View Full Version : Central Iowa TV and radio guy here

aaronwhite30
05-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Checking in from Grimes Iowa. Love restoring antique radios and TVs. Don't have a large collection by any means but passionate just the same.

Started a part time home electronic repair business about a year ago and almost bit off more that I can chew. With just Craigslist advertising I was overwhelmed with people wanting there flat panel tvs repaired. Good word-of-mouth advertising and customers saying how great it was to finally find someone to help them out. Not bragging, just really surprised. I also have a good share of audio equipment repairs as well.

That's all for now, just happy to be among people who share the same passion.

Thanks,
Aaron

walterbeers
05-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Well, hi, at least there is someone on here that isn't that far from me. I'm in Omaha, NE. and ran a home TV and Electronics business from 1970 till about 1998 when I gave it up as I wasn't making any money at it. Nearly everything became foreign made and it seemed that electronics became a throw away item. I went to work for a fast food place, in which I am still employed. Although I didn't do much of any electronics work for about 25 years, and got rid of some of my equipment, I got interested again as someone had a CTC9 RCA that was very similar to my first color TV for sale. I bought it and got interested in doing repairs again. I still have the set and is one of my keepsakes. Then I started to get interested again. Luckily I still had some of my equipment, tools and my benches. I got interested in fixing older electronics again and have been doing it as a hobby for the last 3 years or so. I started picking up antique and unique sets and doing restorations on them. I found an RCA 1947 TS721, a 1953 Sylvania halo-light, a 17 inch Philco console, a wagon wheel style Packard Bell B&W, 2 GE portacolors, VCRs, stereos and more. Well I've got most of them working and also got interested in repairing and upgrading computers. Thanks to the internet I'm able to find parts on places like E-bay, and I keep checking Craigslist for more collectible and unique older electronic items. I met a friend on VK here in Omaha, user name (Jstout) and he has had me restore and repair many items that he has found, everything from a 1948 Chairside Zenith radio, to TVs, VCRs, tape decks, receivers, etc. Also did a major restoration on a 1939 pre-war Zenith console radio for another friend Rick (titan1A on this site) that I have known for well over 30 years. I also came across a 46 inch flat screen really cheap, put a $25 board in it from E-bay and gave it to my sister that became her main TV. I also picked up a Philco Safari TV right up there in your area just north of Des Moines. The Philco Safari is a working set as well. I have in my family room a 50 inch Panasonic flat screen, along with my computer, a 150 watt receiver, speakers, with external sub woofer, an 8 track deck, cassette deck, and of course a turntable which are used for my main entertainment electronics. Well guess the electronics bug hit me again! I am almost 65 years old, married, and have 2 grown sons that are out on their own. If you hear of any good deals around your area, I don't mind making a quick trip up by Des Moines to pick up unique and antique TVs that are re-storable. I mainly restore the electronics, but not much good at cabinet work. However some Old English scratch polish goes a long way. Keep in touch, if know of something for sale in your area, or need some advice. You can get a hold of me on this site, or e-mail me at wjb122750@hotmail.com Just like you I don't have a lot of room, just my shop area in the basement, and I drive a Jeep Compass which kind of limits me on picking up very large consoles. I haven't done a lot of flat screens, but have repaired a few, Most of them that I have picked up have had bad or cracked screens. Good luck in your endeavors. Repair of electronics can be very frustrating at times, but also quite rewarding.

electronjohn
05-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Welcome to VK!

Titan1a
05-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Welcome! I love collecting all kinds of electronics but I prefer vintage radios and computers. Walter, who previously posted, forgot my console is a pre-war 1939 7S363 not a '47. I plan on purchasing a pre-war table model radio before the end of the year to go with my 1958 Zenith AM-FM. American-made is good stuff.

walterbeers
05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Sorry Rick, (Titan1A) I knew the console radio was from 1939, I don't know what I was thinking of. Sometimes my mind gets boggled with too many figures and things going on. I edited the post.