View Full Version : 1949 Zenith Porthole 12" Console

damen
06-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Hi all I picked this up on Craigslist for $44 bucks I have wanted one for a long time but do not see these in Portland since there was no TV over the air till September 1952 . I took it apart to put it in my car so thats why the insides are out of it. I am not sure but I think the picture tube is original it is a Rauland tube and is Aluminized with no ion trap which at first I thought was a replacement tube but I noticed the schematic picture looks like the same tube with no ion trap and even the sticker is in the same place. I was happy to see that tested good and passed the life test. I think its possible that a lot of the tubes are original most have the old style Zenith logo on them. Hard to say for sure. I have not powered it up but have started the recapping process on it and I will post pictures when it is done.

kramden66
06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Maybe i'm wrong but Rauland might be the original ? i've seen more then one zenith that had a Rauland in it and looked original.

Radiotronman
06-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Great find, I have a friend I've been trying to get that model from for a while. I am currently restoring the zenith 28t926 12" table set, which looks like the identical chassis.

damen
06-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Great find, I have a friend I've been trying to get that model from for a while. I am currently restoring the zenith 28t926 12" table set, which looks like the identical chassis.

I just saw yours today and you are doing a great job on it. I like the Portable version to as it would be more easy to find a place to put it. I have most the caps replaced but had to order some more.

Sandy G
06-27-2015, 02:39 PM
ANOTHER convert to the Porthole Club !

Kevin Kuehn
06-29-2015, 01:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken Zenith first sourced CRT's from Rauland, and later ended up buying the company.

WISCOJIM
06-29-2015, 06:33 PM
http://zenithbook.blogspot.com/2014/11/post-18.html

"Meet E. Norman Rauland! He is a pioneer in the electronics manufacturing business. In 1929, he founded the Rauland Corporation, and in 1946, began manufacturing cathode ray picture tubes in 10- and 12-inch sizes. (Note from REC--I recall watching a television set with a 10-inch screen, You had to crouch close to the tiny image to see shows like Sid Caesar's Show of Shows, with Imogene Coca. It seemed miraculous, and far more impressive than merely listening to the radio.)

Zenith purchased the Rauland Corporation in 1949, a purchase that included a picture tube division and a sound and communications division, and also a plant for picture tubes on Knox Avenue in Chicago. The Knox Avenue plant was later consolidated into a new plant in Melrose Park, Illinois, and expanded to become what we know now as the Zenith Rauland picture tube plant. Incidental to that purchase, Norman Rauland was appointed to the board of directors of Zenith."

damen
06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the awesome information on that. Seems it probably has the original Picture tube in it. I know its the first TV I have seen that old with a original aluminized tube. I thought that aluminized tubes came out around 52 or 53 until I did some goggling..

damen
06-29-2015, 06:46 PM
ANOTHER convert to the Porthole Club !
:D:yes:

damen
08-16-2015, 10:18 PM
After a lot of work getting the chassis restored and refinishing the cabinet
"It's Alive" "It's Alive" :banana::banana:

baursam
08-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!! I have the Mayflower, 28T925R, the tabletop version, one of my faves and always attracts a lot of attention

azbigsam
08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Looks great! This makes me really want a working porthole one day.

Sandy G
08-17-2015, 06:03 PM
MY Porthole has generated more "Ooohs & Ahhhs" than all the rest of my Good Junque together has... People, especially Youngsters, are CAPTIVATED by them.