View Full Version : 1960 top of the line entertainment center

Steve D.
08-25-2015, 12:51 AM
It didn't get much better than this in 1960.

-Steve D.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=187841&d=1440478307
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=187842&d=1440478307

Olorin67
08-25-2015, 01:02 AM
You could have heated the house will all that... The second drawer must have a turntable or record changer,the lower tape unit looks like a fidelipac, looks like it plays more than one size of cartridge. The larger carts held a hour or more of music, and were often used to supply stores with music. The smaller fidelipac cartridges were the same as '4-track ' car stereo cartridges and broadcast carts, if I recall right.

Eric H
08-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Ahem.. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265030

Steve D.
08-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Eric,

I simply reposted a photo that was on Facebook. I thought it would be of interest to the VK group. Many would not have had the opportunity to view the photo otherwise. Now you have reposted it as well.

-Steve D.

Tim
08-25-2015, 02:01 PM
The bottom left of the unit, looking at the large photo, seems similar to the Seeburg HSC home jukebox system with the numbered slots. The levers? under the numbers don't quite match up though. Maybe just record storage.

Eric H
08-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Steve, sorry, I thought I posted first but I didn't.

I'll delete mine but will leave this link to the full sized version over at Shorpy.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/20039?size=_original#caption

And this picture from Ed Reitan.

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/images/CTC7_Late/CTC-7_Southbridge300.gif

Steve D.
08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
No problem Eric. I thought I had done something wrong. Interesting that they used a Southbridge console as a "built in" unit. Glad that my long time friend Ed Reitan is still contributing to our vintage TV community after his passing. Miss Him.

-Steve D.

MRX37
08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Imagine lugging that thing back to your house...

In a volkswagon beetle

Electronic M
08-25-2015, 05:22 PM
That had to be one of the most complete and expensive component entertainment systems assembled in it's day.

MRX37
08-25-2015, 06:34 PM
And once assembled it would never leave. It was easier to just put up a new wall then to try and dislodge the beast from its place of residence.

Username1
08-25-2015, 07:12 PM
and once assembled it would never leave. It was easier to just put up a new wall then to try and dislodge the beast from its place of residence.

hahaha ! !

Electronic M
08-25-2015, 09:42 PM
And once assembled it would never leave. It was easier to just put up a new wall then to try and dislodge the beast from its place of residence.

Ahh, a builtin in the truest sense....

ZackN920
08-30-2015, 01:19 AM
Anybody here seen the "MA and PA Kettle" film's? Reminds me of the set up they had in the house that they won in the one movie. There's even had remotes next to the lounge chairs that would control their wall of entertainment!

MRX37
08-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Something else about that photograph I find a bit odd. The smiles on both the child and (presumably) mother's faces.

The mother looks mildly displeased, and the child looks like she's giving one of those forced smiles, like she's been threatened with punishment if she doesn't give the cameraman a nice big smile.

DavGoodlin
08-31-2015, 04:20 PM

And the speakers, are probably still there.... It would be very interesting to see what was selected.
Possibly Jensens in a Klipsch enclosure:scratch2:

consoleguy67
08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Or some monster Wharfedales!!

KentTeffeteller
09-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Not really a packaged high end console per se. More like custom installation using separate components here. What also killed high end package console sales post 1962 as well. Custom installation. Higher end often or different than a unified package console.

RJMiranda
09-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Something else about that photograph I find a bit odd. The smiles on both the child and (presumably) mother's faces.

The mother looks mildly displeased, and the child looks like she's giving one of those forced smiles, like she's been threatened with punishment if she doesn't give the cameraman a nice big smile.

Sure they are not happy. They were the ones that hauled the set into place! How would they be smiling?

Sandy G
09-04-2015, 01:46 PM

This was also posted over on Facebook... Hoo, Boy ! Yeah, that woman looks like she'd be a REAL "Piece of Work"... The little girl, I'll wager was a Brat, 1st Class. I PITY the poor service guy who had to go FIX this Abortion-On-Toast when it Took the proverbial Chit.. The color set, about ANYONE would be workin' WAY over their lunch, trying to yank it loose.. You could NEVER be entirely sure the latest Hand Hold you got on it DIDN'T have 120VAC on it... And Mrs Gotrocks looks like the kind who considered ALL "Service Guy" types to be WAY under HER exalted station in life, & wouldn't hesitate a second to give the poor sap a Piece of her Well-Educated Mind, if this thing wasn't 1000% the way it was B4 it took its latest Crapola.. The Sweet, cute l'il girl would undoubtedly be right in the middle of what Service Guy was TRYING to do, either that, or she'd be a PERFECT "Little Miss Horse's Ass", 'cause she was missing the latest episode of "My Friend Flicka", or somesuch....

Jon A.
09-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Not unlike my desk.
Sure they are not happy. They were the ones that hauled the set into place! How would they be smiling?
I'd be standing in front of it striking a bodybuilder pose.

old_tv_nut
09-04-2015, 05:14 PM
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254899

Steve D.
09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Another ad for RCA Victor's "Mural" TV. This one from 1960 and includes both the color tv & stereo Hi-FI set up in the same room.

-Steve D.

ChrisW6ATV
09-05-2015, 12:04 AM
That 1960 ad sure makes the color CRT look like a rectangular one. I bet the artist did not know or think of the difference.

Sandy G
09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Trust me... You DO NOT wanna try to "Wrassle" an over heavy TV/radio w/o LOTS of help.. Had to "Manhandle" my 152 LB Rohde & Schwarz, W. German "Boatanchor" all by my lonesome... Saw stars, moons, planets, "Lightnings" & OTHER funky stuff.

Tubejunke
09-13-2015, 03:59 AM
You guys can have the RCA "wall of sound" and color along with the disgruntled ready made family and I will take the lowly Southridge and the mighty fine bird bumped up against that happy TV any day!

What ever happened to that kind of sex appeal? Classy and respectable! Nice TV too....

KentTeffeteller
09-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Cost too much to do. Consoles got cheaper down the years until the last ones were fourth rate particleboard.