed it via the web, and paid only $5 shipping.

Get some experience using Mouser's drill down search (Passives, Capacitors, Electrolytic Capacitors, voltage needed, value needed, and ALWAYS check the "In Stock box") - that'll give you a part number, and check the price over at Digi-Key to see if they are cheaper. I stress Digi-Key, because with multiple parts orders a year, I can save 30-40 bucks in shipping with their free shipping.

user181
09-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm looking for the following film capacitors:

0.1uF / 1000V
(Aerovox p/n BE10P1 is listed in the SAMS)

0.1uF / 400V
(Aerovox DBE4P1 or Cornell-Dubilier DPMS4P1)

0.039uF / 600V
(Aerovox DBE6S39 or Cornell-Dubilier DPMS6S39)

Thanks!

Findm-Keepm
09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm looking for the following film capacitors:

0.1uF / 1000V
(Aerovox p/n BE10P1 is listed in the SAMS)

I used this ASC for the .1/1000V boost filter in my GE Porta Color:
http://www.alliedelec.com/asc-capacitors-x675-1-10-2000/70006920/

Yes, it's 2000V, but it fits/works fine, and was available.

0.1uF / 400V
(Aerovox DBE4P1 or Cornell-Dubilier DPMS4P1)

Mouser: ECQ-E4104KF http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-E4104KF/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF%252bfZ13WJ%2fr1%2fhGA%2f bghBod8%3d

0.039uF / 600V
(Aerovox DBE6S39 or Cornell-Dubilier DPMS6S39)

Mouser: 667-ECQ-E6393KF http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-E6393KF/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF0%252bjlB8SXIRu%252bNXZaH 4bf7o%3d

Aerovox is now AVX, and no longer making film capacitors. Panasonic Caps are what I use for film caps, unless Nichicon or Nic Components makes a less expensive cap.

Cheers,

user181
09-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Thank you! This is for a PortaColor too, so I'm glad to know of the parts you used for this application.

Electronic M
09-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Voltage rating is generally the max voltage you can put on it without it potentially shorting...So you can always replace a cap with one of a higher rating.

Some values like .05 .02 .03uF have not been made (except for the audiophool crowd that has too deep of pockets) in decades, and you'll want to go with close standard numbers like .047 .022 .033, etc. If the application requires a more exact match for an odd capacitance use a parallel combination (capacitances in parallel add, voltages stay the same) of 2-3 caps (if your clever you can easily do it with only 2 in most cases).

user181
09-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Those are good points about voltage ratings and parallel caps.

In the course of searching I've come across polyester film and polypropylene film capacitors; for our application (TVs), is one any better than the other?

Thanks!

Findm-Keepm
09-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Polyester for general use, and polypropylene for pulse (read: horizontal sweep) circuits or any requiring a quick dv/dt. I've only used them in horizontal sweep circuits myself. You'll find most higher voltage caps (800V, 1200V, 1600V, 2KV) are polypropylene.

Some esoteric applications need different construction (polystyrene, polycarbonate, paper/foil, and even glass capacitors), but they aren't generally found in consumer electronics that are readily repaired.