View Full Version : Sony kv-2142r ???

cjacek
05-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi,
I'm in a bit of a quandary and was wondering if someone here can help? The other day I found a local guy selling a SONY KV-2142R with remote. He is the original owner, bought this TV in 1980. It's in like-new condition. From the model # it looks like it's a 21 inch screen. Other than that, nothing more can be found. I'm especially interested in the going value of this set because I'm trying to make an offer to the seller but at the same time not "low ball him". He seems to be attached to the TV still because his asking price is very unrealistic. He wants $500 for it (yeah, I know) but he says to make him an offer. Does anyone have an example of this model (or similar) being sold and the final price recorded? That way I can show him and it'll convince him that I'm making a fair market offer. As it stands I have none of this info available to me. I love those old trinitrons but have never seen this model. How does it stack up quality wise? Photo attached.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Electronic M
05-09-2015, 10:27 PM
The seller is nuts these sets are 'put out for the garbage men' valuable to most people, and few in the collecting community care about something that new (those that do can get then for close to free which also keeps prices down). In your shoes I'd not offer more than 50$ (10$ would be generous in my area) assuming you REALLY want it bad, and it works with a bright CRT that does not show tint from one or more guns aging at a different rate than the others....Honestly his asking price would have made me walk away without even contacting him.

Jon A.
05-09-2015, 10:48 PM
I don't know about him being attached to it, many just have no idea how much these usually go for.

It's been a long time since I heard tell of a 21" Trinitron. Depending on how much you want it, some negotiations might be in order. If you have no CRT tester, just turn the color control all the way down. If it's healthy It will produce a perfect black and white picture at any brightness or contrast level.

ChrisW6ATV
05-09-2015, 11:58 PM
That was the top-of-the-line, biggest Sony Trinitron when it was sold in 1979-80. A year or two later, they started making the 26-inch consoles. But, yes, the asking price is wildly out of the reasonable range, I think. I bought the 19-inch version of that set, in excellent physical condition and with a decent CRT but with a bit of vertical fold, for $10 with its remote control.

Marco-nix
05-10-2015, 06:17 AM
I would say to the guy " keep your tv at this price " $500..Man, don't pay this price !. $10 to $20 is a fair price for this Sony. Even cleaned, the value of this tv is not $500

Je dirais à cette personne, " Tu vas le garder longtemps ton téléviseur à $500.." Même propre ce téléviseur vaut approximativement, $10 à $20 et c'est un bon prix .

zeno
05-10-2015, 07:21 AM
The set has zero true value. In fact around here you have
to pay $10-$30 to bring to the dump.

The set is a 21" (22" in Canada) Sonys biggest at the time.
Very expensive new probably around $700 Canadian.
It is also a SG613 set so NOT repair friendly in the
horizontal / HV stages.
But it is a big improvement over earlier Sonys. The chassis
is modular & has a clean layout. Well built & the CRT's
held up well.

73 Zeno:smoke:

walterbeers
05-10-2015, 08:20 AM
I've always liked Sony Trinitrons as they all seem to produce a super good picture when working right. I agree they are not worth much today, but I have one on the bench that I use for hooking up to older VCRs, etc as a test monitor. Many Sony's use a horizontal output and regulator switch (thyrister?) (SG613) that if it shorts, both of them go, and the set become a bear to repair. They are expensive and somewhat hard to find, and if there is one little problem (IE a bad cap, connection, driver transistor etc), and you replace them and power it up with a problem left in the circuit, it's POOF, there gone again. I had a 17 inch set that used them and at first the set was working fine, then all of a sudden due to a open filament transformer for the CRT, I was going to replace the transformer, moved the fold out boards around with power on and POOF, the SG613s were blown. Never the less the set got junked.

Marco-nix
05-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I agree Walterbeers... on some other brands, we can change a piece one at the time and we can power it up for viewing if something is better than before..not Sony ..i have 2 sonys , a 9 and a 12 inch one needs a recapping and the other , just an adjustment on top of the screen... However. i keep my Sonys ;)...

jstout66
05-10-2015, 09:26 AM
My parents had a Sony 26" console from 79, that worked for years, and surprisingly that picture tube held up. Set finally conked in 2001, as it started having odd high-voltage issues.
I myself have never had the best luck with "vintage" Sony's.. the picture tubes are always bad. I did have a 12" one I wish I would have kept.
And $500.00... I HATE clueless sellers like that. He wouldn't have been able to get that in the early 90's when you could still get decent money out of used TV's....

Jon A.
05-10-2015, 04:29 PM
And $500.00... I HATE clueless sellers like that. He wouldn't have been able to get that in the early 90's when you could still get decent money out of used TV's....
That circa-1974 XL-100 console for sale nearby is still priced at $375 after almost two months. I can't help but wonder if the seller is stubborn enough to have it scrapped when he/she gets sick of it taking up space.

cjacek
05-12-2015, 04:25 AM
Thank you very much to all who have replied. Much appreciated. I sent the seller an email with an offer of $75 with hopefully a persuasive argument why he should take it. If he doesn't laugh me off or I never hear back from him again then that's fine. I offered the max that I'd be comfortable with. If he takes it and the TV craps out on me or I find something wrong later on, then the $75 will pay for the lesson learned and maybe a cool looking decorative piece. No big deal. I would feel like a dummy though if I paid much more than that, even if I really wanted it. Thanks again for the advice.

Jon A.
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Good, please let us know the outcome.

cjacek
05-14-2015, 04:43 AM
I sure will update once I hear anything from the seller. So far, nothing. I think you're right that it's not that he's attached but rather that he's clueless about prices. I'm sure he heard "somewhere" that these sets fetch good money on the collector's market. And he wants to believe it. I actually written out this whole rather lengthy email trying to educate him on what he has there but he probably took it as if I wanted to pull wool over his eyes and get this thing cheap. Doesn't look like he took my advice. Looks also like his ad was reposted on craigslist (having originally been on there a month) with a *new* price.:headscrat By the way, I made an error by saying he wanted $500 for it originally. He actually wanted $600! Now his price is "lower" at $500!:screwy:! What's more is that he doesn't even provide the model number but makes sure to put "collectors" in the description. I had to email him in order to get it originally. I wonder what he's thinking. :no:

etype2
05-14-2015, 09:12 AM
It's probably not worth the effort, but show him a few EBay listings for comparable sets. That will put reality into him.

Yes, even EBay sellers sometimes price way to high as well. $500. is way out of line.

Jon A.
05-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I sure will update once I hear anything from the seller. So far, nothing. I think you're right that it's not that he's attached but rather that he's clueless about prices. I'm sure he heard "somewhere" that these sets fetch good money on the collector's market. And he wants to believe it. I actually written out this whole rather lengthy email trying to educate him on what he has there but he probably took it as if I wanted to pull wool over his eyes and get this thing cheap. Doesn't look like he took my advice. Looks also like his ad was reposted on craigslist (having originally been on there a month) with a *new* price.:headscrat By the way, I made an error by saying he wanted $500 for it originally. He actually wanted $600! Now his price is "lower" at $500!:screwy:! What's more is that he doesn't even provide the model number but makes sure to put "collectors" in the description. I had to email him in order to get it originally. I wonder what he's thinking. :no:
Quelle surprise. More often than not I get no reply from Kijiji sellers. 25 bucks was dropped from the price of the XL-100 console quickly enough, but it has remained at its current high price ever since I inquired about it, even though it's not likely anyone else has done so. Good thing it's a RCA in a French Provincial cabinet, I might be ticked off about it otherwise.

rca2000
05-14-2015, 03:48 PM
I would say to the guy " keep your tv at this price " $500..Man, don't pay this price !. $10 to $20 is a fair price for this Sony. Even cleaned, the value of this tv is not $500

Je dirais à cette personne, " Tu vas le garder longtemps ton téléviseur à $500.." Même propre ce téléviseur vaut approximativement, $10 à $20 et c'est un bon prix .

Did that set even cost $500--when it was NEW?

I have ZERO interest in those old Sony sets. Likely a GCS set---and we ALL know that means a NIGHTMARE in troubleshooting a dead -set !

MAYBE --if I wanted it--which I would NOT--and IF the tube was GOOD--(as we know trinitrons are NOT the longest--lived CRT's out there--NOTHING like a roundie tube..and they will NOT take rejuvination either..) i MIGHT offer $30 or so. But I would make SURE the tube was good first. If the set could not drive it--then I WOULD bring a tester like a CR-70 or such and make SURE it was ok.

Jon A.
05-14-2015, 05:39 PM
It would be particularly important to verify the health of the jug in one of these. Not only are replacements limited to those from Sony, try finding another 21" Trinitron jug.

cjacek
05-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Thanks again.

I actually signed up for and sent the seller an Orion Blue Book report on this TV set model. Haven't heard back yet (not holding my breath) but maybe this will make a difference. It's like you guys were saying that this set is pretty much worthless on the used market. For those interested in pricing for this model who will see this thread in the future, I have attached a screen shot of the Orion Blue Book report.

Marco-nix
05-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks again.

I actually signed up for and sent the seller an Orion Blue Book report on this TV set model. Haven't heard back yet (not holding my breath) but maybe this will make a difference. It's like you guys were saying that this set is pretty much worthless on the used market. For those interested in pricing for this model who will see this thread in the future, I have attached a screen shot of the Orion Blue Book report.

So, there's a big difference between the initial retail pricing and the current used trade-in value !!..As buyer, nop, he would keep his television for a long time at this price he asks. for my part, I find that the seller is a bit stupid in trying to make money on the backs of buyers! ... Even the most beautiful and rare TV model, I would not buy it at $ 500 or $ 300 .. .I do not like to say this but ... You really want to be incredulous to pay this price for a TV of this type especially the CRT never lasts long (Trinitron) .. $ 20 it's enough paid.. sorry for my bad english...

zeno
05-15-2015, 07:15 AM

I have ZERO interest in those old Sony sets. Likely a GCS set---and we ALL know that means a NIGHTMARE in troubleshooting a dead -set !

MAYBE --if I wanted it--which I would NOT--and IF the tube was GOOD--(as we know trinitrons are NOT the longest--lived CRT's out there--NOTHING like a roundie tube..and they will NOT take rejuvination either..) i MIGHT offer $30 or so. But I would make SURE the tube was good first. If the set could not drive it--then I WOULD bring a tester like a CR-70 or such and make SURE it was ok.
It is the last SG613 chassis. I got one out of the dump in the mid
80's & used it for a bedroom set. Had an open damper, the
old top-hat style, SG613 & pass transistor shorted. Sold it later for
$200 I wish those days were back !

73 Zeno:smoke:

jr_tech
05-15-2015, 12:23 PM

I remember them being *quite* expensive for a table model... in the $600 - $700 range.

jr

cjacek
05-15-2015, 07:43 PM
To put aside this rather clueless seller when it comes to pricing for a moment, I had expected that after my rather lengthy "educational" (but respectful) email to him several days back and now taking even more time to send him an Orion Blue Book report, he would have had at least the decency to get back to me with a short "thanks but no thanks" note. This is not so. Not a peep from him so far. Not a nice guy. I hope he proves me wrong.

Electronic M
05-16-2015, 01:14 PM
He probably decided that if it don't pay his mortgage it is not worth his time.

ChrisW6ATV
05-19-2015, 02:41 AM
I remember them being *quite* expensive for a table model... in the $600 - $700 range.

jr
That sounds about right. The 19-inch version with remote control was about $550 typically.