View Full Version : Upstar Model P250WT 19" LCD TV has no picture

Captainclock
07-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone, a few years back I had bought at a local computer store a 19" Upstar (cheap Chinese made unit) LCD HDTV for $120 and it worked pretty well for a while but then it decided to take a dump on me by not showing a picture anymore It will show its splash screen just fine but then after that it refuses to show the screen for the tuner or the video input sources, at first I thought it was a bad power supply (it uses one of those 12v 5A power supply bricks) so I had ordered a new one from parts express, but when I got the new power supply and hooked it up to the TV it still wouldn't show a picture.

Any ideas as to what might of happend to my TV, and what I could do to fix it? Or is it that I just need to toss it?

WISCOJIM
07-19-2015, 08:07 PM
You sure that's a 19" TV? If so, you have got the model number wrong. The P250WT is a 25-inch set.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Upstar%20Tampo%20P250WT%20LCD%20HDTV%20Manual.pdf

Captainclock
07-19-2015, 10:16 PM
You sure that's a 19" TV? If so, you have got the model number wrong. The P250WT is a 25-inch set.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Upstar%20Tampo%20P250WT%20LCD%20HDTV%20Manual.pdf

It said on the box when I got it that it was a 19" set.
It could also be that the size was misrepresented on the box (leave it to the Chinese to falsely label something for export to the American Market which is very common as well.)

Anyways I looked on the website for the company and they no longer have support for that model because they've already moved onto LED Sets and so I was unable to look up the model and or figure out what the issue was with it, I was hoping someone on here might have had a similar experience with another similar TV if not the same model and could tell me what could be causing this TV's issues and whether or not it could be easily repaired.

Eric H
07-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Well if it shows a spash screen then the panel must be working, unless the back lights crap out shortly after booting up.

I assume you've tried all the different inputs?

My only contribution would be to tell you to take the back off and look for bulged electrolytic capacitors, beyond that someone else will have to chime in. :yes:

Findm-Keepm
07-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Well if it shows a spash screen then the panel must be working, unless the back lights crap out shortly after booting up.

Probably the case - I had an AOC that did just that - AOC splash screen and then nuthin' -

Shine a flashlight at a low angle across the screen while it's running. If the picture is there, you can see it. That tells you that the CCFLs are bad, and you need to pull them, measure them, and order a pair. Get several more than you need - you will break one, for sure. I've replaced CCFL on about 8 sets, and had only one go easy from start to finish. eBay is full of the CCFL lamps - search "backlight lcd tv" for replacements. They are measured in mm length.

Also, if you are going to troubleshoot LCD sets, this tester comes in handy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-12V-CCFL-LCD-Tube-Tester-Support-10-52-Tube-For-Laptop-Screen-Repairing-/170906315632

I have the HR Diemen TL1040 (mine was 90 bucks, but was the original back in 2004, before the Chinese made them), and it is a great go-no go tester for CCFL backlights for LCD TVs, monitors, and laptop screens.

Cheers,

Captainclock
07-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Probably the case - I had an AOC that did just that - AOC splash screen and then nuthin' -

Shine a flashlight at a low angle across the screen while it's running. If the picture is there, you can see it. That tells you that the CCFLs are bad, and you need to pull them, measure them, and order a pair. Get several more than you need - you will break one, for sure. I've replaced CCFL on about 8 sets, and had only one go easy from start to finish. eBay is full of the CCFL lamps - search "backlight lcd tv" for replacements. They are measured in mm length.

Also, if you are going to troubleshoot LCD sets, this tester comes in handy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-12V-CCFL-LCD-Tube-Tester-Support-10-52-Tube-For-Laptop-Screen-Repairing-/170906315632

I have the HR Diemen TL1040 (mine was 90 bucks, but was the original back in 2004, before the Chinese made them), and it is a great go-no go tester for CCFL backlights for LCD TVs, monitors, and laptop screens.

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure that what you just described is what happened to my TV as the splash screen shows up fine but then it craps out once it goes to the source screen (e.g. tuner, HDMI, A/V etc.), I did shine a flashlight into the screen while it was powered up and I saw the screen but there was clearly no light source (like you said bad CCFLs) although what was weird is that I had a 12v power supply that was at 1 amp and when I hooked it into the TV and powered on the TV, the TV worked fine albeit with a high pitched whistling noise but it had a backlit screen and everything which when that happened I initially thought maybe a bad power supply so then I bought it a new power supply and plugged it in thinking that would fix the problem and no dice, for some reason when I hooked up the new power supply it went back to just showing the splash screen properly but then after that nothing even with the new power supply so its got to be something else causing the issue.

Captainclock
07-29-2015, 10:54 PM

I assume you've tried all the different inputs?

My only contribution would be to tell you to take the back off and look for bulged electrolytic capacitors, beyond that someone else will have to chime in. :yes:

I looked all over the back of that TV and the only Electrolytic capacitor in the back of that TV was one on the inverter board for the CCFLs but other than that there wasn't really anything else in that TV electrolytic wise that would of been responsible for the issue I was having (since it uses an external power supply brick to power the TV instead of a built in Power supply like most LCDs do.)