View Full Version : What do you use to get paint specs/flecks off a wood tv cabinet ?

kramden66
05-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Without redoing the finish , curious of the different methods that can be done.
mike

stusnyder
05-13-2015, 03:42 AM
Without redoing the finish , curious of the different methods that can be done.
mike

Goof off works pretty good.

decojoe67
05-13-2015, 04:42 AM
It may sound dangerous, but a brand new safety blade! You very lightly glide the blade over the finish, nearly flat, but just lifted slightly. The paint drops just pop-off. Sometimes you have to use a bit more pressure right near the paint drop. If there's a residual mark, it will be easily be removed with a cleaning product. I do this one any type of surface. I've used this technique for decades and it makes quick time of the job.

Polaraligned
05-13-2015, 05:43 AM
I have had best luck with my fingernails...

Findm-Keepm
05-13-2015, 07:09 AM
I have had best luck with my fingernails...

+1 here, and the Chicago Tribune agrees.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-08-26/business/0508260321_1_latex-paint-small-putty-knife-cherry-table

WISCOJIM
05-13-2015, 09:38 AM
I use a credit card.

Phil Nelson
05-13-2015, 11:40 AM
If it is latex paint, you can lay on a rag soaked with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and leave it for a while. The paint drop will soften and rub off (with a soft rag) pretty easily. Mineral spirits will not harm a lacquer finish.

Some of the answer depends on the underlying finish and the nature of the spot. If the underlying finish is tight and solid, and the paint drop has enough thickness, you can pop it off with a fingernail or credit card, etc. If the underlying finish is weathered and the paint drop is thin or it has smeared into miniscule cracks/crazing of the finish, soaking with paint thinner and rubbing may be needed.

Phil Nelson

Gregb
05-13-2015, 12:29 PM
I have a Philco pedestal with a bunch of paint drops on the plastic, I have tried the finger nail with no luck. Any thoughts on this?

Gregb

NoPegs
05-13-2015, 07:02 PM
I have a Philco pedestal with a bunch of paint drops on the plastic, I have tried the finger nail with no luck. Any thoughts on this?

Gregb

Granulated Sugar and fingertips.

Electronic M
05-13-2015, 08:44 PM

Gregb

IIRC someone here mentioned oven cleaner.

Gregb
05-13-2015, 10:44 PM
I would think oven cleaner would damage the plastic.

Gregb

Eric H
05-14-2015, 12:32 AM
I mentioned the Oven cleaner after someone here had told it to me.

It worked great on a 1959 RCA that had it's bezel painted pink, should work on a Predicta, but as always, test on an inconspicuous area.

It took a while to work, I think it was Latex house paint, if it were Lacquer or Enamel it might etch into the plastic and never come off, in that case you would have to sand it off and re-polish the case.
Predicta plastic responds very well to polishing, I completely sanded and polished the CRT housing on my Pedestal to get rid of the scratches, also had to do the screen cover, those polish well also.

Gregb
05-14-2015, 08:27 AM
I certainly looks like it did a good job on your RCA, I may give it a try. Other than the paint drips my plastic is in excellent condition with very few scratches.

Gregb

Radiotronman
05-14-2015, 08:46 PM
I've had really good luck with Easy Off, oven cleaner believe it or not. Works great on getting those mold spots off knobs and cabinets, that usually reappears later. Just put a small amount on a rag, let it bubble a little, wipe it on and buff quickly. It'll take them right off.

dtvmcdonald
05-15-2015, 08:31 AM
I've had really good luck with Easy Off, oven cleaner believe it or not. Works great on getting those mold spots off knobs and cabinets, that usually reappears later. Just put a small amount on a rag, let it bubble a little, wipe it on and buff quickly. It'll take them right off.

There are different kinds of Easy Off ... which one?

Radiotronman
05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
I just used the one with the blue cap. Not the scented one. Don't use it on bakelite, but it works great on easily taking off layers of dirt and smoke that would take tons of elbow grease with other cleaners. I have a Rca 721ts I almost stripped because it looked so bad and had tons of layers of dirt and smoke. I used it by applying to a rag, then the case and it has a high gloss right now and looks like new.