View Full Version : Have the chance to get a zenith a4519w, worth the purchase?

pendulum
07-27-2015, 06:09 PM
I have been in talks with an individual who has a zenith model a4519w 23inch color set for sale. I usually don't go for sets this new but I thought I would see if it was rare or uncommon and worth aquiring. He also has a zenith black and white super z chassis set if anyone is looking for one of those. Also, if anyone has the sams (1120-3) and could scan it, I would like to look it over. Thanks!

DaveWM
07-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Only if you want one of the best TV sets ever built, and would like to have a daily watcher that will be trouble free. Otherwise pass on it.

Jon A.
07-27-2015, 07:54 PM
A purchase like that I wouldn't even have to think about as long as the price wasn't totally crazy. Those things are the duck's guts.

dieseljeep
07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Only if you want one of the best TV sets ever built, and would like to have a daily watcher that will be trouble free. Otherwise pass on it.
It has a 12A12C52 chassis. 12 tubes and many solid state devices. GVG tuner and a first generation Chroma-color black matrix CRT. Best picture in the business at the time. I don't remember replacing a flyback in one of those. :thmbsp:

zeno
07-28-2015, 08:34 AM
A very solid set. The cabinet is plain & there is nothing
special about the set. There is no WOW factor.
So value I dont think is much.
If you know the CRT is very good & the cabinet near mint
go for it if you like it.

73 Zeno:smoke:

DaveWM
07-28-2015, 08:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wth_e1DPPSk

here is one of Dougs using that chassis. built like a tank.

dieseljeep
07-28-2015, 09:28 AM

I bought mine at the Habitat For Humanity Restore, when they were taking in TV's for a donation. I bought mine for a donation.
They don't do it anymore, as it's a problem to get rid of them. :thumbsdn:

DaveWM
08-06-2015, 12:28 PM
so did you get the set?

dieseljeep
08-06-2015, 02:21 PM

The "WOW" factor was in the picture! At the time, It seemed to have the best picture in the business. I thought, this black matrix thing is really something! :thmbsp:

pendulum
08-06-2015, 02:40 PM
so did you get the set?

No, while a cool looking set the space I currently have is limited and I'll be heading off to school soon so I can only take some small portable sets to work on. The ad is still up for anyone in the Detroit or Toledo area who is interested. Here is a link.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/atq/5139307947.html

zeno
08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Such brand loyalty. I bet all 4 just need minor work to
bring them back from the brink. Hope someone gets them.
Super Z, first CC, a CC2 & a late one before Gold Star did
its dirty deed............

Electronic M
08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
The set you passed on is in the Boyden cabinet. I have the same set with the 12B13C52 chassis. The fine picture detail, focus, and convergence are the best of any tube/hybrid set I own, and easily rival any SS CRT set. Mine has been my main set since early 2009 and aside from a few issues has been quite solid.

It takes a new H output, and chroma osc. every 3-4 years, the focus divider drifted in the first year or two and I had to compensate by adding mega ohms to the ground side of the focus pot, and if a primary starts to flicker bright or go absent one of the chroma amp transistors is going bad (only one so far, but now I know how to trouble shoot it).

I'd recommend this set to anyone looking for a solid, high performance Zenith with tubes. It really should be saved.

drh4683
08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Is that A4519 set still available? Hopefully it's not in danger of being crushed...