View Full Version : 1984 Zenith 13" color set

Adam
04-04-2015, 10:34 PM
I picked this up recently. I usually don't go in for a TV this new, but I was wanting a small color set to watch in bed, and I liked that this had both the remote and the auto-off. I was surprised it also had the on-screen display (it shows up in the picture down below). It's the sort of thing I would expect more on a high end 25" console, rather than a 13" set in the plastic cabinet. I don't have a remote for it yet, but I bought one and it just hasn't arrived yet. I've been watching it for a few hours now, so far it works good with no problems.

radiotvnut
04-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Even 13" TV's were expensive back then and the full blown models like what you have don't seem to be as common as the knob tuned models. I think I have 3 13" Zenith TV's from the '80's. One has a single knob varactor tuner and the other has a continuous tuner like what you'd find in a radio (both use a 9-160 power supply module). The other one is from '84 and is the knob tuned version of your set (uses a 9-186 sweep module). At the thrift store, there is one that looks to be a little newer. It has the lightning bolt logo, red LED channel display, and a standard pull-on/volume knob.

Marco-nix
04-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Nice find Adam....I have a Zenith 13' B&W with tubes and I love it.. the set needs to be recapped but viewable. However i decided to put my Zenith in a wardrobe for a future project when i will have time..

zeno
04-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Good sets needless to say at 25 yrs old. Too bad the doors
missing. Zenith used the same basic chassis from 13-27"
so you get most the same features. I still got one a
few years older & it still runs 95% like new.
IIRC this set was $350-$400 new.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dieseljeep
04-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Good sets needless to say at 25 yrs old. Too bad the doors
missing. Zenith used the same basic chassis from 13-27"
so you get most the same features. I still got one a
few years older & it still runs 95% like new.
IIRC this set was $350-$400 new.

73 Zeno:smoke:

I have one similar, but it's not remote. It has a rotary volume control and a keypad tuner, built in June 1985. I didn't think it was that new.
It was a curbside set about nine years ago. The CRT is just a little tired, but looks good after a few minuites. :thmbsp: