View Full Version : 1959 Zenith

bigaudioal
07-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Finished the restore on my 1959 Zenith. Came out great!

http://youtu.be/qcRdI3AwHp0

Kamakiri
07-07-2015, 05:32 AM
For reliability and picture quality, you just can't beat a 1955 and up Zenith black and white set :)

Username1
07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Looks Good ! I like those 50's years sets where the tube is not fully square....

BigDavesTV
07-07-2015, 11:37 AM
That looks great, the picture quality is like new! Good job!

Radiotronman
07-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Great job! Everyone's gotta have a 21" zenith. Totally watchable and great picture!

OvenMaster
07-07-2015, 04:36 PM
That... is amazing. :yes: Great work, Al.

consoleguy67
07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
That is a beautiful, Zenith quality picture.

Kamakiri
07-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Great job! Everyone's gotta have a 21" zenith. Totally watchable and great picture!

I agree! :D

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=187198&d=1435425326

bigaudioal
07-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys! This was a very easy restore that only took me two days from start of recap till finish. Reward was great. Picture is the best I have had on any vintage set I have owner. Have been watching it every night for 2-3 hours for the past 3-4 nights.

ZackN920
07-07-2015, 11:42 PM
That photo that Kamakiri put up makes me kinda feel like Homer Simpson in candy land...LOL:nutz:
Nice job AL. Looks Kick-Ass!:thmbsp:
Hopefully mine will be as easy resto as your's, other than that I have to recoat my flyback.:(

Electronic M
07-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Unless there is arcing or corona off the fly doughnut there is no functional need to replace the coating, only cosmetic reasons....And it is hidden in a box anyway.

DavGoodlin
07-08-2015, 03:08 PM
A perfect set to watch the Twilight Zone on :)

That is when Zenith began jacking up monochrome sales and put a major hurt on all but RCA monochrome sales by the end of the 60s.

Great picture from the precision in-home broadcast Al!

ZackN920
07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Unless there is arcing or corona off the fly doughnut there is no functional need to replace the coating, only cosmetic reasons....And it is hidden in a box anyway.
Well, ive got a weird sound that come's from the high voltage cage, so somethings going on. I just figured it was because the flyback's naked:naughty: I dont know, I just want to get it recoated anyway's.
Ha! Ive actually watched the Twilight Zone and a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock on mine:cool:

Electronic M
07-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Well, ive got a weird sound that come's from the high voltage cage, so somethings going on. I just figured it was because the flyback's naked:naughty: I dont know, I just want to get it recoated anyway's.

Mine had an HV tick from conductive goo forming on the HV rect tube socket insulator. The noise you hear could be from anything between the fly and HV connection on the CRT, inclusive. I always start arcing repair with thorough systemic cleaning (which is usually the cheapest least invasive step) when the source is not blatantly obvious.

bigaudioal
07-22-2015, 01:55 PM

That is when Zenith began jacking up monochrome sales and put a major hurt on all but RCA monochrome sales by the end of the 60s.

Great picture from the precision in-home broadcast Al!

Thanks Dave. I love the agile modulator broadcast method. Lets me pipe in any signal from DirecTV, VCR, BlueRay with wifi, my laptop, etc. Got a 4-way switch so have 4 components always hooked up and can just switch between them. Makes it easy to get anything I want on my old sets.

Tubejunke
07-22-2015, 05:22 PM

My advice would be getting a firm grip on what's going on with that flyback or that uber reliable Zenith will fade to black and stay that way! If by "naked" you mean that the wax has baked off of the fly, then it has been or is running hot and shouldn't be.

For the record, I have a complete chassis and Space Command tuner for that set in case you do have issues.