View Full Version : newbie

fixmeplease
05-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Hello from MN! I just dragged home an old Zenith my Dad bought new in 1963 and am thinking of getting it going again. First I must read a lot on here, then maybe a few questions. I'm glad there are sites like this around.

Titan1a
05-02-2015, 07:31 PM
I just got started myself. This is a really neat place! Just take your time as you would in a really big store.

Findm-Keepm
05-02-2015, 10:03 PM
And if you need any help, we're here to guide you along, and many of us have resources - schematics, parts, troubleshooting help - but sorry, no help with the urge to bring home more old sets. :D

Welcome to VK - we're one big family!

Cheers,

Olorin67
05-03-2015, 07:43 AM
is it a color or B&W set?, either way, both are fairly popular sets and easy to work on. I have a few Zenith B&W sets from that period.

electronjohn
05-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan!

fixmeplease
05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Mine is a model K2108, chassis 16K27, with a 19CQP4 CRT from 1963 I think. I forgot to ask my Dad but I think it is a B&W. I was too young to remember it but it would have been the first TV I watched. He "thinks" it was slowly losing its picture when he stopped using it. I think I tried plugging it in once years ago and it didnt work. No cord now. It does not use a remote control.

Olorin67
05-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a very common Zenith B&W chassis, let me know if you need parts, I have a couple of them gathering dust. Main thing to getting thse sets running is the main filter capacitors, bring up the voltage slowly, or just replace them anyway. These sets are built like tanks. Used to find working examples at garage sales in the 80s and 90s all the time, people only got rid of them because they switched to color..I used one in my college dorm room in the 90s. And on September 11, 2001, i dug one out of the closet to watch the news. None of my modern gear would pick up a signal because i reeally lived in the boonies at the time. the zenith was able to pick up stations from 60-70 miles away with just the built in rabbit ears. easy sets to work on.

fixmeplease
05-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I plan on replacing all the capacitors before doing anything else. Ive recapped a few radios with success but this is all new to me. When I get close to having it ready, or have it working, I will likely throw a parts wanted on the classified. Could just be cosmetic parts. I plan on watching it a lot if i get it working as I watch a lot of old westerns.