View Full Version : Samsung 32" from 2012 (easy fix)

radiotvnut
06-23-2015, 07:36 PM
The other night, someone brought me this 32" Samsung TV from 2012, after it had stopped working. He said he called a shop about fixing it and they told him over the phone that the problem was either a bad panel or a bad sensor and it would cost at least $200 to fix it. He then thought about putting it to the street; but, remembered that I worked on electronics. So, he gave it to me.

Upon power up, I found that it would fire up, shut down, fire up, shut down until the plug was pulled. As soon as I pulled the back, I spotted a puffed up Samwa 47uf,160V capacitor. After I replaced that capacitor, the set fired up and worked fine.

I think we all know that Samwa capacitors are not known for their quality and I probably should have recapped the whole power supply board; but, I left well enough alone for now.

I don't know if this set will stay here, be sold, or be given away; but, I was glad to finally get a modern TV that was an easy fix.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/samsung%20014_zpsgclzzmqf.jpg (http://s538.photobucket.com/user/radiotvnut/media/samsung%20014_zpsgclzzmqf.jpg.html)

Findm-Keepm
06-23-2015, 11:39 PM
Good save!

Samwa=trash.

SAMWHA = good/decent caps, often seen underrated, 85 degree cap where a 105-degree/low ESR cap would be better, or a 25V cap on a 24V B+ line - I see that a lot, and always step up to a 35V cap.

The Samsungs with the bad Samwha 470uF and 680uF caps on the 24V B+ line were poorly designed - 25 volt caps - again, up them to 35V/105 degree Panasonic FC, FM or FR series and they'll work fine! The squatty 47uF/160 caps also go, as you've seen. 85 degree, or with a blue/green case, I always replace - dead giveaways that they are 85 degree caps, and don't belong in a 350W flat panel set! They are cooking to death....

I was looking at the NTE caps at our local distributor - some were Samwha and Lelon in the package....even yuckier pricing.

Cheers,

Brian

radiotvnut
06-23-2015, 11:56 PM
The original capacitor was a 105 degree capacitor. I replaced it with a 105 degree 200V Nichicon capacitor.

ChrisW6ATV
06-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Hearing of a dying 2012 Samsung makes me happy that my 2010 set is still good so far. But, I don't use it constantly.

colectorad
06-26-2015, 07:16 AM
This set has one of those four-directional button sticks. I trust it's cheaper than using discrete buttons, albeit, less convenient for the end user.

Jeffhs
06-26-2015, 06:54 PM
This set has one of those four-directional button sticks. I trust it's cheaper than using discrete buttons, albeit, less convenient for the end user.

Very glad to read here that the set is working again; now it should play indefinitely. Replacing that Samwa cap with a Nichicon is a step in the right direction. The next step, of course, will be to replace all the other caps on the PS board. Replacing the one that failed is a start, but the others are time bombs which can and will fail :eek: at any time.

That Samsung TV's remote seems a lot (to me, anyhow) like Zenith's Z-Trac of the late '80s-'90s, only the latter had a trackball to change the settings on menus and such. (The RCA-branded universal remote I use with my entertainment system has a similar four-way control arrangement, with a button marked "OK" in the center to confirm the settings changes.) I don't know how the Samsung's remote is set up, or whether the "four-directional button stick", as you put it, is actually on the set's front panel or below the display.

Edit: I just looked at the picture of the Samsung TV in operation. Didn't see any "button stick" control arrangement anywhere on the front of the set, so you must have had reference to the remote.

radiotvnut
06-26-2015, 07:29 PM
It's a single round button, on the bottom of the set in the right-hand corner. I don't have the original remote; but, a $5 remote from Big Lots works it perfectly. We'll keep using it until it dies. At which time, I'll try to fix it and if it's not worth fixing, I'll scrap it. Hopefully, it will last a long time; but, it's no big deal if it doesn't, since I have basically zero money in it. Well, the only problem might be that my Mother has gotten used to watching it and she might not be too happy if I put a 20" CRT back in there.

Geoff Bourquin
07-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I really hate that joystick interface. I guess they figure 20-30-year-olds grew up with a joystick in their hand so it'll feel natural to them. I grew up turning big clunky knobs while waiting for the tubes to warm up, so having to navigate a little menu just to turn the damn thing off is stupid.

BTW, nice save. So many sets get scrapped just because of 1 capacitor.

radiotvnut
07-08-2015, 08:08 PM
So far, it's still working fine and gets used every day.