View Full Version : Blessed by the God of collecting

ohohyodafarted
08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
A while back back a fellow I know, who is in the business of recycling electronics, called me because he knows I collect old tv sets. He was hired by the heirs of a hoarder who passed away. Seems, back in the day, the hoarder would drive around his neighborhood on weekends and pick up tv curb finds. Back then there were probably lots to choose from.

Due to reasons I will not go into, I was not allowed to go with the recycler to the house that was being cleaned out. However I had the recycler photograph the hoard and email the photos to me. That way I was able to tell him which sets to keep and which ones to send off to the crusher. I know that many of you would cringe at the number of sets that went to the crusher. Unfortunately we cant save them all, and the ones that went to the crusher were the common garden variety 21" and 23" B&W sets of the late 50's and 60's.

There were about 6 or so, common variety 10BP4 sets which I had him save and also the ones described below.

Yesterday I went to the recycler's warehouse. I tested all the 10BP4 sets and there was not a single set with a usable crt. So I passed on all those sets.

I took home the following shown in the photos below.

1....Admiral C322 21" color set. Blonde cabinet is extremely nice, however the original 21AXP22 had a brightner on it and it is dead for all practical purposes. I tried everything to revive it but there is to little emissive material on the cathodes to be of any use.

2....RCA CTC5 Whitby Deluxe. Very nice blonde cabinet in real wood veneers. 21AXP22 was replaced in early 1960 with a new RCA 21AXP22. The replacement tube has the green color phosphors as opposed to the earlier light gray/white phosphors. The tube tests like new.

3....Also got a nice early model GE Portacolor. Set is in very nice shape.

4....And last but not least I got a very unusual 7JP4 set made by Automatic Radio. The information I have found indicates it is a model 710 and sold for $220 in 1948. The only examples of this set I have found were all table models, and this one is a console. At first I thought the cabinet may have been a home made one because the cabinet is rather cheesey. But I am now certain it was an original factory made cabinet.

So yesterday was a good day for collecting. Hope you enjoy the photos.

SwizzyMan
08-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Always LOVED that beautiful whitby blonde cabinet! You sure have pleased the gods with this haul!

old_tv_nut
08-27-2015, 08:23 PM
CTC-5 blond deluxe UHF, later green face 21AX -- could you pick a few good lotto numbers for us while you're at it?

Electronic M
08-27-2015, 08:26 PM
IIRC there are 2-3 of those Automatic consoles known to exist.

Impressive haul.

You could have let some of the locals know about those monochrome sets you passed on before telling him to scrap them. If the price is right and and I like a set anything pre-1975 is potential game to me. Olorin67 is local and has been looking for monochrome sets with screens bigger than 21". One man's trash is another ones treasure as they say.....

Findm-Keepm
08-27-2015, 08:30 PM

Impressive haul.

You could have let some of the locals know about those monochrome sets you passed on before telling him to scrap them. If the price is right and and I like a set anything pre-1975 is potential game to me. Olorin67 is local and has been looking for monochrome sets with screens bigger than 21". One man's trash is another ones treasure as they say.....

I was thinking the same. Nice haul.

Sandy G
08-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Me LIKEY all of yr score...Dunno which I'd rather have-The Automatic or the Blonde CTC-5... Oh, well, its all academic, anyway..Prolly the Automatic...That's just "Odd" enuf to be REALLY "Pretty" to me..One can only IMAGINE the backstory on this set- Too many 7" chassis made-Did they have to sacrifice a 10" or 12" cabinet or 2? Using up 7" production-Maybe the ultimate purchaser got a SCREAMIN' deal on this..

sampson159
08-27-2015, 10:17 PM
this is the haul of a lifetime.couldnt have went to a better source.congrats to you!

BigDavesTV
08-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Nice score, like all of them, especially the Admiral and the RCA! And a good 21AX to boot! Congratulations

edison64
08-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Post deleted by me... :)

Olorin67
08-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Great finds! I'm pretty full up myself at the moment though. Still keeping my eyes out for one of the ellusive 25" or 27" sets. I did manage to find another S-C 23" school TV

ohohyodafarted
08-28-2015, 12:30 AM

Impressive haul.

Unfortunately due to the paranoia of the hoarder's family and the requirement for confidentiality by me from the recycler, I would have had to take the crap sets myself and worry about getting rid of them to other collectors after. I had no place to put them and was not willing to chance my getting stuck with a bunch of junk sets that I had no interest in. If the situation WRT the confidentiality had been different I would have been able to involve other area collectors, but the way things were, I had no choice.

I saved IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE sets and I attempted to save any B&W roundie. Unfortunately every round monochrome crt I tested was dead. I think the old hoarder pulled any good round crt and re-used them in fixing other sets. So what was left was all dead tubes.

As for the run of the mill 21" & 23" Zenith, RCA, Philco, Admiral, etc. B&W sets, they will never be valuable or rare. The factories pumped out millions and millions of these common 21" and 23" B&W sets from the early 50's to the late 60's. And there are still plenty of those kinds of sets out there if that's what you're into. As for me, if it doesn't have a round B&W crt or a 21AXP22 or older tri-color round tube, I am not wasting my time on it. As far as I am concerned, scarce, rare and valuable is what collecting is all about.

Dave A
08-28-2015, 01:56 AM
What is that little metal plate on the side of the Admiral for?

Findm-Keepm
08-28-2015, 02:01 AM
What is that little metal plate on the side of the Admiral for?

Escutcheon plate for user controls? Looks like 6 rotary controls?

Dave A
08-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Brian got it. I blew it up and it is rotary controls.

Username1
08-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Congratulations ! Looks like you got some really nice sets - in very clean condition !
I guess pockets of undiscovered gold still exist in them-thair hills.....

Electronic M
08-28-2015, 11:07 PM
I understand Bob, some situations make it hard to save everything that could be.
One small nit to pick though, as to your 'newer tube sets never being valuable or collectible' comment. Radio collectors were saying the same thing about post-WWII TVs within my lifetime, and round color sets that (except for the earliest examples) almost no one loved as recently as the late 90's are now all regularly fetching over 100$ a pop (assuming decent condition cabinet and CRT). I can rattle off a decent list of folks here that are collecting 70's and newer solid state sets and would offer decent money for some models. Sure many makers sold millions of some chassis, but that was before 50-60 years of attrition whittled that number down to a small fraction of that. Sure if one wants any random (for example) 1959 Zenith one can be had in 1 week to 3 months of searching (in most regions), but they offered at least 28 different cabinet styles (according to the poster hanging over my head) and most had at least 2 finish variations and remote control and UHF options....If one wants an exact cabinet/finish/electronic optioned model for some reason (for instance it was their first TV set) and it happens to NOT be one of the most popular combinations made, the time needed to find one for sale could be years instead of months.....Heck I've been looking for a specific mid 70's Quasar WID hybrid, that was the first set I can remember watching, for the better part of a decade now, and have never seen one with the same chassis in person....The only one similar (same cabinet and everything) I've seen since is in someones youtube video linked in the what I want link in my signature. A good portion of the collecting community have interest and see sometimes good value in sets that you would not think twice about leaving at the curb. I've went to the effort to save some sets that I would not buy for myself or even keep if they were free (though I'd be hard pressed to handle temporarily storing more than 5 additional consoles ATM) just to keep them from the land fill....There are a number of folks out there that would not be enjoying a given set if it were not for me....I see it as trying to look out for the interests of current and future generations of hobbyists that likely will not benefit from the same luck and bounty that I do here and now.
Sorry for rambling my point across with so much text....

I really like that Admiral color set. It is one of the models that, once I have more money at my disposal, I'll be on the lookout for.

Great finds! I'm pretty full up myself at the moment though. Still keeping my eyes out for one of the ellusive 25" or 27" sets. I did manage to find another S-C 23" school TV

Cool! There can't be too many of those still around.

Olorin67
08-29-2015, 12:52 AM
Seems Like with TV sets in particular, a lot of people want to track down the exact set their family had when they were a kid. in many cases, the set people are looking for isn't particularly "collectible" otherwise..
Fortunately, in my case, I grabbed it when It was replaced in the 80's, and still have it. (19" metal cabinet color tube Zenith from 1970-I think I've finally learned enough about TVs to tackle fixing it, but want to get some b&W sets of mine fixed first)

ohohyodafarted
08-29-2015, 02:46 AM
Well Tom, According to the ETF web site, it looks like there are a total of 8 known examples of the Admiral C322 color set. I would say that makes it fairly rare to find one. 2 of the 8 sets are in my collection, Blonde and Mahogany.

Hopefully after I pass away you will have enough money to buy one of mine from my widow when she liquidates my collection. To the best of my knowledge, it has been about 9 years since the 7th one was unearthed, and I purchased that one for $1K from the fellow who discovered it.

According to a couple of very serious collectors, I have been told that the Automatic Radio 7" set is the real gem. So I guess it comes down to how rare a set is. I didn't think much of it when I saved it, so I guess I don't know much about collect-ability.

I am busting at the seams with sets that I have no room for. I need to move some B&W sets to other collectors to make room for the sets I want to keep. All sets are roundies of course. So if you or someone else in the area are interested in adding a roundie or two to your collection, let me know. I usually place the value at 150% of what the crt would sell for but of course that's negotiable.

tvcollector
08-29-2015, 04:30 AM
You know how bad I wish I could find stuff and have endless amount of space to store stuff.. It's to the point to where I have to let stuff go, and no room to even learn more about how to restore these things... It's become a nightmare, and my family now thinks I'm such a bad person due to the fact I like to collect history and preserve it.. I pay around $400 a month on storage units to just store things.. Does anyone on here thinks it's worth it? when it gets in the way financially, and between family? I keep being reminded that that money I use which they think I throw away can be used in better things, such as a nicer car, a vacation, and instead you have junk that weights you down...

jstout66
08-29-2015, 06:19 AM
You lucky bastard! :)
LOVE that Admiral.

tubesrule
08-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Bob,
Tom G has a scan of my Automatic sales brochure on his site where you can see the various sets they had including your console.

Darryl

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1946-49-AUTOMATIC.htm

Electronic M
08-29-2015, 03:00 PM
I am busting at the seams with sets that I have no room for. I need to move some B&W sets to other collectors to make room for the sets I want to keep. All sets are roundies of course. So if you or someone else in the area are interested in adding a roundie or two to your collection, let me know. I usually place the value at 150% of what the crt would sell for but of course that's negotiable.

Depending on how things go I may be moving in the next few months to year. Until I know exactly where I'm going to be living for the next few years I don't intend to permanently acquire any more consoles (if one comes in it can't stay long or another must go). If any of the sets you want to sell are table sets I might be interested.

ohohyodafarted
08-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the link Daryl.

I decided to work on the Porta-Color this afternoon. These little GE sets were very reliable, and I was surprised that it did not work when I first plugged it in. I powered it up on the variac, but I did not get any filaments to light. Testing the input voltage confirmed that I did have power to the set. Darn series filaments. Pulled each tube starting at the left rear (left being opposite the tuner) and worked my way toward the tuner. Of course the last tube tested, (4LJ8) in the tuner had an open filament. Murphy's Law! I searched through the tube inventory and found a good used replacement and popped it in. The tubes lit up and I got a raster. I let it sit for about 30 minutes to stablize and then did a few adjustment and was rewarded with a very nice picture. I dont know why the photo has so much grainyness. Screen looks much better in person.

Jon A.
08-29-2015, 05:52 PM
You know how bad I wish I could find stuff and have endless amount of space to store stuff.. It's to the point to where I have to let stuff go, and no room to even learn more about how to restore these things... It's become a nightmare, and my family now thinks I'm such a bad person due to the fact I like to collect history and preserve it.. I pay around $400 a month on storage units to just store things.. Does anyone on here thinks it's worth it? when it gets in the way financially, and between family? I keep being reminded that that money I use which they think I throw away can be used in better things, such as a nicer car, a vacation, and instead you have junk that weights you down...
Paring things down to what you really like would be helpful. I've gotten rid of 4x as many TVs as I have now since I started collecting, and other assorted items I knew I would never use. As for family members thinking you're a bad person just because you collect and preserve history, that's absolute rubbish. You're not hurting anyone, they have no right to tell you how to live your life. It's not gambling, drinking or drugs, it's a harmless hobby. Unusual, but harmless. I have been told by at least one person that he had never heard of anyone collecting TVs. I would probably get that more if I knew more people.

hi_volt
08-29-2015, 07:09 PM
My friends and work associates are fascinated by my hobby. My folks, when they come and visit me, are always interested in what I've recently acquired, and they call the room where I display most of my sets my "treasure room".:thmbsp:

Username1
08-29-2015, 09:00 PM
mmmmmmm T r e a s u r e R o o m ---------

Gregb
08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
I have most of the basement for my hobby and half is the "TV Room" and the other half is the "Radio Room". Even my wife doesn't complain because she always knows where I am.
Everyone that sees them is really impressed with all of the vintage sets I have and the fact that most of them are in working condition. I try to keep things organized so it looks like a collection and not a hoard.
I collect radios, TV's, vintage test equipment, and tubes. I must admit that this is an addiction because I have a really tough time passing up anything tube related that comes up for sale in my area. I have driven up to 1500 miles to pickup an item that I feel I can't live without that is to big to ship. I am considering flying down to the convention sometime and renting a truck to haul home what ever I happen to buy there.
You only live once and if this is what makes you happy NO ONE has the right to stand in your way.
Happy Collecting and may the TV and Radio gods smile down on you!

Gregb

Sandy G
08-29-2015, 10:43 PM
"Porta-Potties" were cheap & Nasty, but NOBODY bothered to tell THEM that, so they just worked, & worked, & WORKED... My Dad got one EARLY on, in late '65, IIRC, little sucker was on a good 18 hrs a day, 7 days a week, til he got a big Trinitron about '72 or '73. I THINK we had to put a couple/3 tubes in it over the years, but otherwise it was a TROUPER.. That was before our house was A/C-ed, it was in the kitchen/den/dining room, & it got HOT in there..

TUD1
08-30-2015, 05:54 PM
That RCA Victor is on the very top of my list for getting a vintage TV. I love the look of it!

Electronic M
08-30-2015, 06:55 PM
That RCA Victor is on the very top of my list for getting a vintage TV. I love the look of it!

IIRC your a radio guy. If that is so, you will want to work on a monochrome set before you even touch a tube color set to avoid opening a can of worms you are not ready for. Also CTC-5s are fairly rare....In the South unless you happen to live in a good area for vintage TVs you may be lucky to find any round screen color set.

TUD1
08-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that's probably true. I'd like to find an electronically restored RCA Victor from the late 50's. Those are my favorite. I wonder how much that would cost? I really only want to have one nice vintage TV.

Electronic M
08-30-2015, 09:52 PM
A decent unrestored CTC-5 will probably run you $250-600 from someone that knows what it is.....Restored probably in the $400- ~1000 range. Roundys pre-1960 did not sell well back then and are not easy to find, thus the rarity makes them sought after and valuable. Unless you know how to test a CRT for gas don't buy one with it's original 21AXP22 unless it works enough to light the screen....Gassy CRTs test GREAT for emission, but will not display a picture (ask me how I know).

I'd recommend a CTC-7 or later for a first set. Cost and scarcity is lower and they use the all glass CRTs which are MUCH less likely to be gassy.

Don't think restored is a way to get around working on them. I've restored several sets and the ones that see regular use need at least annual maintenance.

TUD1
08-30-2015, 11:37 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice. I have no problem with the CTC-7, 9, and 10 sets. I'm obviously new to the vintage (pre 1970) TV community, but a few years back, I collected 70's and 80's sets. My daily driver is a 1989 Zenith.

Sandy G
08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
IIRC your a radio guy. If that is so, you will want to work on a monochrome set before you even touch a tube color set to avoid opening a can of worms you are not ready for. Also CTC-5s are fairly rare....In the South unless you happen to live in a good area for vintage TVs you may be lucky to find any round screen color set.

Yep...Around here, up til the mid '70s, anyway, a LOT of people were POOR... A Color Set was just about an almost UNIMAGINABLE Luxury... I remember going to my mothers' cousins place in the Sixties, because Johnny & Caddy had a COLOR SET... It was a sort of funky olive-green metal cased Zenith, IIRC. They HAD color broadcasting there in Kingsport, but I don't think their color set had ever been properly set-up, the screen was sort of a funky purplish/green color on B/W stuff..

wkand
09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Absolutely right Sandy!! Even up here on the left coast, before Seee-attle became a hip place people were losing their homes in the late 60's early 70's. My dad did not have a good job for 3 years, and dad was willing to not eat vs. not having TV.We kept our Zenith roundy as our only set from '65 through '75. we got a lot of snarky comments from neighbors because we had color and they did not. Our backup set was a '54 Admiral BW metal set.

Steve D.
09-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the link Daryl.

I decided to work on the Porta-Color this afternoon. These little GE sets were very reliable, and I was surprised that it did not work when I first plugged it in. I powered it up on the variac, but I did not get any filaments to light. Testing the input voltage confirmed that I did have power to the set. Darn series filaments. Pulled each tube starting at the left rear (left being opposite the tuner) and worked my way toward the tuner. Of course the last tube tested, (4LJ8) in the tuner had an open filament. Murphy's Law! I searched through the tube inventory and found a good used replacement and popped it in. The tubes lit up and I got a raster. I let it sit for about 30 minutes to stablize and then did a few adjustment and was rewarded with a very nice picture. I dont know why the photo has so much grainyness. Screen looks much better in person.

Bob,

I'm sure you're aware that the early GE Portacolor sets used the same size dot pitch as their large screen color sets. This produced a somewhat grainy picture on the small screen, lacking the sharpness you might expect. I recall buying, from the GE distributor, a GE Portacolor set the first day they went on sale. I noticed right away the lack of some detail in the image.

-Steve D.

ohohyodafarted
09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I figured it was something like that. I also think I zoomed in to close with the camera. If I had taken a more wide angle shot and then cropped the photo it there would be less detail and it would probably have looked better.

Tom S
09-03-2015, 06:06 PM
I have the Same GE Porta color set. Great little performers